Baseball @ UNT?

res1dg16

I think RV would love to add it because of the lack of NT athletics during spring, but there are two things going against it. One, a womens sport would have to be added also to stay with Title IX compliance, and in the creation and upkeep of a diamond and it gets really expensive. Two, if a mans sports was to be added, it would be alot cheaper to add a mens soccer team, since we already have facilities they could use and the scholarship minimum is lower.

I for one would love to have UNT baseball as a scholarship sport.

CMJ, a fellow alum called me today and said you and I were running neck and neck for this board's most post. Harry called me from his cell phone this AM and told me whoever gets to 500 first wins an expense paid trip to Hawaii on him! cool.gif (Just kiddin' Harry AND CMJ) ph34r.gif

I think the Kids Korner thing in the summer gave me more posts than I needed to have. (Alright out there, no comment on that one)! rolleyes.gif

Because of economics it probably won't happen, but I think it would be great for UNT to add baseball.  There are just too many good JUCOs and high schoolers in your area for ya'll not to play.

I emailed RV asking this question for my nephew, who is a senior on the Grapevine High School team. RV's reply was that UNT currently had a Club team. He didn't say much more which leads me to believe that this is not in his immediate plans. I must agree. There are bigger fish to fry at this time.

Folks, we all know that men's baseball is an expensive proposition. Annual operating costs would be in the $250,000 - $300,000 range, plus the $3.5 mil to build a decent ballpark. So we can't look for it to happen anytime in the near future. The day we do ever decide to add hardball will be an indication that UNT is drawing the attendance in football and basketball and receiving the dontations from our tight fisted alums in the numbers necessary to fund our athletic department to the level it needs to be. RV said we should have a budget of $15 mil. $20 mil gets you to the Louisville level and then you can really start to do something with your programs.

I don't see how UTA, SWT, ULM, many SLC schools, and most Texas junior colleges can fund and have baseball, and a major university with 30,000 students can't. I know the Title IX and $$ arguments, but so many of these other schools have it somehow, why not UNT?  

This is exactly what I want to know....

My brother is a senior at Marcus high school where he plays varsity baseball and he is looking for colleges and it is reallllllly sad to me that he can't even consider UNT.