Back of press box at Fouts

andrewrozell

I have't seen this posted, but driving to the 4PM practice to day I saw a massive billboard type graphic being put on the back of the press box... basically has Cobbs and Thomas and "Back 2 Back"... i think it looks pretty cool but could all the hype be dangerous?

Huh? unsure.gif In Denton, Texas, America, hype about anything Mean Green is NOT by any means dangerous. Maybe its I just don't get your drift in what your are saying about this, perhaps? smile.gif

I believe GGII did bring this idea up several months ago matter of fact. cool.gif New fans/new faces! That's what its all about in Mean Green Country these days! Isn't this journey we're on one helluva' ride for all of us no matter how we like our shades of green or even our logos?!? smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

the meaning of what i was saying is simply... it was nice to have them flying under the radar, but that is nearly impossible now since the national pub (ie USA today and SI). i know these guys are the best... but they have never faced pressure... pressure on thomas to not have a "fluke freshman year" (like i believe petterson did) and pressure on cobbs for NFL credibility. i hope that explains my position, we have never seen this amount of hype before.

the meaning of what i was saying is simply... it was nice to have them flying under the radar, but that is nearly impossible now since the national pub (ie USA today and SI). i know these guys are the best... but they have never faced pressure... pressure on thomas to not have a "fluke freshman year" (like i believe petterson did) and pressure on cobbs for NFL credibility. i hope that explains my position, we have never seen this amount of hype before.

Jamario Thomas averaged 6.9 yards against Big 12 competition last year and 6.3 yards against SBC so I think he understands pressure by now. He got more yards in front of larger audiences than he did vs SBC schools. I don't think JaMo or Patrick Cobbs think twice about all this national pub just knowing what we have read about each of their dispositions.

I think this national pub is good for ALL of NT, Denton, Denton County and DFW NT Exes and hope thousands from all these various constituencies honor these 2 young men and their fabulous Mean Green teammates by just simply buying tickets on Game Day (or before) and showing up en mass at Fouts Field.

Jamario Thomas averaged 6.9 yards against Big 12 competition last year and 6.3 yards against SBC so I think he understands pressure by now.  He got more yards in front of larger audiences than he did vs SBC schools.  I don't think JaMo or Patrick Cobbs think twice about all this national pub just knowing what we have read about each of their dispositions. 

I think this national pub is good for ALL of NT, Denton, Denton County and DFW NT Exes and hope thousands from all these various constituencies honor these 2 young men and their fabulous Mean Green teammates by just simply buying tickets on Game Day (or before) and showing up en mass at Fouts Field.

God forbid the City of Denton place billboards on each major highway leading into the city that touts Denton, UNT, and our rushing champions.

Welcome to Denton, Texas! Home of Back 2 Back National Rushings Champions and the University of North Texas Mean Green.

Of course, the background picture would be of Patrick and JaMo, along with a schedule of games.

Now if we could pull off an upset or 2 then we may ride the momentum created by P-Cobbs and J-Mo and generate more interest from the casual fan and fill Fouts. Who knows? Maybe the big doner would whip out the ol checkbook and fund our new stadium! tongue.gif

Now if we could pull off an upset or 2 then we may ride the momentum created by P-Cobbs and J-Mo and generate more interest from the casual fan and fill Fouts.  Who knows?  Maybe the big doner would whip out the ol checkbook and fund our new stadium!  tongue.gif

You just have to get Plummer started. wink.gif

I think it is very important that NT promote the heck out of Cobbs and Thomas for two reasons:

1. No one else is going to spend the money to promote our players. The more hype that we create, the more attention that pro scouts will give these guys. This attention is good for the whole program. We put guys in the NFL and we can recruit better.

2. All the worry and speculation about how long J-Mo stays at NT before he transfers to another school. If Jamario feel at home here and we promote him and show him the love he deserves he will have no reason to look elsewhere.

Other major schools spend a lot of money on drawing attention to their "big time" players. It is far past time that NT spend a few dollars on the players in what could arguably be the best stretch in NT football history.

