Our Trip to Death Valley

FirefightnRick

It was a very quick trip down and back for us.

I was up 26 straight hours.

Like our two previous trips down, we walked nearly a mile through 1,000's of Tiger Tailgaters to get to the Mean Green tents. After nearly every one of the LSU faithfull finished yelling "Tiger Bait!" at us, they would then ask "Have you eaten yet? Need something to drink?". Everyone in Baton Rouge was very gracious to us. I met several FF's from the region as well. All in all the fans down there were great, and I'll certainly go back again.

THE GAME:

Our seats were 48 yard line, 3rd row right behind the team.

Considering we played one of the elite teams this season, a team that has Texas, USC, Florida State type speed on both sides of the ball, and the fact that we came right out after giving up a TD and forced them to punt on their second series, I was very excited about what I saw.

Our defense was extemely undersized, yet they were able to make some plays that showed signs that they could be very good down the road. After each series our DL and LB's were coming off the field with their heads up. After forcing punts you could tell by their faces that they were having some fun out there and making plays.

Incredible hit by Baz. The guy is not only first class but has an incredible leg. Very proud of him.

Other than Baz, our offense was the highlight of the night and it starts with the O line. Definately the best game of the year so far for the guys upfront. The Emerald Express got it going early on, finding holes and made some yardage. On one run it looked like he was going to break it after getting around the right side. He excelerated up the sideline but ran out of room. The very sight of seeing NT able to turn the corner on this team was uplifting. LSU has track speed on the corners and their LB's and DE's are as good as it is going to get and we moved the ball on them most of the night. Then Jamario picked up where EE left off. He too had a few runs where it looked as if he was going to take it to the house. Several of the LSU fans sitting in our section kept saying how impressive he looked. And other than a few times when DM had to scramble and throw the ball away due to backside pursuit, our O line gave him time to pass, which I NEVER expected. No sacks?

DM threaded the needle on several plays. On a sure TD pass to Quinn, the ball was absolutely perfect to JQ, who got behind their secondary, but the DB closed quickly and just tipped it away making a fantastic defensive play on the ball. On the interception, DM threw a dart that hit Nwigwe between the 3 and the 1 and it bounced off and into the waiting arms of the DB. Overall, DM had a very good game compared to how the season has gone for him. Each time the O came off the field, you could tell they too were excited about what they were being able to do.

Folks, for three quarters we looked like we belonged on the field with this team. Who ever thought we could say that a week ago? For those of us who were dissapointed in the season thus far that statement might not have meant much a week ago. But like myself, many of you were at the tU game in 2002 and remember standing outside the lockerroom after that game and can recall the expressions on our guys faces, or on the faces of our coaches and fans, and remember the positives that came from that game. This game was very similar. Our offense had looked so dead in previous weeks, but came out last night and had over 200 yards in 3 quarters against as good and as fast a defense as your ever going to see. We were one or two plays away from going in at half time only down 21-10. Remember, LSU held Tennessee's 335lb offensive line and running game to less than 3 yards a carry earlier this season. We were averaging 5.5 in the first half, and finished with 3.5 for the game. So there are a lot of positives to take away from this game.

We will not come even close to facing a defense with that type of size and incredible speed the rest of the way through this season.

Other notes:

I saw Charlie Brown again get into the game and he made a good block on his man. For a true freshman playing the TE position he looked like he belonged on the field with the big boys.

Scott Hall came in from New Orleans to attend. It's alway's great to see our lettermen come back when they can.

Very good tailgate event put on by the Mean Green Club. The catered food was great.

I was excited to see and speak with......Chancelor Jackson at the tailgate party. He seemed to be having a good experience yesterday. I can't remember his exact words, but in speaking to him and hearing what he had to say I gathered that he came down to Baton Rouge to take part in one of the largest university/city-wide tailgating events in the nation to see how it's done and to realize all the positives it brings to the school when it's done right. Hopefully, I'm reading it correctly that the NT leadership has, and is NOW more than ever, learning how very critically important it is that the university take advantage of such opportunities that tailgating, pre/post athletic events and game day experiences are in cultivating support from alumni and region wide friends of the university.

