Jevan Snead

SilverEagle

I was reading a story in the ST about who might be taking VY's place this fall for Texas. Colt McCoy (a RS freshman) was mention, as was Jevan Snead from Stephenville. The article mentioned that as soon as VY's decision was known to the coaches, Greg Davis called Snead to basically say that the competition was going to be open during spring.

I know that Snead is enrolling at Texas and will be a student this spring. It's already assumed that he will be working out with the team as soon as they meet and start off season work-outs. So here is my question.

The national signing date is 02-01-06. Do all the rules about contacting potential recruits etc not apply with Snead? If he starts working out with some of the team members before 02-01-06 has he (and UT) somehow violated a NCAA rule about recruits?

Just curious.

Edited by SilverEagle

Even though he cannot sign a letter of intent until February, he has effectivally signed an agreement to accept financial aide from the university. This agreement to accept financial aide makes him a Longhorn. Talking to him after that would probably be considered recruitign a player from another school.

The article mentioned that as soon as VY's decision was known to the coaches, Greg Davis called Snead to basically say that the competition was going to be open during spring.

I know that Snead is enrolling at Texas and will be a student this spring. The national signing date is 02-01-06. Do all the rules about contacting potential recruits etc not apply with Snead?

Here's what I was able to find at ncca.org, paraphrasing:

"Institutional staff members may not telephone a prospect or a prospect's relatives...[before July 1 after the end of the prospect's Junior year, except for one phone call during March.] After July 1, institutional staff members may telephone once per week..."

If he starts working out with some of the team members before 02-01-06 has he (and UT) somehow violated a NCAA rule about recruits?

Not sure on this one.

Here's what I was able to find at ncca.org, paraphrasing:

"Institutional staff members may not telephone a prospect or a prospect's relatives...[before July 1 after the end of the prospect's Junior year, except for one phone call  during March.]  After July 1, institutional staff members may telephone once per week..."

Not sure on this one.

Since he is already a high school graduate, he is just like a eligible JC player.

\

According to the paper this AM Snead can enroll and participate in workouts , but cannot sign a scholarship offer until Feb. 1st.

I hope everyone had a great New Years' and it's good to be posting back on the Mean Green Board.

As was sad to see that we had lost Jevan Snead. He was committed to my beloved Gators. I saw him in the Army All America bowl game and he looked like the real deal. In fact, I think some of the receivers were having trouble catching his passes, because he had such a strong arm. (not Jevan's fault at all). Even though we got a very good qb recruit, I'll still be very interested to see if he can be VY's replacement at UT.

Andy

Good luck to the Mean Green. I will be pulling for them.