Vince Young is great..but after him, ugh!

Long live Vincent Young! Should he turn wrong on an ankle, or suffer another type injury, Texas becomes a better than average team! They beat the stuffing out of "Kansas" while Southern Cal soundly rolled over California (35-10). California would beat the hell out of Kansas and we both know it.

I'm looking forward to the National Championship game in The Rose Bowl. My youngest brother Mike is a professor at Southern Cal, and he told me before the OU game last January that the Trojans would beat OU by at least 3 TD's! They won 55-19 (Pete Carroll had the Sooners scouted and knew exactly what to do).

See you in Pasadena my friend . I too look forward to seeing the USC defense which was less than stellar against ND and took several first halves off earlier this year, and what it does against a UT team that can strike quickly from anywhere on the field. In spite of UCLA's dismal showing against AZ I have a feeling that they will rise to the occasion to give SC all it wants in a finale and since the PAC Ten lacks the guts to schedule a conference title game SC can then read its press for a month beforehand.

You have made your jealousy of the UT program obvious many, many times on this board always trying desparately to find someone to beat them. Personally I was born, raised, and will die a Texan. I am proud of Texas teams who are successful, TCU included. My alma mater is in an extremely tough time, but I will never resort to tearing down the successful programs of my home state just because UNT lacks the committment to do better. You bet I'm proud of UT. I aspire to have a team that could even be half as good. Hell all that any on this board ask is JUST TO BE COMPETITIVE__NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

If your jelousy so inhibits you from supporting the successful programs of the state in which you live maybe you should consider Ohio or California as a new residence.

Texas is a force. Vince Young is unbelievable. I have watched him in person many times down here and he is amazing. Texas has West Coast and East Coast media bias going against it AS WELL as people IN STATE that continually bash them. You can have Matt Leinart and send him to all the hot commodity parties in LA all you want....I'll take Vince to run my college team any day over him. I grant you that Vince takes them to the next level....but if you think he's the only talented player on this team, then you know almost nothing about college football. Texas will win it all.

GGII,

I try to stay away from your posts (just a bit schizophrenic for my taste). Since it's part of my job to keep track of Texas football, I want to respond.

I think the key for Texas is that Vince gets GREAT protection. Their offensive line does a wonderful job.

WR Limus Sweed is a very good reciever, RB Ramonce Taylor is a star in the making, and the entire defense is simply put, a force. USC may be a better team, but Texas is so much more than just Vince Young.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

i wasn't thinking about posting because nothing gets me going more than people saying that Texas has a chance.

i live in Texas and proud of this state, however i hate the longhorns... mainly because how overrated there are. Vince Young plays against the Big XII, that isn't saying much. (Oh wait he beat OSU you say? where he threw two picks and barely came away with a win). maybe, I will count that as a good win. but what other teams as he play where they haven't been the double digit favorite and remember they were were the 34 pt favorite to OSU (the worst team in the big XII) and didn't beat the spread.

i think someone posted early the average ranking of USC and Texas and found USC plays a much harder schedule.

as much as Texas is a cool state, UT is not that great and will get worked over... WORKED OVER!!! in the rose bowl (just like the last big XII team USC saw in the big game)

Based on what I have seen, I wouldn't be surprised if Texas somehow came away with a win, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they got blown out. I had a dream a few nights ago that provided me with a score. The hot sports opinion from my subconscious is USC over tu 43-17. We'll see.

We go thru this every year. The Pac 10 is weak, wait till they play a real team. USC could never beat the Big 10 Champion. Oh wait tell that to Michigan. Well, they could never beat the Big XII Champion. Wasn't OU called one of the best college teams ever? The Men of Troy blew their doors off.

I do think Texas is terrific this year. Vince Young has been spectacular. But if I were them, I'd be more worried about the Horns losing and facing LSU in the title game.

