Why would anyone....

catman12

Who, in their right mind, would want to coach football and put up with all the bull$hit fans like there are on this board.

I would venture to say that if we were all held to the same standard in our profession coaches are, 50% of you bitching fans would be fired tomorrow morning. Imagine a world where our professional lives were so publicly scrutinized. How tough would it be to come home from work and listen to talk shows discussing how bad a job you are doing.

I don't know about any of you, but I wouldn't care for that too much. I RESPECT coaches for what they do and what they have to put up with.

IF THERE ARE ANY NT COACHES OR ANY OTHER COACHES THAT READ THIS BOARD, I APPRECIATE YOUR HARD WORK AND THINK YOU DO A FANTASTIC JOB AND YOU DON'T HEAR THAT NEAR ENOUGH!!!

Who, in their right mind, would want to coach football and put up with all the bull$hit fans like there are on this board. 

I would venture to say that if we were all held to the same standard in our profession coaches are, 50% of you bitching fans would be fired tomorrow morning.  Imagine a world where our professional lives were so publicly scrutinized.  How tough would it be to come home from work and listen to talk shows discussing how bad a job you are doing.

I don't know about any of you, but I wouldn't care for that too much.  I RESPECT coaches for what they do and what they have to put up with.

IF THERE ARE ANY NT COACHES OR ANY OTHER COACHES THAT READ THIS BOARD, I APPRECIATE YOUR HARD WORK AND THINK YOU DO A FANTASTIC JOB AND YOU DON'T HEAR THAT NEAR ENOUGH!!!

Before you hear criticism, pack up your bags and head home for another 4-5 days (like when we did the thread that never ends) - are you trying to get hired on the staff next year?

Luckily NT coaches do not really have to deal with media - no one cares. When's the last time you heard a segment anywhere on NT football. They have one message board - try living in a college city where every aspect of the team is taken apart piece by piece. Somehow all of these coaches get through it, thank the fans, and still do their jobs and take responsibility for the results.

Are you preparing goodie bags for Dennis Franchione and Bill Callahan in your spare time?

You and I do not have "high profile" jobs. Nothing in our contract is high profile. Many people do have high profile jobs that do get discussed - musicians, athletes, coaches, govt officials, politicians - they all get ripped on 24 hour networks devoted to cover them.

Funny, no one gets mad when things are going well - they bask in the glory of it all. If you are a coach and cannot handle the same 20 people posting the same stuff in different variations each day - I think you a) are too sensitive and cool.gif probably need to get the hell back to work so we don't lose to another bottom 10 school.

Edited by Michael Scott

I would venture to say that if we were all held to the same standard in our profession coaches are, 50% of you bitching fans would be fired tomorrow morning.  Imagine a world where our professional lives were so publicly scrutinized.  How tough would it be to come home from work and listen to talk shows discussing how bad a job you are doing.

I don't know about any of you, but I wouldn't care for that too much.  I RESPECT coaches for what they do and what they have to put up with.

I would take my paycheck, housing allowance, car allowance, cell phone allowance, bonuses and buyout package and lounge around the house smile.gif

GMG.com thread.

Seems the link above contradicts yourself, most notably this post of yours:

Didn't Florida Atlantic get beat 66-23 this past weekend or something...by Arkansas State???

In my mind that is FAR worse than either of our losses to Tulsa or Kansas State. Tulsa was disappointing, Kansas State was supposed to whip our ass, but if we lose to Arkansas State by 40+, then it's time to seriously question where Dickey has to program headed.

I don't know why you mention the Florida Atlantic coach in your post when they got their hides tanned by another Sun Belt team.

Interesting how you start a post regarding the coaching profession, get on us for being critical, yet you were just as critical a couple of months ago. huh.gif

Wow? I think we may have a message board original.. In one post, you have managed to insult everyone (fans and Alums) but sucked up to ALL of the coaches? I have fairly think skin, so it doesnt really matter that much, but those are really big bridges to burn. Some of those "Bull$..." fans you refer to are second generation mafia. Peole like Emmit Jackson and Rick McKinney may be the only people left alive who really know where Jimmy Haffa is buried? I'd be careful if I posted a statement like that? You might also remember that many people on this board (myself included) support Darrell Dickey, but the opinions of those who dont are also pretty valid. Either way, sucking up like that on a message board really doesnt get you anything. Now, I see you sucking up to Ramon Flannigan like that in person... Yeah, I'll buy you a beer. I'll be lauging, but I will absolutely pay for your drink.

