Dicky Buyout And Replacement

NTEXES1

First, of all, I am wondering how much the buyout clause is on Dicky's contract?

Secondly, what kind of head coach and staff are we looking for? I believe we need a staff that will get off their cans and start recruiting solid divison one prospects. Recruiting to compete against the Sunbelt does not cut it anymore. Just winning in the Sunbelt does not cut it anymore.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure DD has his strengths I am just not sure what they are, I used to think recruiting was his strength but how in the hell could he have dropped the ball on the whole unused scholarships this year.

Edited by KingDL1

K-State is a very good BCS team.............

Dude,

This isn't 2002. They are a middle of the pack Big 12 team and definetly not a good, let alone very good, BCS team. Tulsa drove OU mad a couple of weeks ago and I wouldn't be surprised it OU handles them rather easily. They were 4-7 last year and will scrap to be 6-5 this year.

Let's this straight once and for all-

Dickey isn't going anywhere. We can't buy him out and we sure as heck can't afford another coach. We've had this 'fire Dickey' BS already, and it never leads anywhere. The only option is to replace him at the end of his contract.

As for the offensive coordinator, that may differ.

Stick behind the team, folks. I hate this as much as you do, but I doubt that anyone here can get Dickey fired or fork enough cash for a buyout and replacement.

Dude,

This isn't 2002.  They are a middle of the pack Big 12 team and definetly not a good, let alone very good, BCS team.  Tulsa drove OU mad a couple of weeks ago and I wouldn't be surprised it OU handles them rather easily.  They were 4-7 last year and will scrap to be 6-5 this year.

Dude,

I hate to tell you but a middle of the pack Big 12 team is still a pretty good football team.

OU is a top tier Big 12 team and one of the top 25 team's in the nation. And it would surprise me if OU beats K State by more than 10.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't K-State have the nation's leading rusher?

Let's see if I have this right.....we are discussing getting rid of the only coach in the history of North Texas to win four straight conference championships. We are discussing getting rid of the coach who just took us to four straight bowl games. Is that right? Good Gosh..... We would probably not be having this discussion at all if Andrew Smith were playing quarterback for us instead of a redshirt Freshman. This is a very inexperienced team that will get better as the year goes along. This year will be a tough one but hang in there. Our babies will grow up just like the "Brandon Kennedy bunch" did.

I'm not happy with the lack of out of conference success, but the most we could have realistically hoped for playing Kansas State was to be respectable through the first half. If we run the Belt again, it should be considered a huge success for a team this inexperienced. I'm eager to see if Dickey can pull that off with this bunch. If he does, it will bode well for next year.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

I hate this as much as you do, but I doubt that anyone here can get Dickey fired or fork enough cash for a buyout and replacement.

Right. No ONE HERE has enough money. It will take a lot more than one and it will not be the people here, who I think generally are already giving.

Winning the Sun Belt. That has been good, but it is time to move up. We are in the bottom 10, and it's a good thing there aren't 10 in the conference.

I work with people from places like K-State, Tulsa, Texas, etc. Embarrassing to come from a place that can't even put a team on the field with these schools. Forget dropping to 1-AA. If it's going to be like this, let's just not play. No reason a school so big and otherwise well-positioned should not be able to beat even the better 1-AA teams.

Any of you out there thinking that it will all be OK if NT can manage to win the Belt are just lazy or fundamentally hopeless. It doesn't really do a lot of good to be able to go out there and say, 'well my school can consistently beat Middle Tennessee and Lousisana Monroe'. Set your sights higher and then demand achievement.

I am stunned that people still think we are going to have a cakewalk to a conference title this year.

No one who had taken a snap at QB.

An offensive line that had some experience, but no real time playing as a unit.

An entirely new defensive line.

An entirely new defenseive backfield.

If this team can come back and win the conference its going to be one of the biggest accomplishments in the Dickey era.

The MTSU win was huge, but there are teams in the SBC as good as us, if we don't get the offense rolling we are going to be in trouble.

I'll be there at every game win or lose, I hope most of you will too, especially this weeks National TV Game.

Dudes,

We have had this same discussion for 5 straight years with the OOC games.

You can not deny that DD has brought UNT to a higher status among the D-1 schools than when he first arrived!!! We are no longer between 100 - 117 in D-1 school before DD arrived. We are now in the middle of the pack!!!

You can not deny that DD has won 4 straight SBC Championships!!!

You wanted his head on a platter 4 years ago when we lost to UL-M.

You wanted his head on a platter after just about every OOC game!!!

What we have is 7 returning starters, 2 Freshmen QB's, more young depth than what we have ever had and a dedicated coach and staff!!

We are now 1-2 when we have usually been 0-3.

This get rid of DD talk just wears me out!!!

All you guys who want to get rid of DD have NO solution and no IDEA how hard it is to get a D-1 coach to come to UNT for the paultry salary the BOR pays.

