Big XII game

EagleD

I hope their crying a river of burnt orange tears down in Austin come middle January after losing to the SC underdogs.

Rick

Would you feel the same if it was A&M vs USC?

I'm actually happy about Mack getting to the big game. He's taken a LOT of heat the last few years and much of it deserved (losing to OU over and over; fan fave Applewhite vs all everything Simms; etc). But through all that he kept on pushing the school, kept a good attitude, and RAISED MONEY! Mack Brown is responsible for much of the fundraising and building upgrades his school recieves, and through that hard work they are on the national stage. And I say the same for Pete Carrol and USC, Hell, I say it for Bob Stoops and I can't stand the man! You guys make it sound as though these coaches just walk in and are handed over infinite cash. That's crap! They work hard at that, and are under a lot of pressure. And those coaches who take it for granted suffer. To be a good coach you have to do the intangibles.

How does that relate to our situation? I don't honestly know, but DD has gotten verbal support from our most notable donor.

Fire away Rick. I'm right behind that boulder.

Would you feel the same if it was A&M vs USC?

Some on here would probably not. Its fashionable to bash some BCS schools but not others. Then you can disguise it as saying your hatred for them is because they are stealing our recruits with their success (as if Texas A&M and Texas even think about us in the off season) instead of just saying you grew up a fan of A&M. Meanwhile TCU is 10-1 and the same longhorn-bashers are rooting for them while they continue to out recruit us year in and year out, and seem to switch conferences more frequently than Paris Hilton makes internet vidoes. Makes sense, eh?

Worse than that is that most longhorn fans THRIVE off being hated, so in essence, threads like "who do you hate most" that turn into longhorn bash-fests on a NORTH TEXAS board do nothing except support their already delusional mindset that UT is the greatest thing on Gods green earth.

I also thought it was a bit unfair to have the game in Houston. If I were the Big XII North, I'd be furious. Even Roger Clemens commented when they interviewed him at the game, how Houston is so close to Austin it's almost like a home game.

Is it fair to have the national championship game between Southern California and Texas in the Rose Bowl...a mere 16.8 miles from USC's campus??

Some on here would probably not. Its fashionable to bash some BCS schools but not others. Then you can disguise it as saying your hatred for them is because they are stealing our recruits with their success (as if Texas A&M and Texas even think about us in the off season) instead of just saying you grew up a fan of A&M.  Meanwhile TCU is 10-1 and the same longhorn-bashers are rooting for them while they continue to out recruit us year in and year out, and seem to switch conferences more frequently than Paris Hilton makes internet vidoes. Makes sense, eh?

Worse than that is that most longhorn fans THRIVE off being hated, so in essence, threads like "who do you hate most" that turn into longhorn bash-fests on a NORTH TEXAS board do nothing except support their already delusional mindset that UT is the greatest thing on Gods green earth.

Well said. I do not understand why we hate the BCS schools at this point - maybe once we conquer the mid majors we can turn our attention there, but right now it just seems to be a huge waste of time and energy. We live in Texas, odds are you like or prefer one BCS school or the other. I bet Troy fans have the same dynamic with Alabama and Auburn. If you dislike one or the other, just go with it. At least Rick does that and doesn't make excuses for it.

No one should have to apologize for wishing failure on any school, but they also shouldn't lose focus that we are a fringe mid major and need to conquer that part of the football universe next. TCU, UTEP, SMU, and schools along those lines are part of our next rung up the ladder. Focus on them and treat the NC like you would the super bowl when your team isn't it.

Its still okay to pick a side and go with it, or just root for a good game. You are not betraying NT, just don't run out and buy $100 in Rose Bowl Commerative merchandise and wear it for a year.

And not all Longhorns fans are a-holes, as much as I have spent much of my life thinking that. Every school has its share of jerks and barnacles - find me one school without them and I will root for them forever on principle.

Is it fair to have the national championship game between Southern California and Texas in the Rose Bowl...a mere 16.8 miles from USC's campus??

I think so, I would expect to see just as many UT fans make that trip as USC fans really. They still have alottment of tickets and such, although I'm not sure what the numbers are. I would be willing to bet it was just as easy for a UT fan to get a ticket as much as the USC fans. Make no bones about it, when those 2 schools are in the National Championship there is no shortage of BIG time $$$ involved and those types tend to do whatever it takes to be there.

If you dislike one or the other, just go with it. At least Rick does that and doesn't make excuses for it.

No one should have to apologize for wishing failure on any school,

True. And just to clear up any confusion there may be out there(I doubt it though) on where I stand: I wish failure on every school simply because, they are not North Texas. It's that simple to me.

Rick