UNT Band

eulesseagle

no the cheerleaders do not get scholarships. what you also may not notice is that the dancers rotate every game. those are not the same dancers out there that you see at the previous game. don't get me wrong, i think that the dancers do a bad ass job but when you have a squad that large, it is a lot easier to break up who goes to what game compared to having a squad the size of our cheerleaders and trying to break up the games. as far as other schools go...at a lot of other colleges have seperate squads for football than they do for basketball. i just don't think that you understand what it takes to "create" atmosphere at a basketball game when you don't have any fans in the stand and especially no students in the stand. there has been so many ideas thrown around for baskeball but it's a struggle to come up with something that really works when you don't have the student fans there. last year, the pit crew tried to do tailgating before one of the home basketball games but you can't have alcohol because of university rules. they had a stage and the whole 9 yards and the turn out for the event was not good at all. bottom line for me....the athletic department does care about basketball. it makes me mad when someone comes on here and says that they don't care. compared to other D1 schools, we have a small athletic department and they work there butt off. i mean heck they don't even hardly have student workers over there. i challenge you e-bone....since you are concerned about there level of commitment to the basketball program, call Paul or Jamie and VOLUNTEER your time to try and help the athletic department with basketball. they woud love the help. i'm fine with the criticism but don't say they don't care

Yes, I know that dancers rotate games. But you may have noticed that you will see a lot of the same ones every game. They get games off, but they are there more often than not. The cheerleaders rotate too but they send very few to games so they don't have to go as often. Do you have numbers that support your claim that there are many more dancers than cheerleaders? At least to the point that the dancers can have so many at games while the cheerleaders can have so few? Because there sure seem to be a lot of cheerleaders at football games.

Of course students don't go to games, they DON'T GET PROMOTED! And when they do go, there is no atmosphere to keep them coming back. As it is the only people that go to games are basketball fans and those who have no other way to support the teams and athletics. We just can't sit back and say, "I sure hope lots of students come out to games so we can have a good college basketball atmosphere."

Yeah, there have been many ideas thrown out, but I have yet to see anything significant come from them. And yes, a group of students did more basketball promoting and more for game day experience than the AD for the TCU game last season. I don't see how that supports your claim that the AD really cares for basketball. Instead it shows what can be done when people who really care try to get things done. Those guys did the job the people you are defending better than they ever have, but it was a huge undertaking for them because they were full time students and also had jobs their own. It shouldn't be up to students to promote and enhance games when we have full time paid staff in the AD to do just those things, and it's their job.

Not too long ago there was abysmal attendance at football games, no game day atmosphere, and no reason to think things would change. The AD started doing things to promote games and enhance the game day experience. Now look at football. A 2-9 season and we still averaged over 15,000 in attendance. All I want to know is why people in the AD can't get things going for basketball like they did for football. And I am tired of hearing excuses. If they can put forth the effort for football then they can do it for basketball.

Yes, I know that dancers rotate games. But you may have noticed that you will see a lot of the same ones every game. They get games off, but they are there more often than not. The cheerleaders rotate too but they send very few to games so they don't have to go as often. Do you have numbers that support your claim that there are many more dancers than cheerleaders? At least to the point that the dancers can have so many at games while the cheerleaders can have so few? Because there sure seem to be a lot of cheerleaders at football games.

Of course students don't go to games, they DON'T GET PROMOTED! And when they do go, there is no atmosphere to keep them coming back. As it is the only people that go to games are basketball fans and those who have no other way to support the teams and athletics. We just can't sit back and say, "I sure hope lots of students come out to games so we can have a good college basketball atmosphere."

Yeah, there have been many ideas thrown out, but I have yet to see anything significant come from them. And yes, a group of students did more basketball promoting and more for game day experience than the AD for the TCU game last season. I don't see how that supports your claim that the AD really cares for basketball. Instead it shows what can be done when people who really care try to get things done. Those guys did the job the people you are defending better than they ever have, but it was a huge undertaking for them because they were full time students and also had jobs their own. It shouldn't be up to students to promote and enhance games when we have full time paid staff in the AD to do just those things, and it's their job.

Not too long ago there was abysmal attendance at football games, no game day atmosphere, and no reason to think things would change. The AD started doing things to promote games and enhance the game day experience. Now look at football. A 2-9 season and we still averaged over 15,000 in attendance. All I want to know is why people in the AD can't get things going for basketball like they did for football. And I am tired of hearing excuses. If they can put forth the effort for football then they can do it for basketball.

Well, as someone mentioned on another thread, the basketball schedule makes it a bit tougher for promotions. Everyone knows that we'll have football games only on Saturdays, and occasionally we'll have a Tuesday night game. We've only got one game per week, so our promotions staff can spend an entire week promoting one game. In basketball, you sometimes have up to 4 games in one week (2 for men, 2 for women) and although they're usually Tuesday and Saturday nights, they're sometimes on off days. While that doesn't exonerate the promotions staff from a lack of promoting, it does lend credit to promotions being difficult.