FFR is very excited and very happy about the future of the Mean Green!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Let's not get carried away. While I do think that NT did some nice things last night, LSU ran through the defense with much ease.

I'm not getting carried away. LSU was suppose to dominate this game, and dominate to me in this scenario means as Texas dominated us last year. That was not the case last night the first three quarters, especially not in the first half. I was there, I saw the progression of the game and compared it to how poor we have played in the past weeks and the outcome was far improved beyond any expectations for three quarters. After we stalled on the goal line that last time, it was obvious LSU decided to make a statement and put us away with that 99 yard drive because they didn't want to give NT any semblence of a chance of a come back. Prior to that in the 3rd, their offensive play calling seemed conservative. By the fourth, their overall size and depth took it's toll, as expected.

Rick

I'm not getting carried away.  LSU was suppose to dominate this game, and dominate to me in this scenario means as Texas dominated us last year.  That was not the case last night the first three quarters, especially not in the first half.  I was there, I saw the progression of the game and compared it to how poor we have played in the past weeks and the outcome was far improved beyond any expectations for three quarters.  After we stalled on the goal line that last time, it was obvious LSU decided to make a statement and put us away with that 99 yard drive because they didn't want to give NT any semblence of a chance of a come back.  Prior to that in the 3rd, their offensive play calling seemed conservative.  By the fourth, their overall size and depth took it's toll, as expected. 

Rick

FFR, just listening to the game on the Mean Green Radio Network was encouraging to me. I really liked Flanagan (or DD) putting in the West Coast quick offensive passing plays AND bringing the tight end back into our game plan. I hope this will continue for the next 10 years! LOL!

Also, it sound like for the first time all season, Super Jamario Thomas' hammy' is not nagging him and he is picking up steam from where he left off last year. Can anyone imagine if we'd had last year's running game in some of our OOC games how that could be the difference between a W or a L?

Last 3 games at Fouts will be quite interesting to say the least.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Awesome post, FFR!

I'm interested in your take on what was improved Saturday--namely, as you saw it, did the MG seem to have improved their execution of the offense, or did you see the offense doing different things than before?

I'm wondering if what you saw was the offense finally getting on the same page and executing properly, (which is what it sounds like) or whether the play-calling suddenly "improved", or what?

I'm sticking by what I said earlier on this board--this team is going to get better the more the freshman QB and o-linemen get experience together. Meager definitely has some skills.

Very cool game-day experience, sounds like! biggrin.gif

Awesome post....and very positive. I am very interested in what Chancellor Jackson is up to.....sounds like GOOD things! For all the negative stuff I've heard about him on the board and from a few "in the know" friends, he sure seems like he IS NOT going to derail the athletic push that UNT has been making the last 5 years....whether or not he's a micromanager is matter of choice--but as long as he keeps the ship moving forward I'm EXCITED!

I'm interested in your take on what was improved Saturday--namely, as you saw it, did the MG seem to have improved their execution of the offense, or did you see the offense doing different things than before?

Yes, execution of the offense was much improved, and I have to give that to Meager and Chad Rose.

It appeared Meager made the correct checks at the line of scrimmage and Rose made the correct checks for the O line during the run plays. In pass plays, DM was given time to pass most of the night. Our TE's Harmon and Brown gave him backside help often times against as fast a set of DE's your ever going to see. DM had to scramble to buy time a few times, and when he did, and didn't see an open reciever, he wisely threw it away. That shows maturity on DM's part. He is going to be good in the coming years. He didn't look rattled, and I would suspect that Tiger Stadium has to be one of the most intimidating arenas in the land. DM and the entire offense came off the field smiling all night long, because they knew what they were doing was good.

Our defensive unit for the most part got handled, but at times they also stiffened. They forced LSU to punt on the second series. Late in the second, down by 28 and LSU driving, Weathers intercepted Russell and returned it 11 yards to the NT 49 with less than two minutes remaining in the half. On their first possession of the 3rd quarter our defense stiffend and force a missed field goal. We didn't put much pressure on Russell, but he did get hit several times in the 3rd. The positive thing to take away from this game where our D is concerned is, our D won't face another team with that same caliber of size and speed until next September.

