8-11 PM practice rained out

mad dog

---If every place paid the same then about no one would teach in Van Horn, Marfa or some of these really remote places. That is what attracts people to go there......more pay.

---Midland has a harder time attracting young teachers than McKinney for example. College towns usually pay less because a lot of people want to teach there (hubby in school, can work on advanced degrees, more fun things to do, etc.)

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nine out of ten districts benefit from Robin Hood. For some reason we throw a pity party for Southlake about it instead of looking at the other nine that are able to offer a decent learning experience because of it.

I wouldn't be suprised if most, if not all, of those indoor facilities are funded by donations and not the districts. It helps to have an involved and affluent booster club.

An indoor facility has nothing to do with staying dry and everything to do with being safe. If you know what happend at Grapeland last year and what is surely (though hopefully not) going to happen somewhere this year, you would understand. This is the case not just for the football team, but the band, soccer team, baseball team, softball team, and anyone else that would need to keep out of dangerous conditions during activities. As far as how that affects North Texas, I can't say, I am speaking from a high school coach point of view.

Rick Perry has done everything he can to screw over public education. This session has gone into extra extra innings to pass an education bill, which should have been the first thing passed in the first session. No, they give themselves obscene retirement benefits (while arranging to slash the teacher retirement), and talk about how cheerleaders dance. The thing that pisses me off is Perry running a radio ad saying he wants to give teachers a "raise"...what he wants is to barely raise the state minimum salary which would affect a very small percantage of teachers, and cut their retirement plans, cut their insurance help. If he pulls it off, he would make things harder for educators and do it in the name of a "raise", which you know he will cram down our throats when he runs again. He doesn't even need to though, everyone is so put off by the national figures of the Democratic party, they mindlessly vote straight ticket Republican and Perry can piss on public schools some more and nobody will hold him accountable because Gore, Kerry, and Clinton have strayed too far away from the middle. The chances are decent that Perry is more liberal than a Democrat that may run against him, but he shouldn't worry, nobody will think for themselves, much less actually get out and vote. I hate straight ticket voting, and I hate the two party system, but they are the two factors in Texas politics today and Perry is riding those Bush coattails for all they are worth.

---In 2003 Perry called all those sessions to redistrict the state and increase his party's power.... besides the opposition l party losing in the deal, there now are almost no representatives that represent rural Texas anymore.

If only everyone had agreed to stay in the state to do their jobs there wouldn't have been a need for those special sessions.

People in rural Texas still have representatives.

This is gonna get locked down so fast.

---Amen Coach.. You obviously work in education... some posters are thinking I am getting too political... Really I am just telling the truth. Perry has been the worst enemy education has ever had. (Dolph Briscoe years ago was close).

---Mad hatter... name one US representative that is not from a town 100,000 or larger, Other than district 1 in far East Texas there are now almost none that well represent or speak for agricultural interests which is a big deal in this state.. Those sessions were about redistricting the US Congressinal districts and improving DeLay's situation not State legislative ones. Those guys left the state after Perry stated he would send the Texas Rangers after them if they "broke" quorems. He was the FIRST Governor ever to threaten representatives or State Senators that way. By leaving the state the Rangers could not reach them. Those special sessions are his (and Delay's) fault, not the members of the Legislature of either party.

---Tradtionally until then to break quorem they just stayed in their offices, the coffee shop, or at home. It has ALWAYS been a common practice to do that. When Perry ordered the Texas Rangers to drag them out of Ardmore, the Oklahoma Gov. stated if they came he would have them arrested for kidnapping. Your profile shows you are rather young.. You don't realize what Perry has done that others have never done before. Public Education is really getting screwed over, including University funding which has caused all these tuition increases.

---North Texas and other universities have increased tuition and have been hurting because of his actions... "This topic is very NT related and affects our funding". These sessions are about cutting taxes on property which really helps those with huge property interests (Ross Perot and others) . It is not about helping education and it will not help the average person because of increases in sales taxes will offset the difference.

Coach--- I work in education as well and my salery is also funded by local and state tax money. Perry is messing with us everyway possible, many schools will now not even have needed textbooks when school begins because of his crazyness. These sessions and the last ones have spent money needed for schools and univerities. The only reson for these sessions is Perry vetoed the education/budget bill passed in regular session (by BOTH parties).

If you think this is political.. check out what I am saying. Everything is true.

---Coach you are probably right about the indoor facilities being built largly with donations. I think new and large weightroom facilities here were contructed pretty much the same way... mostly donations.