Edited by CMJ

See you in Pasadena my friend . I too look forward to seeing the USC defense which was less than stellar against ND and took several first halves off earlier this year, and what it does against a UT team that can strike quickly from anywhere on the field. In spite of UCLA's dismal showing against AZ I have a feeling that they will rise to the occasion to give SC all it wants in a finale and since the PAC Ten lacks the guts to schedule a conference title game SC can then read its press for a month beforehand.

You have made your jealousy of the UT program obvious many, many times on this board always trying desparately to find someone to beat them. Personally I was born, raised, and will die a Texan. I am proud of Texas teams who are successful, TCU included. My alma mater is in an extremely tough time, but I will never resort to tearing down the successful programs of my home state just because UNT lacks the committment to do better. You bet I'm proud of UT. I aspire to have a team that could even be half as good. Hell all that any on this board ask is JUST TO BE COMPETITIVE__NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

If your jelousy so inhibits you from supporting the successful programs of the state in which you live maybe you should consider Ohio or California as a new residence.

Jim, I am very proud of the overwhelming success of the UT program. Sorry you did not get your degree from there. I love the Longhorn Band and Texas beat a very good Ohio State team in Columbus. I plan to stay in Texas, thanks, so don't get so uptight with my comments. I hope Texas has better luck than Oklahoma did with USC. By the way, if USC wins their final two, both at home vs Fresno and UCLA, they'll be 12-0

-Rick

i don't think i proved your point Bflan?

i can't understand how people can say the Pac-10 is weak?! how many teams are ranked in the Pac-10 vs Big XII.... anyone anyone??

Pac-10: 3 (USC, UCLA, Oregon)

Big XII: 2 (Texas, Tech)

The Pac-10 at one point had 4 and Big XII's season high is three. However, CU should have never been ranked (no Big XII north is worth anything) and when a team loses to the worst team in their conference, they shouldn't be ranked either (Tech).

The Pac-10 is in no way weak as a conference.... here is some stats (current as of 11/13)

CONFERENCE --------- # in 25 --------- Avg in 25

-------------------------------------------------------------

PAC 10 ---------------- 3 ---------------- 7.66

BIG 12 ----------------- 2 ---------------- 11.5

ACC -------------------- 4 ---------------- 13.75

SEC -------------------- 6 ---------------- 12.66

BIG 10 ---------------- 4 ---------------- 14.00

IND ------------------- 1 ---------------- 6.00

MWC ------------------ 1 ---------------- 15.00

WAC ------------------ 1 ---------------- 16.00

USA ------------------ 1 ---------------- 24

BIG EAST ------------ 2 --------------- 15.5

Now, taking in considerations that the average is skewed because were are only looking at part of the conference (with exception to SEC which has half its conference represented). But understanding that this is partly skewed, you can surely see that PAC 10 is 3rd on the list with number of teams ranked and 2nd on the list with highest average ranking (1st if you exclude the 1 representative from the independents).

Now, I don't have on record the records of all the PAC teams vs other conferences but I do know that UCLA beat OU, USC beat OU (last year of course), USC beat Notre Dame (ranked number 6, higher than Texas's highest defeated opponent OSU at #9), and USC beat, nay killed Arkansas (70-17).

(given, lower ranked Pac - 10 teams did lose to other conferences, ie Washington lost to Notre Dame, Arizona lost to Purdue)

Now, who has Texas beat?! You can't say OSU because that is cancelled with USC beating Notre Dame, both close games barely won. Take away the OSU win, USC still has beat other ranked teams.

Pac-10 is a solid conference and USC will win the National Championship. USC will become the first team to win back to back to back years, and USC will have back to back Heisman winners. No ands, ifs, or buts. USC is #1 and will prove it, sadly, against Texas.

next!

