2023 AAC Football Preview: New-Look AAC Not Lacking In Contenders

Jonnyeagle

The American Athletic Conference takes on a new look this season.

Gone are UCF, Cincinnati, and Houston, who left for riches in the Power 5 world to the Big 12. The AAC had added six teams from Conference USA, led by two-time defending champion UTSA. The other newcomers are Florida Atlantic, UAB, North Texas, Rice, and Charlotte. The top two teams in this 14-team conference will compete in the AAC championship.

Tulane is the defending champion, going from 2-10 to 12-2, the biggest improvement in NCAA history. The Green Wave beat UCF 45-28 in the AAC title game, and for good measure, defeated USC 46-45 in the Cotton Bowl.

Despite several key losses to graduation, Tulane won’t relinquish its title easily. There should be plenty of contenders as at least the top four expected teams (UTSA, Tulane, SMU, and Memphis) should be considered title contenders, and don’t sleep on newcomers Florida Atlantic and UAB, along with Navy, either.

HERO Sports’ AAC Predicted Order of Finish

1. SMU
2. Tulane
3. UTSA
4. Memphis
5. Florida Atlantic 
6. Navy
7. UAB
8. North Texas
9. East Carolina
10. Rice
11. Tulsa
12. Temple
13. South Florida
14. Charlotte

read more: https://herosports.com/fbs-2023-aac-football-preview-mnmn/

I suppose on paper we are an unknown, but the strength of schedule definitely favors smut while our road is a bit tougher. Picking us to finish 6-8 wins is not unreasonable, but I think we may surprise a few folks. If we show well against Cal, then look out.

I think the top three in this poll are fairly accurate.  Beyond that, it is a toss-up.  We should have beat Memphis last year, FAU was 5-7,  Navy is coming off a 4-8 season and fired their coach, have no idea about Dilfer led UAB, I expect us to be improved, ECU is usually pretty solid, Rice and Tulsa seem on the way up, Temple is an annual disaster, USF is an enigma and Charlotte has Biff.