Pass Act aims to protect athletes, 'integrity' of college sports

NT80

“The senators also suggest making it against federal law for a college athlete to transfer without sitting out a year until he or she has used at least three years of their college eligibility -- except for extreme circumstances, such as the death of a family member. Coaches and athletic directors have complained during the past year that the combination of NIL money and a relatively new NCAA rule that allows players to transfer without penalty has made it difficult to maintain a steady roster.”

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/38070433

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

To me the only way this idea gets traction is if the Big 12, ACC get behind it. PAC doesn’t seem to care what happens to it. But we are not far off from most of the programs rising up to forge new rules. 

GMG

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Harry said:

I can't help but think this would be huge for us.  So many good players we are sitting near here and they would not be able to bolt like the twins after one good year without sitting out.   Coach Dilfer made some great points about tampering with players on the roster and coaches from other teams encouraging the players to enter the portal.. those types of infractions have to be dealt with in this new legislation as well.

Most players are transferring down, not up.  This protects the Alabamas of the world who can continue to recruit (dirty) and stockpile talent on their bench, not the UNTs.  Transfers level the playing field.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

18 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

Most players are transferring down, not up.  This protects the Alabamas of the world who can continue to recruit (dirty) and stockpile talent on their bench, not the UNTs.  Transfers level the playing field.

Is that why we’ve lost players to SMU? Kidding. Valid point, but I think all teams on every level benefit from this. It would curb the  manic/grass is greener on the other side type of transferring we see.

28 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

No.  Coaches of bigger programs are encouraging good players from smaller programs to go into the portal.  The proposed transfer restrictions are meant to protect schools from being poached by the Alabamas of the world. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, NT80 said:

No.  Coaches of bigger programs are encouraging good players from smaller programs to go into the portal.  The proposed transfer restrictions are meant to protect schools from being poached by the Alabamas of the world. 

That's just not what actual data shows. Yes, there are good players transferring up, but far more #2 guys transferring down for playing time rather than ride the bench at Texas. 

UNT has not learned to exploit it yet, but go pull up teams on a recruiting service page.  

Stopping the transfers protects the big brands who will always be able to put recruit the smaller brands with promises of glory, way better funding, and under the table money and now NIL.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just rolling through the AAC randomly grabbing teams, looking at transfers for 2023, ignoring transfers that haven't landed yet:

USF: 18 in (12 from P5) 16 out (8 P5)

ECU: 11 in (6 P5) 9 out (3 P5)

Memphis: 19 in (14 P5) 12 out (3 P5)

Tulsa: 8 in (7 P5) 5 out (4 P5)

SMU: 26 in (20 P5) 19 out (2 P5)

Temple: 8 in (5 P5) 4 out (1 P5)

UTSA: 6 in (3 P5) 3 out (1 P5)

That's over 40 P5 talent players coming in than going out.  I know UNT is negative on P5 talent this year in the portal, but that's a (fixable) UNT problem, not a portal problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

That's just not what actual data shows. Yes, there are good players transferring up, but far more #2 guys transferring down for playing time rather than ride the bench at Texas. 

UNT has not learned to exploit it yet, but go pull up teams on a recruiting service page.  

Stopping the transfers protects the big brands who will always be able to put recruit the smaller brands with promises of glory, way better funding, and under the table money and now NIL.

I agree the bench players need a way out.   How can you let them go into the portal but protect your starters from being recruited to do the same?

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I agree the bench players need a way out.   How can you let them go into the portal but protect your starters from being recruited to do the same?

You have to have a good staff and program. Its playing out all over the the G5, as I showed above. You're going to lose some occasionally who are, or have the hubris to think they are, able to move to LSU and dominate. But on the whole, you are going to benefit, like most G5s have been. 

Again, just the schools I happened to select - over 40 P5 level players that wouldn't be in the conference anywhere without transfers. How does that hurt parity?

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Harry said:

those types of infractions have to be dealt with in this new legislation as well.

I'd like to see the set minimum punishments raised. I don't think it'd be wrong to have severe punishments such as heavy fines (6 to 7 figures) for the staff involved, long suspensions (more than a year), and even permanent banishment. The key is, all of this has to be written on paper so we don't get big programs receiving hand slaps for jeopardizing the integrity of college football.

When I see that former Tennessee coach Pruitt will have to serve a 1 year suspension if he's hired within the 6 year show cause as a result of over 200 violations, it's easy to see why coaches and other staff members are tempted to cheat. They can bend the rules, make millions, then get suspended for a few games or a year and come back to do it over again. The integrity of the game is worth more than that. Punishing the school and fans by vacating wins is useless. Hit the violators where it hurts: their wallets and future earnings potential.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NT80 said:

I will believe they are serious and concerned with the integrity of college sports when they:

• Go after coaches (college and HS) who are involved with tampering.
  • After two years in college - No transfer without sitting out if the "Student" athlete is not progressing toward a degree
  • Upvote 1

You’ll have to excuse me, but Congress making federal laws around “college athletes” transferring is incredibly insane.    Potentially sending a student athlete to jail over transferring schools?!  You have got to be kidding me!  Perhaps we should take a step back and find a way to take to money out of the game.  That’s what this is all about, really.  Money.  Protecting the big rich schools who want to control their ability to make money off of these kids.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1