Edited by andrewrozell

Its amazing how much energy people on this board spend hating another

texas team... one that we dont even compete for recruits with as they are on a whole different level. The team we actually do compete with for recruits is just down the street and is 9-1 in a their new conference... I would think that would garner more attention than the longhorns... but whatever. Nobody knows what will happen in the NC game, but we will find out and I for one look forward to it... and you will never see me rooting for a professional team in SoCal over any Texas team

The Pac-10 is in no way weak as a conference.... here is some stats (current as of 11/13)

CONFERENCE --------- # in 25 --------- Avg in 25

-------------------------------------------------------------

PAC 10 ---------------- 3 ---------------- 7.66

BIG 12 ----------------- 2 ---------------- 11.5

ACC -------------------- 4 ---------------- 13.75

SEC -------------------- 6 ---------------- 12.66

BIG 10 ---------------- 4 ---------------- 14.00

IND ------------------- 1 ---------------- 6.00

MWC ------------------ 1 ---------------- 15.00

WAC ------------------ 1 ---------------- 16.00

USA ------------------ 1 ---------------- 24

BIG EAST ------------ 2 --------------- 15.5

its pretty easy to stay in the top 10 when you only have 1 team that is any good on your scedule. the pac-10 is ranked so well B/C they play a Pac-10 schedule.

Pac-10 is a solid conference and USC will win the National Championship. USC will become the first team to win back to back to back years, and USC will have back to back Heisman winners. No ands, ifs, or buts. USC is #1 and will prove it, sadly, against Texas.

next!

if the game were today vegas odds would have texas an 8 point favorite. we will see at game time, but any one who watches football knows that Texas is playing the best football in the country by a mile right now. and Vince has the Heisman sewn up.

its pretty easy to stay in the top 10 when you only have 1 team that is any good on your scedule.

if the game were today vegas odds would have texas an 8 point favorite. we will see at game time, but any one who watches football knows that Texas is playing the best football in the country by a mile right now. and Vince has the Heisman sewn up.

USC only plays one good team? UCLA, California, Fresno St? Even Arizona St and Oregon St have looked pretty good this year. What is the one team that is good?

The game would be "PICK" in Vegas because its the National Championship game, it will open close to PICK and then betters will move the line, most likely in SC's direction.

Wasn't OU playing the best football by a mile last year??!?! What was the score again??

If Vince somehow wins Heisman, I will scoff at the credibility of the trophy.

Oh jeez, Im sure they will be crushed to hear that in New York. biggrin.gif

If you look at the teams objectively, you might see there are three shoo-ins for the trophy, and at least 5 worthy of the trophy. But unfortunately (for the USC bandwagoners), if VY plays the way he has the last few games against A&M, it will be his to lose.

I also dont understand where all the "overrated" hype comes from... did anyone see what they did last week to the #1 rush defense? 52-0 at the half? 336 rushing yards. You are right, this team is trash.

"there is no way UT beats _____" is quickly becoming one the funniest comments on the board about the longhorns. Just insert Ohio State, Michigan, USC...etc and you can join the club! I think the argument could be made for both teams. Both have had shaky games, both have won great games.

But maybe I should go buy a crystal ball so I can see what you guys see, as USC and Texas have yet to play---or even get into the title game!

USC only plays one good team? UCLA, California, Fresno St? Even Arizona St and Oregon St have looked pretty good this year. What is the one team that is good?

The game would be "PICK" in Vegas because its the National Championship game, it will open close to PICK and then betters will move the line, most likely in SC's direction.

Wasn't OU playing the best football by a mile last year??!?! What was the score again??

Scoff all you want, I scoffed the year Jason White won the heisman. When was the last time the heisman went to anyone that was amazing in the NFL? A case can be made for Ricky Williams, but who beyond that?

In my opinion the heisman goes to the best player that means the most to his team. On a team like USC and 3 players from there that deserve heisman hype, I think Vince Young means more to UT than one of those 3 from USC. UT would be very good without Vince Young, but not as good. He is an amazing leader. Watch him get on his team and fire them up when they need it.

Would they be where they are without him? Maybe, leaders tend to rise to power when there is a lack of leadership. Which brings me to my next question. Who is the leader on UNT this year? blink.gif

yes those teams are a bunch of spares. and fresno state has yet to play and beat USC. actually I really hope that USC wins out B/C I would hate for texas to have to play Miami or LSU. USC is a much more winnable game than either of those. they just dont play the same level of football in the north west.