I would agree that less has been done in recent years to promote basketball. When I was president of Clark Hall in 2002, RHA supported residence hall nights at the basketball games. The hall with the most students won a pizza party or some other prize. Clark and Maple both had at least 20 residents apiece at the games. We hung a huge banner just inside the door that said "Game Tonight" and met up before the games to paint and round up as many residents as possible. I don't really see that with the residence halls anymore. I wouldn't place all the blame on their shoulders, but I would also say that maybe the AD isn't coordinating with RHA like they used to. It's harder to get students to attend weekday games simply because there are night classes and lots of homework to be done. I don't think anything can really be done to change that, so I think your best bet is to find ways to make the games so inviting that any student not in class can't think of a reason to not attend.

Well, as someone mentioned on another thread, the basketball schedule makes it a bit tougher for promotions. Everyone knows that we'll have football games only on Saturdays, and occasionally we'll have a Tuesday night game. We've only got one game per week, so our promotions staff can spend an entire week promoting one game. In basketball, you sometimes have up to 4 games in one week (2 for men, 2 for women) and although they're usually Tuesday and Saturday nights, they're sometimes on off days. While that doesn't exonerate the promotions staff from a lack of promoting, it does lend credit to promotions being difficult.

While agree it is more difficult, I do not think it is an excuse for it to not be done. Other schools seem to manage, I think we should be able to as well. In fact, we have as many students (or more) as most other schools in our region.

It's harder to get students to attend weekday games simply because there are night classes and lots of homework to be done. I don't think anything can really be done to change that, so I think your best bet is to find ways to make the games so inviting that any student not in class can't think of a reason to not attend.

Students can always make it to a 2 hour game if they want to. Yes I realize there are circumstances, and exams (and possibly a night class) that may prevent them on occasion, but for the most part, its just a decision which is of greater interest. Any other alternatives or a Bball game. Right now, BBall isnt as attractive.

I think if we can work to make an exciting atmosphere like we have football games (and there is still work to be done there), then it will grow gradually in support much in the same way. It starts with organziations (greek, RHA, SGA, etc) continuing to be proacitve and then it extends to the general student body. It also starts with winning. The football program created a buzz by winning games (and tailgating). I think if the teams continue to be successful, it will be easier to get folks to the games. I know it would have been easier to get myself there when I was in school.

Eagle1855, I'm not disagreeing with you that there really is no excuse. I was simply pointing out a few of the additional challenges the promotions staff faces in promoting basketball versus football.

You're absolutely right that students can make the choice to attend the games. And I think the best way to get students to the games is to make the atmosphere inviting. I think contests (such as the RHA ones) and interesting halftime events are a great way to get students involved. However, Tuesday nights really are difficult nights for students.

The week is really just getting started, so you usually have lots of homework. In addition, I know Tuesday nights are pretty popular nights for classes, since students would prefer to have Thursdays off for bar hopping. Obviously that's not the entire student body in class on Tuesday nights, so ultimately you just have to get students to the game. Unfortunately, no one has been able to find a good promotion for basketball yet. If we keep thinking though, maybe one of us will strike gold.

Wow, this topic got off track. My response to the first part of the thread. I love what the Pep Band does, however, there are a few things that could be done differently.

1. Play the fight song a lot less. Say before the game, at the end of the half, before the first half, and at the end of the game. 4 times, thats it. Our fight song is played almost as many times as SMUt's fight song.

2. There are only so many times one can hear "Fly Like an Eagle", and the rest of their playlist. PLEASE add some new songs to it and don't play so much repetition.

3. Have a uniform. say the same t-shirt, or matching polo shirts, and jeans.

4. Come up with some uniform chants, kind of like the Cajun pep band.

I think that they are doing a great job with their enthusiasm, and I think if they make these changes, they will add far more to the game experience.

Now to the cheerleaders, I know there are one or two on this board, so they can go ahead and fire up those pm's. I think its pretty much known by most of us that they have a reputation for not caring about the games. I know there are some that do care about the games. But if you watch their actions and attitudes at the games, to me it seems like we are back to the "I don't care" attitude. Watch when they throw out the t-shirts, they will only go out as far as the 3 point line, and without looking to see who is standing up yelling, they simply toss them into the stands, then walk back. They also don't seem to pick the right cheers. Last Thursday, there was a very small crowd at the Pit. They decide to do the "North, Texas" chant. IMO, they need to show enthusiasm and act like they care. But please don't show as much enthusiasm as the UNO cheerleader that was at the SBC Tourney last year. If there arent enough that want to go to they game, then why dont we enlarge the squad so we can rotate the cheerleaders and get the ones who really want to be there?

man i had this long response thought out but it would be just wasting my time and considering I don't read long post on this board, i wouldn't expect anyone to read mine. this board is so frustrating because 99% of the people think that they know what they are talking about 100% of the time when the truth is they have no clue what goes on but hey it's an internet message board so who cares right? Go Mean Green....