This offense had it's opportunities to score saturday night, when honestly I didn't think we would cross the 50 all night prior to the start of the game.

Our first drive went for 6 plays and 41 yards and stalled at the LSU 41. But during that play Cobbs broke for 16 yards on one play and I felt then we had a chance to move the ball a bit.

Our 4th drive included a 24 yard break by Jamario down to the LSU 47 that hushed the crowd a bit. Then another for 6, then another for 11. Then DM hits Nwigwe for 21 yards to the LSU 9. This hushed the crowd again. Had that completion occur a second earlier he looked like he could have taken it in for the score. The drive stalls and we end up getting a field goal attempt blocked.

On the Weathers interception, he nearly had his head ripped off and a penalty was thrown. But NT got a crappy illegal block call, and that brought it back. For whatever reason, the face mask call was declined?, but the illegal block was accepted which set the ball back for us at our own 39 instead of mid field. The block was right in front of us and it looked like our guy gave a good block on the shoulder to help spring weathers to mid field. We still drive the ball for 28 yards on 5 plays to set up Baz for the field goal. We very well could have only been down 28-10 at that point..

Our 1st possession in the second half:

Jamario for 4, for 10 and a 1st down, then SPJMo for 4 again, then pass complete to JQ for 9, then SPJMo for 2, then for 3, then on an incomplete pass DM gets leveled after he throws the ball, the penalty took us down to the LSU 28. Next play DM laces the ball on target to JQ who got behind their defense headed for the endzone, but the LSU DB make's an excellent tip at the last second. If DM gets the ball released a split second earlier to JQ it's a TD. Three plays later DM hits Nwigwe in the chest at the LSU 13 that bounces off and is intercepted. That completion would have had us set up inside the LSU 15. Still, that was an 11 play, 53 yard drive. We should only be down by 11 at this point.

LSU's next possession they drive to the NT 30 but we stopped them, forcing a field goal which they missed.

NT's next possession:

1st play is a 20 yard completion to JQ in which he's outright tackled by his facemask. JQ was running full speed by the guy when he reached out and grabbed him and I thought it broke his damn neck as it happened right in front of us. If he grabbed anything else, Johnny takes that ball down inside the LSU 20 because that side of the field was cleared out. 1st down NT at the LSU 35. Next pass complete to Harmon for 8, SPJMo rush for 2, completion to JQ for 19 to the LSU 10, SPJMo for 8 down to the 1. Drive stalls on the one. This was an 8 play 69 yard drive. We should only be down by 3 or 4 at this point.

At that point the local radio guys state that NT had 17 plays to LSU's 6 for the 3rd quarter.

That was the jist of the success from the first three quarters. Our offense had every reason to tank it again as in weeks past going 3 and out every series. But they didn't. After each series they came off the field with grins on their faces, looking positive as if they realized they could play with this group. No, they didn't score when they had the best opportunities, but they had the tools to do it and had made some good calls to continue some drives.

For me, it was a huge improvement since last December.

LSU's defense ranks 17th in the nation allowing only 307 yards per game. Their overall team speed on defense was phenominal. Considering that we won't face another defense ranked any higher than 74th(ASU) gives reason for optimism for sure.

Other remaining defenses and their rankings:

ULL-84th

ULM-90th

FAU-80th.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

For whatever reason, the face mask call was declined?, but the illegal block was accepted which set the ball back for us at our own 39 instead of mid field.

On the radio, the official stated that the penalties offset. Not sure why, because they, Georgio and Hank, acted like Weathers got his head ripped off.

On the radio, the official stated that the penalties offset. Not sure why, because they, Georgio and Hank, acted like Weathers got his head ripped off.

No, on the field the official states that the face mask was declined? Every LSU fan in our section looked over at us with an apologetic smerk, and no one understood it. We thought that maybe, since the illegal block, which was bullshit IMO, allowed Weathers to continue down to the point where the face mask infraction later occured, and considering that it was only a 5 yard face mask call(should have been a personal foul for sure), that the first illegal block automatically negates the other infraction?

