UAB

TheColonyEagle

If Oregon St and Washington St are watching these two AAC games tonight I’m sure they’ve concluded they want no part of the AAC. And wait until Saturday at DATCU with the heat.  

It won’t take long for the AAC to fall to the bottom of P5’s or whatever it’s called now. 

If we don’t care enough to fill our stadiums no one else will care either  

Edited by meangreenbob
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 7
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

If Oregon St and Washington St are watching these two AAC games tonight I’m sure they’ve concluded they want no part of the AAC. And wait until Saturday at DATCU with the heat.  

It won’t take long for the AAC to fall to the bottom of P5’s or whatever it’s called now. 

Ok I may calm down a little there…..

I think we’ll draw better than UAB appears to have drawn in Dilfer’s debut but to say we’ll fall to the bottom of the P5s is a bit much since we already are technically at the bottom of the P5s.  But we’ll still be ahead the rest of the non P5s which won’t draw either….

My point was Dilfer at UAB is ALL hype and even then, the hype didn’t bring fans out to his first game. I think he’s a joke of a hire…..we’ll see how that unfolds. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I mean, they played NC A&T on a Thursday night. I’m not sure the “big boys” would have drawn well for that one.

First game with a new coach and all the excitement around Dilfer and they had crap attendance. It shouldn’t happen. Go support your team, the opponent doesn’t matter

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

6 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

My point was Dilfer at UAB is ALL hype and even then, the hype didn’t bring fans out to his first game. I think he’s a joke of a hire…..we’ll see how that unfolds. 

Hype?  This is the first time I have thought of this hire since it was announced.  Dilfer isn’t a hall of fame player or established college coach.  And although he has been successful as highschool coach he started coaching at that level in 2019.  He has no track record of recruiting at the college level.  I wouldn't have been excited for this season if he was our new head coach.  At best I would be very cautiously optimistic hoping that he could coach the QB position better than his predecessor.  If I were a UAB fan, Trent Dilfer hype wouldn't make me more likely to come to a game.  On top of that they played an FCS team with no natural local interest.  Stanford or Cal games attendence would be pathetic in a season opener verses a FCS team outside California or a bordering state also.   Take Trent's time as a somewhat popular NFL commentator away from him and he probably doesn't get a job like this so soon into his coaching career.  So I don't know why you thought the "hype" would be a significant driver for attendance.  Lastly I think the remaining 4 PAC schools have no interest in traveling east past Texas for conference games to G5 schools.  If they could wave a magic wand to craft a new conference without additional P5 schools, they would probably opt for conference of mostly MWC teams replacing 2-4 of the smallest market schools in MWC with  SMU, UTSA, Rice, UNT, Tulsa, or Tulane.  (Probably in that order of priority or close to it).  Nothing UAB could do in a season opener besides losing to a FCS, or having some sort of riot would make UAB any less desirable as conference mate for a formerly P5 west coast school.  UAB has never played one of the PAC 4 either.  🤷🏽‍♂️

8 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

SDSU had a reported 24k this past Saturday night. Anybody who watched knows attendance wad worst than that. With that I ask you, why did SDSU nearly get in the PAC this past summer before the media deal collapsed and where will the PAC 2 go if the MWC and AAC have attendance issues?