Eagle- this probally comes as a shock to you but i am just not going to argue on this one! don't have a heart attack!

Eagle- this probally comes as a shock to you but i am just not going to argue on this one!  don't have a heart attack!

haha, well I must say I never thought Id see the day it was colder in hell than in Houston (though various parallels between their respective climates could most cetainly be made)! I suppose now I should be on the watch for flying monkeys and unicorns, as the improbable has suddenly become a possibility... biggrin.gif

Rudy--

I have been lol how I originally complimented the band at the game and how I thought they were doing a great job, not only playing but harrassing the opponents, and ya'll got off on the "bunny trail" really fast.

I really do not care if we have to pay the band to show up it is worth it!! I just would like to see some of the frats show up and do as much as what the band does or some of the other little less know organizations have done in the past. As I recall West Dorm or one of the dorms would show up in their groups to heckle and cheer. Where are these groups???

One year a group of Oriental students would show up and heckle.....what made this entertaining was that they would chant....."Go Eagle Number One" .... I do not remember if they ever pluralized Eagle....I always thought that was pretty funny to listen to because it was so loud where I was seated.

Student Organizations need to get more involved with the BB games this year!!

Rudy--

I have been lol how I originally complimented the band at the game and how I thought they were doing a great job, not only playing but harrassing the opponents, and ya'll got off on the "bunny trail" really fast.

I really do not care if we have to pay the band to show up it is worth it!!  I just would like to see some of the frats show up and do as much as what the band does or some of the other little less know organizations have done in the past.  As I recall West Dorm or one of the dorms would show up in their groups to heckle and cheer.  Where are these groups???

One year a group of Oriental students would show up and heckle.....what made this entertaining was that they would chant....."Go Eagle Number One" ....  I do not remember if they ever pluralized Eagle....I always thought that was pretty funny to listen to because it was so loud where I was seated.

Student Organizations need to get more involved with the BB games this year!!

Not quite sure how I got singled out, but I agree with everything you say. And I agree about the organizations showing up to support. My post was something that NTEagle08, myself, and 2 other posters had talked about. The cheerleader thing, was a response to what had started coming up.

I think it is so awesome that you guys actually care about what the cheerleaders do. Myself being a former cheerleader that really does mean a lot to the cheerleaders. However, the administration does not share in your zeal for having an organized squad. As long as cheerleaders are there, the administration could care less. As far as the cheerleaders being not into the games, that fact can most likely be attributed to the new coach. He has been the reason for most of the squad's exit over the semester and even my exit. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to post or send me a PM.

I think it is so awesome that you guys actually care about what the cheerleaders do.  Myself being a former cheerleader that really does mean a lot to the cheerleaders.  However, the administration does not share in your zeal for having an organized squad.  As long as cheerleaders are there, the administration could care less.  As far as the cheerleaders being not into the games, that fact can most likely be attributed to the new coach.  He has been the reason for most of the squad's exit over the semester and even my exit.  If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to post or send me a PM.

Thanks for sharing a perspective on the issue that most of us would not ordinarily be privy to. I do have some questions though.

According to UNTSIG the athletic department has basically no say in what goes on with the cheerleaders and that it is all up to the coach to get them to go to games. Is that the case, or does the AD just not care enough to make sure the cheerleaders are adequately represented at games? If it is not the AD, then who are the cheerleaders answerable too ultimately?

Also, what is the status on the cheerleaders getting some kind of scholarship? I heard during in the summer from a cheerleader that it was being worked on, but haven't heard anything since. I think it would be good to get cheerleaders, as well as dancers, some kind of scholarship as a reward for their hard work. But that would also hopefully serve as a way to get more cheerleaders to basketball games as they would be compensated for being there.

I was thinking the same thing - beer garden outside the Super Pit. For the non-drinkers how about a hot cocoa or coffee station - get creative. Get them near the Super Pit, highlight the freebies that will be given away inside and they just might walk in and get counted in attendance.

I go to the Hawaii bball games at the Stan Sheriff, which is on the campus of UH and they sell beer. They sell beer, they sell nachos, they sell gourmet coffees, its a lot like going to a Mavs game. The F&B prices are high so nobody gets trashed, but it sure is a nice way to get the Community to take interest in the team.

If we ain't going to sell it inside the building, at least offer it on the outside.

GMG