Rick

I think in the chat someone mentioned that if we did not decline the Facemask penalty then the INT would have been voided.

Makes no sense b/c both penalties occurred after the INT happened so they should have been offset or even UNT should have gained another 5-10 yards.

Maybe someone with a better interpretation could lend some help.

Also the announcers mentioned that Jamario looked to crossed the goalline on 4th and goal, after that mistake it seems the team lost their steam unfortunately.

Also the announcers mentioned that Jamario looked to crossed the goalline on 4th and goal, after that mistake it seems the team lost their steam unfortunately.

It was very close, but replay on the jumbo trons, which you have to watch if your sitting down front near the 50 at Tiger Stadium to be able to tell anything at the ends, didn't show an angle from the side, only from behind the endzone.

Rick

Awesome post, FFR!

I'm wondering if what you saw was the offense finally getting on the same page and executing properly, (which is what it sounds like) or whether the play-calling suddenly "improved", or what?

I'm sticking by what I said earlier on this board--this team is going to get better the more the freshman QB and o-linemen get experience together.  Meager definitely has some skills.

Very cool game-day experience, sounds like!  biggrin.gif

I watched the whole game on TV. The implementation of quick passes is what we used to soften the D for the running game. It worked pretty well. Lots of slants. It didn't look so much like Meager reading coverage as much as it was throwing to spots that the receivers were supposed to be at. There were a couple of passes that lead me to believe that was the case.

Patrick Cobbs in the 1st quarter looked strong. He broke a tackle up the middle for about 7 yards and then met 3 lsu defenders and had them upright and almost spun off until a 4th defender came in and stopped his foward progress. Jamario looked pretty good as well.

I was happy to see us not go for the big play so much. I think I saw 1 or 2 bombs thrown by Meager that were a little out of reach, but one of our receivers was behind the secondary enough to try for something like that.

Edit: Sorry for such a short explaination, hopefully later i will have more time to elaborate.

Edited by MeanMag

Sorry but I can't pull specific things here and there out of a 56-3 loss. I did that after the MTSU game (and that was a win) and then we went out and got mauled the next game.

I want to see positives this week.

If I was Bustle I'd run all day and make us stop the run. Basically if the other team doesn't make mistakes, we are very beatable.

I think in the chat someone mentioned that if we did not decline the Facemask penalty then the INT would have been voided.

Makes no sense b/c both penalties occurred after the INT happened so they should have been offset or even UNT should have gained another 5-10 yards.

Maybe someone with a better interpretation could lend some help.

If NT had accepted the face mask (5 or 15, doesn't matter) against LSU, the two penalties would have offset and the down would have been replayed, which means LSU's ball back at the previous spot.

However, by declining the penalty against LSU, there's now only one penalty, the illegal block during the return. It gets enforced, and the Mean Green KEEP THE BALL after the enforcement.

GMG

If NT had accepted the face mask (5 or 15, doesn't matter) against LSU, the two penalties would have offset and the down would have been replayed, which means LSU's ball back at the previous spot.

However, by declining the penalty against LSU, there's now only one penalty, the illegal block during the return.  It gets enforced, and the Mean Green KEEP THE BALL after the enforcement.

GMG

I undertstand your point, but if UNT was offsides or a pass interference was called, so be it, but how can a penalty that occurred after a clean INT cause it to be null an void, it is not like the block in the back helped him get the INT.

Oh well just one of the screwy quirks in the rule books i guess.

I mean no disrespect to Rick whatsoever with this post!!! But, Rick are you a coach or have you been one? I don't understand all of these people that are lauding his post like he's Jimmy Johnson. I mean people are saying they will only lister to FFR and that if he has seen positives than it must be so. Why is that?

Again, please Rick don't take any disrespect by this post, I'm just curious why this is the case. I don't have the technical know-how to quote all of those posts but just go back and read all of them.

I mean no disrespect to Rick whatsoever with this post!!!  But, Rick are you a coach or have you been one?  I don't understand all of these people that are lauding his post like he's Jimmy Johnson.  I mean people are saying they will only lister to FFR and that if he has seen positives than it must be so.  Why is that?

