Does realignment make the Cal game even bigger?

This was brought up in another thread and got me really intrigued. While my guess is that this will all be resolved before Sept 2nd, does us playing Cal make this game even bigger in terms of convincing the PAC-4 to want to join the AAC? If so I really hope we are putting on the full-on press for a sell-out to make a good impression. A win would be nice too. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

CAL is going to be in whatever conference helps them service the almost half a billion dollars in athletics debt they have. 

See where Cal's BOR has called a special closed secession meeting tonight. Have a feeling that debt will be on the Agenda. Also, being who they are, the BOR says there is no way in hell you merge with a conference with their headquarters in Texas 😇

12 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

See where Cal's BOR has called a special closed secession meeting tonight. Have a feeling that debt will be on the Agenda. Also, being who they are, the BOR says there is no way in hell you merge with a conference with their headquarters in Texas 😇

Maybe. Doubtful. Academics, political views, morals, ethics, etc. are no longer cards in the deck. It's money, potential future money, eyeballs, potential future eyeballs. That's it. 

Further, the PAC12 made a colossal mistake not getting into the state of Texas when they had an opportunity a decade ago. I'm not sure the 4 remaining universities can walk away from that opportunity again. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Maybe. Doubtful. Academics, political views, morals, ethics, etc. are no longer cards in the deck. It's money, potential future money, eyeballs, potential future eyeballs. That's it. 

Further, the PAC12 made a colossal mistake not getting into the state of Texas when they had an opportunity a decade ago. I'm not sure the 4 remaining universities can walk away from that opportunity again. 

I still think Stanford goes it as an independent with the hopes of eventually getting into the Big 10

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I still think Stanford goes it as an independent with the hopes of eventually getting into the Big 10

I think they may, too. Not sure what kind of longevity that will create for their usually poor performing revenue sports. Going indy isn't terrible so as long as a plan is in place for winning and dictating eyeballs. But them going now would be sporadic, unplanned, and out of arrogance. Could backfire in an ugly way. 

From a perception standpoint I think the game has become a little more important with everything that’s going on. And it’s probably bigger for Cal than us. I would imagine anyone that cares about Cal football is moaning and rolling their eyes at even being mentioned in the same breath as the AAC. That becomes a little more difficult if they come to Denton and get beat by one of those lowly AAC teams. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

Stanford could foot the bill to go Independent, but they don't carry the same weight as Notre Dame.  ND makes it work because they have the broadcast agreement with NBC and are a national brand, all things Stanford lacks.  Independent is not a long term option for Stanford and their football and men's basketball programs had a combined record of 17-28 last year with not much attendance for their football games.

• Upvote 1