North Texas Mean Green College Football Preview 2023: Top Players, Keys, What Will Happen

Jonnyeagle

Keep the other team from scoring a gajillion points. North Texas can score. The offense might take a wee step back, but it’ll still be great. Now the defense has to avoid the games when it doesn’t have anything working.

The Mean Green went 7-0 when keeping teams to 28 points or fewer, and 0-7 when it allowed more. Even with the D allowed just over 30 the games were close, but all five games when allowing 41 or more were double-digit defeats. BTW, North Texas was 6-1 in 2021 when allowing 24 points or fewer, and 0-6 when giving up more.

North Texas Mean Green Top Transfer, Biggest Loss

QB Chandler Rogers in from ULM, LB Larry Nixon gone to Auburn. The Mean Green didn’t land a ton of sure-thing starters from the transfer portal, but it got a veteran quarterback in Rogers. In a tough situation at ULM he did what he could hitting 66% of his passes for just over 3,700 yards with 24 touchdowns and ten picks, and he can run.

There were a slew of big losses, but for a defense that needs as many playmakers as possible, not having Nixon hurts. He left for Auburn after making 245 tackles with 5.5 sacks and 11.5 tackles for loss in his four seasons.

Read more: https://collegefootballnews.com/.amp/cfn/north-texas-mean-green-college-football-preview-2023-top-players-keys-what-will-happen

• Upvote 1

I miss being a dominant defense like the early 00's.  I know Booger was a generational talent and anchored that line, but I loved being known as a team that, win or lose, the opponent was in for an ass whipping.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I miss being a dominant defense like the early 00's.  I know Booger was a generational talent and anchored that line, but I loved being known as a team that, win or lose, the opponent was in for an ass whipping.

I don't know how much more offensive variation we will see.  Run and Shoot.  Triple Options.  Pistol vs shotgun.  Air Raid.  Spread. zone reads.

I think in our lifetimes (5-10 years away?) we will see a swing back to a defensive game.  Seems like this stuff cycles back and forth, and we are due for a new evolution/emergence on the defensive side of the ball.

• Upvote 2