Respect DD and the team for what they have done. It is still early in the season and UNT will get an unpresidented 5th SBC Championship at the end of the year.

who cares about crappy sbc championships?  win a normal ooc game!

Those crappy sbc championships have sent us to the NO Bowl four times. What has winning a normal OOC game done for the program?

By the way, what is a normal ooc game?

I absolutely love it....

Who cares about crappy SBC Championships??? Just ask everyone in our conference...I bet you could poll any of them and they would take a championship over an ooc win...

And as far as that goes I bet you'll be the first to throw out out some dumb ass quote if we lose an sbc game.

everyone is for firing dickey...yet know one has offered any names...anyone have a clue who would want to come here??? anyone

I'm not selling us short, but I think many people on this board sell us to high.

Congrat to ksu they kicked our butts...we're 1-2 and I just looked out the window, guess what the sky is not falling.

All doubters I would like to invite you to watch as NT extends our CONFERENCE winning streak...the game is on Oct 4th...show up or shut up!!!!

God Bless the Mean Green

Guest Aquila_Viridis

So what should we do to win OOC games?

Hire a nationally recognized and proven successful coach. It will cost a lot of money. Let's raise it. I'm not saying get rid of Mr. Dickey right now. I just don't see him getting us to the next level. So let's get a plan in place to raise the money necessary to hire a suitable replacement. It will do a lot more than building a stadium, and it will cost a lot less.

who cares about crappy sbc championships? 

So, before DD was here we where winning what? The Big 12 championship?

If someone thinks that Dickey can't get us to the next level, and they are committed to spend time/money/effort to make a change, then I can respect thier position. Even if I don't agree with it. But more power to you if you are going to make a commitment to what you think is going to help the program grow.

If someone thinks that titles, and bowl games and facility improvements that came under DD are "crappy"... well I can't respect that. Our program is far ahead of where it was when DD took over.

Dudes,

We have had this same discussion for 5 straight years with the OOC games.

You can not deny that DD has brought UNT to a higher status among the D-1 schools than when he first arrived!!!  We are no longer between 100 - 117 in D-1 school before DD arrived.  We are now in the middle of the pack!!!

You can not deny that DD has won 4 straight SBC Championships!!!

You wanted his head on a platter 4 years ago when we lost to UL-M.

You wanted his head on a platter after just about every OOC game!!!

What we have is 7 returning starters, 2 Freshmen QB's, more young depth than what we have ever had and a dedicated coach and staff!!

We are now 1-2 when we have usually been 0-3.

This get rid of DD talk just wears me out!!!

All you guys who want to get rid of DD have NO solution and no IDEA how hard it is to get a D-1 coach to come to UNT for the paultry salary the BOR pays.

Respect DD and the team for what they have done.  It is still early in the season and UNT will get an unpresidented 5th SBC Championship at the end of the year.

when does the bar get set higher than? I know that everyone on here wants to strive for the absolute best for this football team and for the school. But why then when our team drops bombs like this why is that some are not wanting to hold someone accountable. At some point the bar has to be set higher and the goals of the program have to adjust accordingly. To my and some others views, when you win 4 consecutive conference championships, you should be making strides at making more respectable showings in OOC games. I get sick watching other "mid-major" teams taking it to the big boys week after week. They might not win, but they still make respectable showings, and you know that they left everything out on the field. Alot of it has to do with mentality. I heard George and Hank talking about NT hoping to make a respectable showing and stay competative. I would think that as a head coach and a football team you come into every game looking to WIN. That's the problem here, the mentality of the head coach in these games should be to win, but realistically Dickey's mentalitity in these games is not to lose.

Just bottom line, if you think Dickey needs "more time" then when does the bar get setter higher and the goals of this football program go higher than they are? Because my thinking is that if it hasn't happened already, it's never going to with Darrell Dickey as the Head Coach of this program. Don't get me wrong, I'll still be there cheering on my team at every home game, but I am tired of seeing my team and my school getting embarressed week in and week out in OOC games.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

If someone thinks that titles, and bowl games and facility improvements that came under DD are "crappy"... well I can't respect that.  Our program is far ahead of where it was when DD took over.

The SBC championships and NO Bowl, especially the one we won, have been great. I am mainly concerned that there are too many people who are fully satisfied with that. Further, I am concerned that there are too many people who don't care at all.

We all need to be reaching out, and urging the school to reach out, to others and get them to care and get them to demand a higher level of success, and make sure the administration knows that accountability is demanded.

NT should be seen as a great institution, not just in athletics. However, a certain minimum level of performance in athletics is used by MANY people as a barometer of an institution's greatness. We could take a different route if we were a tiny private school, but as a large state school it is a requirement.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Oh and I want to make clear I'm not the one who said 'crappy'. I don't think too much of the other schools in the conference, relatively speaking, but I certainly wouldn't go that far.