FWIW, I was just asking because I know he's at most games, has seen a lot of football, and was actually *there* for the LSU game. tongue.gif

Nice write-up, btw, Rick. wink.gif

SouthBendGreen

I don't understand all of these people that are lauding his post like he's Jimmy Johnson. I mean people are saying they will only lister to FFR and that if he has seen positives than it must be so. Why is that?

Gee, I don't have any idea why that is either SGB? I only get my information from here.

SouthBendGreen

.....I have been impressed with Daniel tonight!!

He doesn't look rattled!!! The kid looks like he could be a very accurate passer.

Jamario is showing why he should get 25 carries in a game when healthy. He has made some of the LSU defenders look bad!....

....I still think the offense has some things to build on. I know it sounds crazy, but those that watched the game have to agree with me. The O-Line looked much better tonight. Daniel had time to throw the ball. Hopefully DD and Ramon realized tonight they can throw the ball 25 times a game and have success mixing things up. I also hope they realized that Jamario needs 25 carries a game for the rest of the season. .....

....We knew LSU's offense would do this. But, I truly thought our offense would pretty much be three and out everytime. NT has had some nice drives.....

.....Jeez, I know that too. Can you not take anything positive!!!!?? I'm not trying to sound like Plum here, but the offense has done some nice things.......

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

SouthBendGreen

Gee, I don't have any idea why that is either SGB?  I only get my information from here.

SouthBendGreen

Rick

I sense much sarcasm. You don't get your information from me. I stand by everything I posted about the game, however I never would say that at any point did we belong on the same field with LSU. Not even close. I know NT had a chance to make it 28 - 10 on 4th and goal, but we still never belonged. Regarldess, my post was directed more towards this board in general. While I love the discourse with most of the members here, including you, I don't think I'll ever understand why some if not most always defer to you. It has nothing to do with me or what I have posted. Again, I mean no disrespect, but that's the way I've seen it on this board for years and some replies on this thread really brought it out to me.

Anyway, sorry to hijack this thread!

GO MEAN GREEN

Patrick

SouthBendGreen

I sense much sarcasm.

Your senses serve you well.

SouthBendGreen

I stand by everything I posted about the game,

I do too.

however I never would say that at any point did we belong on the same field with LSU. Not even close. I know NT had a chance to make it 28 - 10 on 4th and goal, but we still never belonged.

I understand you disagree with me, as I do with your oppinion as well, which we are all well aware of by now. I still stand by the fact that had we been able to score on each opportunity that we earned, we would have only been down 28-20 at the 3:30 mark of the 3rd quarter. I know we didn't, but I saw our team earn the right, up to that point of course, to be considered competitive with LSU. It didn't last long, but I enjoyed seeing this team pull themselves up off the ground and progress as well as they did.

Regarldess, my post was directed more towards this board in general. While I love the discourse with most of the members here, including you, I don't think I'll ever understand why some if not most always defer to you. It has nothing to do with me or what I have posted.

Hmmm, I see. It has nothing to do with you, it only has to do with the rest of us. ph34r.gif

Regardless, it goes without saying that it takes a special group of people to be MEAN GREEN. Many in Baton Rouge told us they respected us for showing up for a re-scheduled game and showing some love to our team. We are all a little off, we are all fanatics for NT, and we all want the same thing.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I mean no disrespect to Rick whatsoever with this post!!!  But, Rick are you a coach or have you been one?  I don't understand all of these people that are lauding his post like he's Jimmy Johnson.  I mean people are saying they will only lister to FFR and that if he has seen positives than it must be so.  Why is that?

Again, please Rick don't take any disrespect by this post, I'm just curious why this is the case.  I don't have the technical know-how to quote all of those posts but just go back and read all of them.

I not sure why it bothers you that people seem to trust FFR's opinions/assessments. Most of the time he's "right on", but not always.

It's kind of like people in the sports reporting business. rolleyes.gif

Would it be better if we waited for your sage insights/assessments before we have a discussion about the game? cool.gif