The Definitive Denton Restaurant Thread

Harry

Here's one that will bring back memories for the old timers - do you guys recall that frozen drink spot there over by the cemetary off of eagle and ft worth drive.  That was in the days before DWI was a big deal and you could get a huge alchohol laced frozen drink in the drive through!  It was over by the tire place I believe and I forget the name of it.

Igloos!!!!! I guess the Government or the communists outlawed

that type of place. I absolutely remember Igloos. One afternoon,

me and some other students were hanging around one of our professors

office shooting the breeze when the prof gave one of us a $50 and told us to

get everybody frozen drinks from Igloos. (He was very cool). We spent all of his money and we thought he'd get really mad but he didn't care. We had a frozen happy hour.

My favorite place to eat in Denton these days is Siam Steak House.

It's fantastic Thai food.

When I was a student I liked eating at that diner on Fry St. across from

the Sammy house. It was great Sunday morning hangover food. The name

escapes me though.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Igloos!!!!! I guess the Government or the communists outlawed

that type of place. I absolutely remember Igloos. One afternoon,

me and some other students were hanging around one of our professors

office shooting the breeze when the prof gave one of us a $50 and told us to

get everybody frozen drinks from Igloos. (He was very cool). We spent all of his money and we thought he'd get really mad but he didn't care. We had a frozen happy hour.

My favorite place to eat in Denton these days is Siam Steak House.

It's fantastic Thai food.

When I was a student I liked eating at that diner on Fry St. across from

the Sammy house. It was great Sunday morning hangover food. The name

escapes me though.

Jim's Diner - now Bagheri's Restaurante.

I did, after she left......

Let's see, you are posting on this board at some ungodly hour and have a young lady over at your place. Seeing that you decided to post over spending time with her, I would say that you have either lost all sensibility or are really addicted to this board.

What I love about Denton is that there's lots of good places to eat. I graduated from UNT in December '95, then I moved back to Denton for three years, leaving in 2002. I hate that they waited until I left to bring in a lot of good resturants.

Hamburger: Denton County (no doubt)

Chinese: Chinatown Cafe (great buffet!)

Sandwich: NY Subs

Greek: I can't remember the name but it's a little hole in the wall off University across from Radio Shack! Very good.

Steak: Traildust (A short drive east on 380 but well worth it. Best steaks ever!)

Ribs: Texas Roadhouse (Also very good steaks and chicken)

Italian: I've never been to the Johnny Carino's in Denton but I love the one here in OKC.

Mexican: not a good one in town sad.gif

Note: I was passing through Denton yesterday and stopped at the Cracker Barrell. In their store they had UNT shirts and caps with the new logo on them. They had stuff from two Universities: UNT and UT with there being more UNT stuff!

Mi Casita has good Mexican food. They're on Carroll, right near the square, and they also have a drive-thru on University.

The Johnny Carinos in Denton is the best one I've ever eaten at. They've got one in Lewisville, near my house, but it's not nearly as good.

Guest JohnDenver

Anyone remember Steve's BBQ ? I had read that the place burned down (go figure in Denton) and it was going to be rebuilt. Anybody know the details ?

It did burn down. He was taking donations to rebuild -- since he had no insurance. There was a Steve's BBQ benefit concert held at Hailey's bar near the square. Not sure of the timeline. Also, I hear that he serves his BBQ at Haileys on certain nights. Kerm (if he reads this) will be able to tell us if this is true.

Let's see, you are posting on this board at some ungodly hour and have a young lady over at your place. Seeing that you decided to post over spending time with her, I would say that you have either lost all sensibility or are really addicted to this board.

Board Addict? 5450+ posts to less than 200? Who's the addict?

Besides, A guy has to eat a sandwich at some point! And.....keeping with this thread...I'll take a New York Subway #12-footlong. ( I just can't call it the New York Sub Hub...sorry) smile.gif

Board Addict? 5450+ posts to less than 200? Who's the addict?

Besides, A guy has to eat a sandwich at some point! And.....keeping with this thread...I'll take a New York Subway #12-footlong. ( I just can't call it the New York Sub Hub...sorry) smile.gif

HELLO, MY NAME IS PlummMeanGreen AND I AM A GMG.COM-HOLIC'! (Alright gol' darn it, yall are supposed to say: Hello, PMG... rolleyes.gif

Wish NT had $10 for every post made from every poster on GMG.com and we'd be talking domed stadium in Denton, Texas, America! cool.gif

PS: New York Subway sandwich whole #3, cut the cheese, but everything else on it. smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The Clay Pot.

WOW!!! i can't believe you guys remember the CLAY POT!!!! that was my family's owned restaurant. My grandparents and uncles/aunts created the place. Randy White used to fly in regularly in his chopper and land in the back. He was one of our regulars. that was always fun to see him come in. I would work often, usually every weekend and fridays. I loved that place. It was big. The food was great... Especially on sundays... not to mention the T-bones were excellent in my opinion.

I miss the place.. believe it or not my cousin and i were playing around with the idea of bringing the claypot back to business

Edited by Travis

Guest JohnDenver

WOW!!! i can't believe you guys remember the CLAY POT!!!! that was my family's owned restaurant. I used to work there every weekend and fridays. I loved that place. Especially on sundays... not to mention the T-bones were excellent in my opinion.

I miss the place.. believe it or not my cousin and i were playing around with the idea of bringing the claypot back to business

Why did it go out in the first place?

Why did it go out in the first place?

Alot of family problems and difficulties. The head owner, my grandfather, had severe heart problems and my grandmother wanted to tend to him. That, and a few other problems within the family, led to the restaurant really being led by just my aunt. And she really couldn't keep that burden on her shoulders alone.

But, let me tell you... the money.... was good. smile.gif We were planning on chaining the biz.... but now i think back on it... and my whole entire youth and all the socialness that comes with it would have been shot down because i would have been too tied to the restaurant.