Tulsa (2/7/24)

9 hours ago, GMG24 said:

They took the last few teams they've played to the wire before losing late.  They are a good basketball team in a really tough basketball conference.  

Kinda OT, but those 1980s-1990s Golden Hurricane squads were unreal.  I couldn't believe the coaches they went through.  One home run hire after another, for like 20 years.

Watching Tulsa and Bill Self come through El Paso was electric.  I think it was his last year in Tulsa when he took them to the E8.  30 win season.  I can only think of a few times where the atmosphere in the Haskins Center matched or exceeded that energy.  A ranked UNM squad, some of the NMSU games, and getting to see Bob Knight, who was widely known as best friend to Haskins.  They were hunting/fishing buds.

It's always been a dream of mine to see 10K people in The Super Pit.  I think a S16 run would light a fire in the Denton base.  The feeling is incredible.

Anyway, thanks for hearing my nostalgia lol

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, greenminer said:

Kinda OT, but those 1980s-1990s Golden Hurricane squads were unreal.  I couldn't believe the coaches they went through.  One home run hire after another, for like 20 years.

Watching Tulsa and Bill Self come through El Paso was electric.  I think it was his last year in Tulsa when he took them to the E8.  30 win season.  I can only think of a few times where the atmosphere in the Haskins Center matched or exceeded that energy.  A ranked UNM squad, some of the NMSU games, and getting to see Bob Knight, who was widely known as best friend to Haskins.  They were hunting/fishing buds.

It's always been a dream of mine to see 10K people in The Super Pit.  I think a S16 run would light a fire in the Denton base.  The feeling is incredible.

Anyway, thanks for hearing my nostalgia lol

They've shown the ability to get a lot of people to the game vs SMU but they're going to need to apply the same effort and energy each home game to get that many people there.  I sat next to the crew who does ticketing our last home game and we started talking.  I asked them why they yelled at me to WAKE UP!! They got a kick out of it I told them the calls automatically get sent to voicemail as the University calls often for money and donations.  I said the Text IMO was the best way to engage.  Told them I really liked getting one a week out, then a few days before the game, then Game day as life gets busy and sometimes I forget about a game.  They took notes and said they really appreciated the Feedback.  All were fairly young adults starting their careers I told them being able to put on your resume you raised attendance from x numbers of fans per game to x numbers of fans it would be big for their next step in career.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 2/9/2024 at 7:28 AM, GMG24 said:

They've shown the ability to get a lot of people to the game vs SMU but they're going to need to apply the same effort and energy each home game to get that many people there.  I sat next to the crew who does ticketing our last home game and we started talking.  I asked them why they yelled at me to WAKE UP!! They got a kick out of it I told them the calls automatically get sent to voicemail as the University calls often for money and donations.  I said the Text IMO was the best way to engage.  Told them I really liked getting one a week out, then a few days before the game, then Game day as life gets busy and sometimes I forget about a game.  They took notes and said they really appreciated the Feedback.  All were fairly young adults starting their careers I told them being able to put on your resume you raised attendance from x numbers of fans per game to x numbers of fans it would be big for their next step in career.

If you see them again ask why they haven't put the same effort into the other home games.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

On 2/10/2024 at 9:27 AM, Matt from A700 said:

Seriously... When does that extra TV money start kicking in??

I think in June? That should be our first AAC pay out. When someone files a FOIA request we should be able to see how much we are getting from the TV deal, as well as other revenue.