GMG!!!

You are all right!!!

this is the most ACTIVE board for all colleges. Wow....all the comments that eminates from everyone....

UNT is nothing but a stepping stone to the bigger conferences, period.

Comes back to the old question, "who ya goin get for $220K/year??

For UNT to get another BIG name coach...this is what will have to happen:

1. We get EXTREEEEEEMLY lucky like we did with Coach Fry.

For UNT to move up in a better conference we will have to:

1. Keep putting more butts in the stands for ALL our athletic teams.

2. Keep winning in ALL sports.....FB is not the only game that conference committees look at in consideration for conference affiliations (some of you will disagree).

3. Upgrade facilities (like we are currently doing).....and get that NEW stadium built!!!!!

4. STOP posting that crap about firedd.com............geeezzzzzzz........dont you think that other conference officials read what we say?????

5. Since we dont know what politics are taking place behind the scenes we will just have to learn to be patient for the next big step....if and when it happens.....You can probably bet that RV and others are just as frustrated as we are and they are the ones on the front lines trying to get us in.

4.  STOP posting that crap about firedd.com............geeezzzzzzz........dont you think that other conference officials read what we say?????

5.  Since we dont know what politics are taking place behind the scenes we will just have to learn to be patient for the next big step....if and when it happens.....You can probably bet that RV and others are just as frustrated as we are and they are the ones on the front lines trying to get us in.

I heard Florida and Texas are in danger of losing their conference memberships for their fire the coach websites. Big XII and ACC officials said that was a huge deal to them and, inspite of the time used for overseeing dozens of intervarsity sports, they took the time to sit down with a warm mug of cocoa and read some fansite that looks like a high school student made it. When auditing potential conference members, CUSA is known to use facilities, attendance, on field success, academics, market, and fan message boards and posting as the key ratings dimensions.

You are right on supporting all sports - that is the key. To use TAMU as an example - they can fill the seats for non-revenue sports like WBB, volleyball, and soccer consistently - and are always top 2 for baseball as well. Even when they suck in football they support the other sports. Many of you may make one or two non-football sports a year. Their women's teams, until recently, played in a gym that smelled halfway like urine.

I think our officials are frustrated - and the trend seems to be they are working towards things, but also have their eye on the exit door - just in case. If your career was tied to this crap going on on and off the field right now you'd do the same ph34r.gif .

The point of my post is that coaches have to deal with a lot of BS that I would hate to deal with. Even in high school football, they always have to listen to fans/parents that seem to know a lot more about what's best for their football team than they do and that is ridiculous. Same with this board, many of you act as if you know better than Dickey what is best for NT football.

I'm not saying coaches are PERFECT and I'm not saying they should never be fired.

I do believe a 40+ point loss to Arkansas St. would be worse than any of our losses this season. If we start losing by 40 to Sun Belt teams, I'll want a new coach.

The point of my post is that coaches have to deal with a lot of BS that I would hate to deal with.  Even in high school football, they always have to listen to fans/parents that seem to know a lot more about what's best for their football team than they do and that is ridiculous.  Same with this board, many of you act as if you know better than Dickey what is best for NT football.

I'm not saying coaches are PERFECT and I'm not saying they should never be fired. 

I do believe a 40+ point loss to Arkansas St. would be worse than any of our losses this season.  If we start losing by 40 to Sun Belt teams, I'll want a new coach.

They do have a difficult job and for one would never choose that level of pressure - we agree on that. Everytime I see Dickey in the offseason it amazes me how different he is when he gets to sleep, see his family, etc. I cannot imagine the toll the job would take on you - especially when you are not doing a good job or the team is underperforming. My earlier posts on how hard a job working in athletics are apply to coaches - although they get 6-10 times what most of the staff gets and the chance to really shine and succeed. Its like all the other high pressure, public jobs out there - but no one held a gun to their head or did not warn them that it is a public job.