---Now maybe NT can get out there and find someone with a lot of money to give away.... while donations are still tax deductable...... that is on the table in Washington as well (eliminating donation deductions was in Bush speech last week). First we need a stadium however.

---I understand the safety issue.... Midland Lee had a football player picked off by lightening about 30 years ago.. The coaches fortunately had already dismissed the players but one was hit directly before he made it to the building. Even a coach I taught with was struck in his front yard, .... Amazingly he he was ok..... goofy for a couple of weeks but he did come back to work and was fine. He thinks it probably hit a steel post about a foot from him but he was knocked out and really messed up for a while. His hand was on the post.

MeanGreenBuzz

Can alumni and current student donate to a fund for paying coaches salaries? or is there some NCAA rule against it?

Yes, alumni and current students can donate to our coaches, which is basically what GMG.com did this summer by raising funds for their summer clinic. As far as the Mean Green football program goes, nothing is more important for our future than getting our assistant coaching salaries up to par with the rest of the conference. NOTHING!

Rick

Well...... hell....... since its going to get locked anyhow!

user posted image

user posted image

The Greatest political platform ever!!!!!

From www.kinkyfriedman.com

THE STATE OF POLITICS

Today, Texans have no choice for their leadership except paper or plastic. Political parties are for sale to the highest bidder, and lobbyists control the Texas Legislative agenda. "A fool and his money are soon elected. " - Kinky Friedman

Current Texas election laws make it nearly impossible for a non-party candidate to get on the ballot. Perhaps this explains why only 25 percent of eligible Texas voters participated in the last gubernatorial election. Texans need real representation, and they’re not getting it. "The career politicians are keeping the elevator at the penthouse floor and not sending it down for the rest of us." - Kinky Friedman

The two major parties spent $100 million in the last gubernatorial election for a job that pays $100,000. Do the math. Nope - it doesn’t add up. "I’m running this campaign on the coin of the spirit. I need your help." - Kinky Friedman

Texas was founded by independent, courageous, honorable citizens. The last great Independent elected governor of Texas was Sam Houston, over a hundred and fifty years ago. Texas needs a strong independent voice, if it is ever to regain its greatness. "If you elect me, I’ll be the first Governor in Texas history with a listed phone number." - Kinky Friedman

EDUCATION REFORM: Priority One

The young people of Texas are our future, and we must treat them as such. They are our number one resource for that future. The current government seems to prefer band-aids over solid planning for the next generations of Texas. A Texas revolution is needed in our school systems. "No teacher left behind" - Kinky Friedman

Texas is #1 in drop out rates and #48 in education spending. Our children deserve so much more. Texas is also 48th in per capita child protection expenditures, as well as 49th in general, 46th in mental health, 45th in public health, 49th in state arts agency, 44th in highway, and 49th in water quality expenditures. The Austin American-Statesman is correct: "It’s Texas vs. Mississippi in a race to the bottom."

Teachers are Kinky’s heroes, along with police, soldiers, firefighters, and cowboys. Each of us remembers a teacher who made an impact on and changed our lives for the better. Kinky intends to identify these special people and seek their advice in creating a vibrant, responsive and forward-looking education system for Texas. "Politicans appear to be more interested in French cuffs than solving our problems." - Kinky Friedman

TEXAS PEACE CORPS

Kinky will create an in-state volunteer agency, modeled after the Peace Corps, in which he served, to promote the arts and life skills in Texas schools. Musicians and artists, along with retired teachers, business executives, and police, will join us in teaching our kids how to act, play music, paint, write a check, keep accounts, and stay out of trouble. Kinky will ask his friends, including Laura Bush, Willie Nelson, Richard ‘Racehorse’ Haynes, and former UT Coach Darrell Royal, to lead this effort. "Never say **** in front of a c-h-i-l-d." - Kinky Friedman

CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM

Kinky is not anti-death penalty, just opposed to executing the wrong person! DNA has released dozens of improperly convicted people from death rows all over America. We’ve learned that juries and testimony are not infallible. There are cases in which the death penalty is warranted, but there is no disputing the obvious: Texas executes people who may be innocent. Taking a life is a grave responsibility - no pun intended. Two thousand years ago an innocent man named Jesus Christ, was executed; Kinky’s question is: "What have we learned in two thousand years?"

NEW ENERGY: Kinky To Make Texas #1 Again

For decades, Texas was #1 in US oil and gas exploration. It once even led the world! Texas can reclaim its role as world leader in new energy production with alternative solutions. Kinky is our ‘energizer’ candidate.

