Big XII game

EagleD

I don't know what I did in a former life to deserve this, but I got hooked up nicely for the Big XII championship game. I occasionally root for Texas. My wife and all of my family are Texas grads. As we walk into the luxury suite to eat and drink freely, and hob nob with notable politicians, I notice a kid (about 15) wearing a faded lime green North Texas shirt, and hat. Of the 4 in my party, 3 of us were NT grads. We looked at each other and gave the talon sign sign and yelled, "Go Mean Green". My wife says she can't take me anywhere w/o finding some Mean Green fan. We're out there, sometimes you just have to look.

Go Mean Green!!!!!!!!

I also saw a guy with his mean green on which made me proud. Even more amusing was the aggy who decided to wear his maroon "saw em off" shirt to the game...brave!

Seriously though, I have never seen so much orange in one place... it was hardly a neutral site...almost creepy...

Edited by Eagle1855

I also thought it was a bit unfair to have the game in Houston. If I were the Big XII North, I'd be furious. Even Roger Clemens commented when they interviewed him at the game, how Houston is so close to Austin it's almost like a home game.

Houston was a Texas homegame, really. Even if the CU fans did actually back their team, getting that many to travel almost the length of the country pretty much stacked the odds against CU.

Neutral site? How about somewhere in Oklahoma, Nebraska, or any other state that isn't Texas.

Well they dont plan the game around who is going to be there (or the year of), so Oklahoma or Nebraska would hardly be more neutral sites than Houston if either of those teams were in it. They plan these things years in advance.

Colorado is known as the worst traveling team in the Big 12.

Houston was a Texas homegame, really. Even if the CU fans did actually back their team, getting that many to travel almost the length of the country pretty much stacked the odds against CU.

Neutral site? How about somewhere in Oklahoma, Nebraska, or any other state that isn't Texas.

The sites of the Big XII Championship games are predetermined a couple years in advance. It just so happen that the year Houston hosted fell on the exact same year as Texas getting there.

Colorado has a pretty bad traveling fan base for a Big XII team, they played in the Big XII Championship a few years ago when it was in Houston, and they didn't travel a whole lot of people.

I read that both Colo and UT were given 8500 tickets, which CU returned 5100 (those were the smart ones).  UT has a good team this year, but I'm sick of all the fadded Orange everywhere.  tongue.gif

For $91 Million they ought to have a good team.....everyyear! What has amazed me more than anything is all the tU bootlickers. It's just too easy to root for a winning cash cow these days.

Rick

For $91 Million they ought to have a good team.....everyyear!  What has amazed me more than anything is all the tU bootlickers.  It's just too easy to root for a winning cash cow these days.

Rick

Why does that amaze you, Rick? There is Notre Dame and SC gear right beside the UT stuff at Kohl's. I've seen as much SC stuff right here at home as I have Texas--and yes, I've seen plenty of orange, too. Every high-profile team has it's share of Klingons. tongue.gif

Why does that amaze you, Rick?  There is Notre Dame and SC gear right beside the UT stuff at Kohl's.  I've seen as much SC stuff right here at home as I have Texas--and yes, I've seen plenty of orange, too.  Every high-profile team has it's share of Klingons.  tongue.gif

I'm not going to be as bitter as some on this board. I honeslty wish we had more of those Klingons and I don't mind if they are fans who only root for good teams.

OK, I have two degress from UNT but I also have one degree from UT. I support both programs -- yes UT may have more money but they also win games -- yes UNT is working to get to UT status but still has a little to go. I will continue to proudly wear both burnt orange and kelly green.

biggrin.gif

Why does that amaze you, Rick?  There is Notre Dame and SC gear right beside the UT stuff at Kohl's.  I've seen as much SC stuff right here at home as I have Texas--and yes, I've seen plenty of orange, too.  Every high-profile team has it's share of Klingons.  tongue.gif

user posted image

???

I loved watching the Hawaii Wahine get sent to Austin for the volleyball regional to face Texas State and Texas. It was a lovely sight to watch the Bows crush the bobcats and rally to beat the lady horns.

Next up Missouri at Penn State.

I know, woman's volleyball blah blah blah. However, those young women bring out 8,500 to the Stan Sheriff center on the campus of Hawaii and make for some of the best games on the islands. Next up the guys. I like their season even more because they don't conflict with football season.

Go Hawaii Wahine - all the way to San Antonio (Final Four)!

GMG

OK, I have two degress from UNT but I also have one degree from UT.  I support both programs -- yes UT may have more money but they also win games -- yes UNT is working to get to UT status but still has a little to go.  I will continue to proudly wear both burnt orange and kelly green.

biggrin.gif

I hope their crying a river of burnt orange tears down in Austin come middle January after losing to the SC underdogs.

Woo hoo, where are all the Trojan bootlickers these days? I might have to join them. "I'm an SC Trojan from way back since the day's of OJ Simpson and...., and whatever else that suck@ss Craig Miller could come up with".

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Incredible.............Can't we just copy and paste the UT bashing threads when they start and say we did that already? UT is playing for a National Title, win or lose, THEY are playing in the Rose Bowl. We won one out of four NO Bowl....worst bowl ever. We are not very good, period. And you know what....I really don't care all that much. Still had a great time at the games I went to this year visiting with friends and eating too much. My fondess for UNT has nothing to do with its football team.