I guess we agree that the job is hard - I think the reaction to your statements came more from how they were expressed than anything else. To argue that coaches should be shielded from criticism or handled with kids glove just does not hold water to many on this board.

Guest JohnDenver

..catman, don't kid yourself. NO ONE is talking about Dickey and his coaching decisions on talk radio. He doesn't have to go home and hear about it. This website doesn't show up on his computer like a bad virus. If he (or any coach) ever reads this site, it is their own decision.

If he goes to KState, on the other hand, he WILL hear about this coaching decisions.

This is small pond football. You think we are bullshit fans? oy!

Couple things:

Florida is in the SEC.

Conference officials dont read these boards, and if they do, they are not considered valuable research tools for deciding whether or not to invite a school to said conference.

Lifer's post = game...set...match. End of thread, as it invalidates the rest of the original topic posters' argument by pointing out the contradiction and hypocrisy.

Denver has great point: this is tame compared to the flack he would be catching at a more "visible" program.

People on this board arent BS, however a case could be made for people posting comments that say they are... when someone has a differing opinion from yourself in life, do you always resort to, "well you are a BS salesman/doctor/teacher/yadda yadda"?

Oh, and can something really "halfway smell like urine"?

Lifer's post = game...set...match. End of thread, as it invalidates the rest of the original topic posters' argument by pointing out the contradiction and hypocrisy.

I thought I made in clear that I don't believe coaches should never be fired.

Therefore, my posts don't contradict themselves. I agree there are times to let coaches go. If you start losing Sun Belt games by 40, I will probably think Dickey needs to go.

but if we lose to Arkansas State by 40+, then it's time to seriously question where Dickey has to program headed.

My original post here was simply to say that they receive some criticism unfairly! I don't think anyone would argue that! GAME...SET...MATCH!

Catman: Unfair criticism? Basking in the glory when things are good?

Oh no sir.

If you're running left/right/left when your RBs (as great as they are) are getting nowhere, you should get a talking to. When you're calling a run play on 2nd or 3rd and long, you should get a talking to. When you get plastered in OOC in every game, you should get a talking to. When you continually make excuses rather than just take the responsibility of a loss, you should get a talking to.

Here's the thing- I back Dickey, but I really believe he can do so much better than he has. Consequently, I believe he can also push the players to be more competitive.

(*Yeah, I'd like to see Coach Fry back at NT, but I don't see it happening)

And yes, we like it when the team wins. BUT- we don't take it easy on the coaches because more often than not, wins are littered with stupid penalties and very questionable playcalling.

And don't take shots at these fans- A good number of the BS fans you complain about have been NT fans longer than I've been alive. There are fans who've loved this school and its athletics since the Flying Worm. Many fans have seen NT romp in DIA, fall into DIAA limbo, then climb out. They've seen NT football from empty stands and filled stands, so don't you dare call them BS fans.

The point of my post is that coaches have to deal with a lot of BS that I would hate to deal with.  Even in high school football, they always have to listen to fans/parents that seem to know a lot more about what's best for their football team than they do and that is ridiculous.  Same with this board, many of you act as if you know better than Dickey what is best for NT football.

I do believe a 40+ point loss to Arkansas St. would be worse than any of our losses this season.  If we start losing by 40 to Sun Belt teams, I'll want a new coach.

I hate these comparisons because each and every game is different, but FAU lost to ASU by 40+ and then beat us. Not a good scenario.

I agree coaches have to put up with more crap then what they should. I hate the argument of "well it just comes with the territory." Well even if it does that still doesnt make it right. To get criticized by somebody that probably doesnt have a clue makes it even worse. Also i hate the contradictions on this board. In this thread alone people are saying we are just small time football or we are just a small pond in the football world but these same people are griping about the OOC record being 7-42. Despite this year, what games are we really favored to win in OOC. I know it is not the CU, UT, OU, LSU, Alabama, or Arkansas games ? Arent those schools the big time, big pond college football teams ?