New College First Name Last Name Pos Hometown St/Ctry HS/Prev College Tr Club

# North Texas Tiffany Adams M Wichita KS Texas A&M-Commerce TR

North Texas Amanda Dvorak D Bedford TX Trinity HS DFW Tornados

North Texas Kendall Juett M Carrollton TX Creekview HS Sting

North Texas Melanie Peterson G Fort Worth TX Fosill Ridge HS Sting

North Texas Lauren Shockey M/D Plano TX Plano West HS Dallas Texans Red West

# North Texas KD Waters D Arlington TX TCU TR Solar

Edited by GrandGreen

Just curious, how can we tell if soccer recruiting is going well? Is is just good that we are getting committs or what?  Seriously, I have no clue.

If you'll notice the players have their high school listed and then a club team that they are a part of as well. While I don't see personal stats for each of these young ladies it is generally a pretty good sign when players are with club teams because it implies that they are a higher caliber of player and that they play soccer on a more regular basis than the average player, thereby honing and improving their skills.

If you'll notice the players have their high school listed and then a club team that they are a part of as well.  While I don't see personal stats for each of these young ladies it is generally a pretty good sign when players are with club teams because it implies that they are a higher caliber of player and that they play soccer on a more regular basis than the average player, thereby honing and improving their skills.

Thats true Emmitt...

In soccer, College Coaches don't go to the high school games to recruit you. They go the club soccer leagues. But, don't get too decieved about it all. just about anybody can get on a club soccer team. What matters is which club team you are on. For instance, the well known clubs around the area are the Dallas Texans, and Texans. Well, those two were the better ones when I was in High school in the mid-late 90's. But there are also lesser teams like Aces and Mean Green (not sure if they still exist anymore), etc. I have heard of Sting and Solar... But, don't know much about them these days. so it can be decieving.

Edited by Travis

Just curious, how can we tell if soccer recruiting is going well? Is is just good that we are getting committs or what?  Seriously, I have no clue.

Try researching on the internet if you really want to evaluate the committments. It is true that club play is more important in recruiting than high school. Dvorak was DMN 2nd team all area as a junior. Juett was first team all district her soph and junior years (11 person team not the expanded versions some districts have) and also a member of the state champion team. Adams was a leading scorer for Tx A&M Commerce, and Waters started as a fish at TCU.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding Juett. Member of Sting and Solar Soccer Clubs (Kevin Smith directs Solar and Hedlund coaches in the club, they have had some time to evaluate her abilities), she is a very skillfull player, very fast and quick to the ball, high work rate, sees the field well and can play role of scorer or distributor, comfortable at forward, center/outside mid. Very creative player, great scorer in the air. For Creekview high school, a 4 year varsity player, three year starter, three year letterman, three year regional qualifier,5A State Champ 2004, All District 1st team 2004 and 2005, Team MVP 2005. Through mid season of her senior year, she has scored 39 career goals and on pace for a 20 goal senior year in 2006. Has 38 career assists. Has played in same club or on same High school team as six current UNT players. A great offensive piece to go along with the Huytera/Lundsford tandem!

It sounds like Hedlund has created a pipeline for himself by bringing in players he thinks will be good and grooms them on his club team to play in college for him.

I know this is at least a common thing in the high school leagues (within the same city, of course.) In Granbury, the year the boys won the first ever 4-A soccer championship, pretty much the entire team had played together for several years. The GHS head coach was at all their soccer games, and had ties with their club coach, where they discussed drills and talents. When the boys finally made it to high school, they'd all been prep'ed to play the way the head coach wanted them to play. The result: state championship.

I think it's a good way to go in soccer. Maybe a bit harder in some other sports, but I don't see anything wrong with identifying and developing talent from a young age.

It sounds like Hedlund has created a pipeline for himself by bringing in players he thinks will be good and grooms them on his club team to play in college for him.

Well ,sort of. Not that he grooms them, none have played directly for him nor Kevin, I think that the Solar style of player just fits his team style, and Kevin Smith's coaching direction for Solar club coaches is what ultimately grooms the player. John is the benefactor in that he can follow the player more closely, understand the player character and chemistry. I believe that recruit transfer Waters also played Solar. While the Solar club itself has not had a lot of team success in the last several years, there have been a good amount of college-quality players that John had and will have a chance to follow closely. There is a hotbed of talent in the Soccer Clubs of Texas, particularly North Texas area, not just Solar, and he will never have a shortage of quality prospects at UNT.

Edited by nortx9

shockey is a real good player from a highly ranked 2006 Plano West team, and Dallas Texans, and Petersen is a good keeper, playes with Juett on 88 Sting.

this just in, Juett was a Dallas Morning News runner up player of the week for this past week, 6 goals 1 asst, two games (2 hat tricks). Check the DMNwebsite, or Monday DMN

Nice info, thanks for sharing. As my daughter is playing Chamber soccer, I am interested in how things work. Hedlund is doing a great job. Does anyone know the minimum age that is required to participate in his camp. I have heard he does a really good one in the Summer...

Nice info, thanks for sharing.  As my daughter is playing Chamber soccer, I am interested in how things work.  Hedlund is doing a great job.  Does anyone know the minimum age that is required to participate in his camp.  I have heard he does a really good one in the Summer...

I think the player must be at least 10 at the start of camp. This summer will be my daughter's first NT camp, but I have friends with older kids who have previously attended and they had a great time.

Yeah I'm really not sure I agree with that. Most of the recruits have not played for him before.

I think someone mentioned that Adams played with Texas A & M...I thought she was a transfer from Denver?? All I know is I've seen her practicing with the girls at spring practices and she looks good. She's got some nice ball control and good speed. She's the only new recruit/transfer that has already transferred. For spring there are 17 girls (one injured and not practicing) and I believe we'll have 24 in the fall when the rest of the new players arrive. Last year we had 21 I believe and we've lost several due to graduation or quitting.

Yeah I'm really not sure I agree with that.  Most of the recruits have not played for him before.

I think someone mentioned that Adams played with Texas A & M...I thought she was a transfer from Denver??  All I know is I've seen her practicing with the girls at spring practices and she looks good.  She's got some nice ball control and good speed.  She's the only new recruit/transfer that has already transferred.  For spring there are 17 girls (one injured and not practicing) and I believe we'll have 24 in the fall when the rest of the new players arrive.  Last year we had 21 I believe and we've lost several due to graduation or quitting.

The Solar players have not played for him. John coaches boys in Solar. Many of the girls have played in the same club at various times, Kevin Smith is however the director of coaching for the entire Solar club, and is a good evaluator of talent. I think Adams is a A & M Commerce transfer, not A & M.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...