WILLIE AND KINKY: Bio-Diesel Buddies

Bio-diesel fuel powers Willie Nelson’s famous bus, the Honeysuckle Rose. Bio-diesel, eco-friendly and produced from agricultural products - even reclaimed frying grease - is a first step in the right direction. Willie will work with Kinky in promoting and developing bio-diesel and all of Texas’ vast, untapped, environmentally friendly resources. Currently, we’re using this fuel source for landfill. Surely, pulling a rutabaga out of the ground is more cost-effective than drilling a two-mile-deep hole in the sand. "How hard could it be?" - Kinky Friedman.

ABOLISH POLITICAL CORRECTNESS

Political correctness must be abolished. Texans need to be told the truth. Texans do not need opaque, carefully scripted press releases.. "A man oughtta be able to light his cigar once in a while." - Kinky Friedman

DE-WUSSIFICATION

Our icons are being demeaned. Cowboys are no longer heroes for our children, but subject to derision. We are being laughed at instead of respected in the rest of the country. What has happened to our glorious heritage? This is the great state of Texas! We are not wusses, we are Texans. "We will beat back the wussification of Texas if we have to do it one wuss at a time." - Kinky Friedman.

IN SUMMARY

KINKY MAY BE THE ONLY PERSON IN TEXAS WHO CAN MAKE REAL CHANGES IN HOW TEXANS ARE GOVERNED, PROTECTED AND SUPPORTED BY THEIR LEADERS. TEXAS NEEDS HELP. WE NEED TO PUT A REAL GOVERNOR ON HER. VOTE KINKY. YOU’LL LIKE IT.

VOTE KINKY!!!!!

ShaneB

Seriously folks, we have much bigger problems than that of not having a freakin' indoor practice facility.  Bear Bryant and Gene Stallings drove their Junction Boys out to the hottest spot that they could find, with no AC and no women around and gave them a cup of water every hour to keep them alive.  Football is becoming too much about tea and crumpets.

EXACTLY!

EXACTLY!

I hate when this example is used

Bryant nearly killed some of those Junction Boys and put one into heat stroke that caused enough damage to his internal organs that he never played football again but also caused him health problems for the rest of his life.

Even Bear Bryan admitted years later that it was the worst damn fool thing he ever did and wished he had never done it.

I can't see why anyone thinks the Junction Boys is an example to be copied

---Agree.. that is probably one of the stupidest thing any coach ever did.

---Some of the Training Camp sites that the Cowboys used weren't all that bright either (Wichita Falls in July--geeez). Landry and now Parcell picked rather cool areas to work near San Francisco and learn instead of seeing how many players they could kill off instead in 100+ Texas.

---I actually went to the Junction site this Summer for the first time.... It is now owned by Texas Tech and they were having summer classes there..... geology and others. Nice place now.

I hate when this example is used

Bryant nearly killed some of those Junction Boys and put one into heat stroke that caused enough damage to his internal organs that he never played football again but also caused him health problems for the rest of his life.

Even Bear Bryan admitted years later that it was the worst damn fool thing he ever did and wished he had never done it.

I can't see why anyone thinks the Junction Boys is an example to be copied

I see an indoor facility as an advantage when it is raining cats and dogs, is too cold to effectively work out and the fact that in today's world, a school has to protects its players to the extent as to be concerned with lawsuits.

NT doesn't need any lawsuits for carelessness with heat-related injuries. Global warmring (IMHO) is making for what seems to be hotter August and Septembers (unless middle age is causing some of that, too) laugh.gif

Stebo is right, though, inasmuch as on the other side of the coin we can't pamper our players to the extent that they aren't ready for wet, humid-type weather they will encounter in Baton Rouge in a few weeks or very cold weather which is not as likely for a Sun Belt schedule.

We do have many big fish to fry at NT, but we also sorta' need to keep up with the NCAA D1-A school's athletic venue's arms race, too, and indoor practice facilities seems to be the latest rage among that group in the NCAA. huh.gif Wonder what some of our Texas largest high schools are spending on these facilities?

Whatever the case, at NT we would need something that would look nice because 50,000 interstate travelers drive by the Mean Green Athletic Village every day of the year (according to state stats on that subject).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

---Some of the Training Camp sites that the Cowboys used weren't all that bright either (Wichita Falls in July--geeez).  Landry and now Parcell picked rather cool areas to work near San Francisco and learn instead of seeing how many players they could kill off instead in 100+ Texas.

Wichtia Falls and San Antonio were'nt picked for there weather conditions. It was about marketing. Those cities actually PAID to have the Cowboys training camp there, enough to cover all of the teams training camp exspense.

Edited by Baby Arm!