Deion Sanders describes 'mess' he inherited at Colorado and why he had to 'get rid' of it

Deion Sanders described the team he inherited at Colorado as a "mess" that was rife with "junk" and "foolishness," prompting him to "get rid" of it to the point where only he now only has about 10 scholarship players returning from last year’s team out of a roster of 85.

Sanders, who was hired as Colorado’s football coach in December, made those comments in an interview published online Monday with Fox Sports analyst Joel Klatt, a former Colorado quarterback. "Coach Prime" also told Klatt that he has assembled so much talent to replace those players that he expects his new team to be able to compete with TCU in the season opener Sept. 2 despite being a three-touchdown underdog at the home of last season’s No. 2 team.

"I want it now, and I want it all," Sanders said.

Sanders has brought in 46 transfers from other four-year schools to build his roster, including 10 from Jackson State, where Sanders coached since 2020. Another 17 recruits are coming from high school, along with four from junior colleges. He said he has held back a handful of scholarships to award to non-scholarship players or other players who earn them to fill out his 85-scholarship limit.

read more: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2023/06/12/deion-sanders-colorado-roster-joel-klatt-interview/70314811007/

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

Deion is an egotist; that's nothing new.  But he's already been able to get away with things for which other coaches would have been tarred and feathered and run out of college football forever.  And he's already brought excitement and ticket sales.  And he's brought recruits that top schools wanted.

The question now is, Can he deliver on the hype?  He's got the Johnnys and Joes, but can he (or at least his staff) bring the X's and O's to make them successful?  More people will be watching Colorado the next couple years than have watched Colorado the past couple decades to find out.

• Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, DentonStang said:

It's so fortunate he can use NIL and free transfer to help the people of Colorado. NIL is salvation

NIL steals from the poor and gives to the Col. Tom Parkers of the world (circus promoter and Elvis' manager / con man for those that don't know).

• Upvote 7

Don’t understand the Deion Sanders hate. Hell, I suggested we hire him before he went to Jackson State. Of course it’s about Deion Sanders. He will not run away from those thoughts. He is as genuine as they come.

Who cares as long as he produces? Every other coach in America uses NIL to their advantage; if they can. Watch his interviews and he consistently advocates against money to kids that has not done anything. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 1

20 minutes ago, Cooley said:

Don’t understand the Deion Sanders hate. Hell, I suggested we hire him before he went to Jackson State. Of course it’s about Deion Sanders. He will not run away from those thoughts. He is as genuine as they come.

Who cares as long as he produces? Every other coach in America uses NIL to their advantage; if they can. Watch his interviews and he consistently advocates against money to kids that has not done anything. 

I agree that he has been successful but I do feel bad for the kids and the families left in his wake who are now without a college home.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Cooley said:

My problem with Deion is the way he took a lifeline that was provided to help teams that lost players to fill the slots and openly pished players out. If you look at the P5 bylaws, it is for their entire term once a player signs. Yes, players are pushed out, but to openly do it and face no pushback is another example that the NCAA, and more importantly, the College Presidents, are only interested in money and do not give a damn about these kids. And if you believe he has not tampered, then noting anyone says will matter. The crap that is enforced (JH buying a hamburger) and the decision not to speak out on tampering is pathetic.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

My problem with Deion is the way he took a lifeline that was provided to help teams that lost players to fill the slots and openly pished players out. If you look at the P5 bylaws, it is for their entire term once a player signs. Yes, players are pushed out, but to openly do it and face no pushback is another example that the NCAA, and more importantly, the College Presidents, are only interested in money and do not give a damn about these kids. And if you believe he has not tampered, then noting anyone says will matter. The crap that is enforced (JH buying a hamburger) and the decision not to speak out on tampering is pathetic.

Strange take. These are P5 scholarship players. They can find a scholarship elsewhere. Nobody is sending them to work roofing.

They can continue in school and to play football at a level better fitting their talent. 

Edited by DentonStang
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2