UTSA Got 49,000 in Dome.

Danish43

We get there by investing in a coaching staff that has a proven track record of success.  Anything short of that is a waste of time and money.

If anyone thinks that people show up for any other reason, you're delusional.  its not how it works anywhere.   There is no program in existence that has a big time following that either doesn't have a rich history of winning or is currently winning. 

I'm tired of people putting blame on alumni and students for not showing up to watch a historically bad program.  Its just not how it works anywhere.  OU, Michigan, UT, Bama have huge followings because of a history of success, it didn't just happen one day randomly.  The bulk of their fans are T-Shirt fans, they don't gave a rats ass about anything else.  Why would we think it should be any different here?  The masochists on this board (myself included) who will watch shit year after shit year because of our allegiance to the school are the exception.

Edited by aprice
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2

At some point during the Rick Villarreal era, Rick said we would no longer hire head coaches that didn’t have prior head coaching experience.  Whatever your opinion of RV,  I think that’s a good policy.  

Now RV violated that statement with the Seth Littrell hire and Jared did, in my opinion by hiring a HC without D1 head coaching experience.  I hope this works out but we sometimes are our own worst enemy.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 9/11/2023 at 12:13 PM, Danish43 said:

I just heard that they got 49,000 to attend their Texas St game. I hope we can someday get those numbers.

If we had an opponent who traveled as well as Texas State did following their Baylor win we’d sell out no problem. I assure you Texas State had more to do with that record attendance than UTSA.

If you don’t believe that check the attendance for their next home game on 10/7 against Temple. It won’t matter if they beat both Army and Tennessee over the next to weeks, they still won’t beat the attendance they brought with Texas State helping them out.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Eye Roll 2

UTSA/TX State is basically a double home game with two programs that have a lot of excitement around them.

We could sell out DATCU if we were good and hosted a good SMU team. Not the current situation obviously. 

I am extremely disappointed in the beginning of the Eric Morris era, but I will be there at the end of the month when we host ACU because I want to support the football culture at North Texas. 

1 hour ago, Cougar King said:

A&M has definitely won in the past. Tech has also had some iconic moments.

I think both of these schools would be worth looking at to see what they're doing to get fans to buy in. They're both traditionally middle of the pack in their conferences, with a few exceptional years thrown in. I can also acknowledge that there's something to be said for hosting Texas/OU/Bama/etc. at least every other year. I get that. All that said, I just think they've done an amazing job of getting buy-in for their football programs even though they seem to be the exception to the "win and get support" mentality. If I was an AD, I would have my team wear out their counterpart's phones at those two schools (particularly Texas Tech since we just brought in a marketing person from there). There's no reason to reinvent the wheel. Do we need to win some games? Of course. But those schools are doing something to get fan buy-in that goes beyond winning games.

• Upvote 1