GMG

You just have to get Plummer started. wink.gif

DG, you might be proud of me for this (because all my relatives are), but I've actually joined and been going to "New Stadiums Anonymous" (NSA) meetings of which all of these get-togethers begin with something like this: "Hello, I'm PMG, Lower Section E'er @ Fouts Field--Denton." (group response)>> "Hello PMG/Lower Section E'er" and that response from those who have the same problems as myself just really gives me a case of the warm fuzzies. unsure.gif

Then our hardy little "hopeful for new stadiums" support group share some very true-to-life heart-wrenching personal stories of each of our respective old stadiums that have gone bad, ie, splinters in our butts from old wooden bleachers, mens bathrooms that had a miniature "Wailing Wall" smack dab in the middle of the whole bathroom with nowhere to eliminate without splashing on someone elses shoes; light bulb tales galore such as those that have fallen out of rusty old light fixtures while bouncing off the top of NSA group members heads onto the cold, stark unpainted concrete of an old worn out stadium; and in general, these meetings with themes of new stadium dreams not yet fulfilled.

BUT........these "NSA" meetings are somewhat like the old brush arbor fundamentalist church-style meetings with every kind of emotion you can possibly have. We had one of our members with (unbeknownst to us) Turet Syndrome and we all thought he was going into one of those speaking in tongues deals until his TS medication fell out of his Rebok sports jacket--it was a pretty darn scary moment for some of the women in our group.

Yet our Turet Syndrome buddy had photos of his colleges old "wooden" rickety stadium (that they still use to this day with his disaproval, of course); anyway, he told us that old wooden fixture of a stadium was only being held together by termites all holding each other's little hands (bless the little critter's hearts). What a story that was! It was the highlight of that NSA meeting (other than his scary little fit that we thought was merely some kind of personal religious experience for him--although we are a secular group).

BTW, all our meetings are held in stadium press box media rooms all across this part of the Lone Star State. It's reassuring to all of us to meet in such an environment that keeps us from a certain extent from getting new stadium anxiety disorders. Some of our members are beyond help in that department rolleyes.gif and there has not been any medication approved by the FDA that has been found to be effective.

It is our understanding that NT grad Dr. Phil McGraw is very aware of our special unique group's problems and the noisy old chrome-domed ex NORTH TEXAN shrink has even penned a new book especially for those with our problems AND it soon to be available at your local book stores--it is entitled: TALES OF FOOTBALL STADIUMS GONE BAD WITH WAY TOO SLOW PLANS FOR THEIR REPLACEMENTS (With a 10 Step Recovery Program Enclosed CD--$19.95)!

Hey! Dr. Phil even said that he would accept our invite to be the keynote speaker at our national NSA meeting to be held in conjuntion with the Dallas Cowboys groundbreaking of their new stadum in D-FW's hyphen city, Arlington, Texas, USA. I'll get back with GMG.com with a report from our national convention and any New Stadiums Anonymous (NSA) meetings or announcements as they transpire. blink.gif

PS To Hunter Green: We "always" put capital B's and D's on the, uh, 2 strategic words, ie, ""B"ig "D"onor!" tongue.gif

PS II I will post a toll free number later where you all can send your tax deductible donations to our "New Stadium's Anonymous" group.

PS III: If you've spent all this time reading all the aforementioned tommyrot I've just posted, you've got to do something pretty quickly to get some semblance of a new life! laugh.gif Of course, the one who posted all that began to immediately lose what normal life he had left on that black letter day in 1982 day when NT announced we would de-elevate our athletic program down to NCAA D1-AA status and join the Southand Conference. It has been a very slow process in coming back to a normal existence from that 12 year 1-AA existence in what some have called a sports version of the Bataan death march for NT alums & fans who had to make that 12 year march. ph34r.gif

rolleyes.gif uh.............GMG! smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Rediculous statement! Athletes live for hype and pressure. To be the best you have to put that sort of pressure on yourself. It would be a travesty if we didn't hype them up after what they have done for this school.

Rediculous statement!  Athletes live for hype and pressure.  To be the best you have to put that sort of pressure on yourself.  It would be a travesty if we didn't hype them up after what they have done for this school.

Agreed. I also found the statement about Peterson having a "fluke freshman year" as odd.

---Dangerous-------absolutely..... if the sign is attached poorly and falls and hurts someone. Otherwise no.

---If you you don't believe in (or respect) yourself than don't expect anyone else to either. The only sign that is "dangerous" or undesirable is one that puts down some other team, not anything that promotes us and is realistic and true.

_________

RE: Plum: I am pretty sure he passed Freshman English and did not fail to turn in his writing assignments........... LOL ...keep posting! ...... those who don't want to read it don't have to read them.