Morris Weekly Press Conference (9/26/2023)

Big Z

Asked about any Navy prep for next week because of their style of play, Morris mentioned they worked on it over summer but more focused on the now than the triple option. I just have to think it was brought up at least once with it being a BYE because I remember Seth and Co would have prep at least a week before back in ‘16 and ‘17.

Also both Morris, Ayo and even Chandler himself raved about confidence and calm collectiveness that Chandler has in the big situations. Dare I say the Tylor Perry of football… haha

Morris has talked about penalties in the past and said they are going to be a huge emphasis going forward so “we don’t keep killing ourselves, shooting ourselves in the foot”

FCS team matchup doesn’t matter, but that’s a typical repsonse.

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

When he was speaking about the defense going 4-down(linemen) against Cal and FIU, did anyone notice it then? Seems like they were predominantly in 3-3-5. It wasn’t until La Tech where I saw 4 actual DL. Is he also including an OLB walking down to the line as “down” personnel? Little confusing from Morris there. 

52 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Asked about any Navy prep for next week because of their style of play, Morris mentioned they worked on it over summer but more focused on the now than the triple option. I just have to think it was brought up at least once with it being a BYE because I remember Seth and Co would have prep at least a week before back in ‘16 and ‘17.

Also both Morris, Ayo and even Chandler himself raved about confidence and calm collectiveness that Chandler has in the big situations. Dare I say the Tylor Perry of football… haha

Morris has talked about penalties in the past and said they are going to be a huge emphasis going forward so “we don’t keep killing ourselves, shooting ourselves in the foot”

FCS team matchup doesn’t matter, but that’s a typical repsonse.

I still don't know how Chandler didn't start.? Very calm and collective with a coolness about him. 

• Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, ForneyGreen said:

Coach Morris mentioned that Landon Sides will probably start this week (Freshman WR) meaning that he won't be redshirted.

Pretty impressive if Landon has moved up through the ranks of a deep WR room (not sure which slot guys might be hurt right now).

Yes meant to add that to what I put, Jordan Smart not listed at all on chart

4 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

When he was speaking about the defense going 4-down(linemen) against Cal and FIU, did anyone notice it then? Seems like they were predominantly in 3-3-5. It wasn’t until La Tech where I saw 4 actual DL. Is he also including an OLB walking down to the line as “down” personnel? Little confusing from Morris there. 

Yes, they have to use the "walk down" method to be multiple up front as the call can change pre-snap. They are usually walking down the Mike LB to come off the edge. When 4 DL are in these they are limited in their calls. If you go back and look at tape, our traditional 4 man front has a DL replacing the MLB which I think causes issues with tackling in the box.  Other 4 man fronts usually take out a safety when the extra DL goes in. 

• Upvote 1