Wednesday at Noon, Hub Club: Joint Press Conferences and NIT Celebration

NT80

I agree with @TheReal_jayDon this one. There will be a proper time to celebrate again but right now would be poor timing. Imagine a congratulations with just Hodge and Stone and maybe one or two more players down at midcourt. No TP, no Kai, not GMac, just a shell of the team that was. The optics would be bad. Celebrate it properly next fall and build excitement for the 23-24 season. Above all else we need Hodge to fill a staff that has been gutted.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

0. I hear what you are saying. But how many coaches are left to show up? How many players are left to show up? How many actual fans are showing up? It would be a great argument if the Pit had been packed most of the year. But that isn't the case. I'm not discrediting the fans that actually showed up. But the quanity wasnt there. How many teams have thrown a parade for NIT winners? WSU is the only one i have found. WSU averaged 7100+ in attendance. North texas averaged 3600. I honestly think it is more important to the future of North Texas basketball to allow coaches to continue to build than host a parade/celebrations that maybe 1000 peoples show up with 1 staff member and maybe 8 members of the team..

Do you honestly think Tylor Perry (if he leaves), Jayden Martinez, Ty Eady, Kai Huntsberry (if his eligibility is up), ...not sure who else you're referring to..., would say "No thanks, I'm not interested in a parade for my team's accomplishment.  I'm too busy packing up my apartment."?    Get outta here!

And I don't think anyone should ask Coach Hodge to plan out the whole thing.  Just show up for a few hours and bask in the accomplishment.  I highly doubt he'd fall behind in assembling a staff or recruiting for that.

There's a lot of minimizing of the NIT win around here, and that's too bad.   No wonder we might think no one would show up.

Also, you're kinda burying a lead here..., it sounds like you're breaking news that only Coach Hodge will remain.   Is that true?

EDIT:
Heck, if you're worried there won't be many people, just make a parade up Highland, starting at Ave C, to Ave A, then back down Maple.   Surely there are enough students and fans that would line those streets.   Go really slow to make it seem like it's taking a long time!  Give the players baskets of mini foam Mean Green Basketballs to throw out to the fans.  You know half the fans who were lined up on Highland would walk across and line Maple too!  
Then, congregate on a big stage in the greenspace in front of Clark Hall for a quick little shout out to the fans, and promise "This is just the beginning!!".   Bask in all of the cheers from all of those fans for a little while.   Give guys like Rubin and Aaron Scott some mic time to.   It's all so easy if anyone would put 1/2 an ounce of thought into it.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

0. I hear what you are saying. But how many coaches are left to show up? How many players are left to show up? How many actual fans are showing up? It would be a great argument if the Pit had been packed most of the year. But that isn't the case. I'm not discrediting the fans that actually showed up. But the quanity wasnt there. How many teams have thrown a parade for NIT winners? WSU is the only one i have found. WSU averaged 7100+ in attendance. North texas averaged 3600. I honestly think it is more important to the future of North Texas basketball to allow coaches to continue to build than host a parade/celebrations that maybe 1000 peoples show up with 1 staff member and maybe 8 members of the team..

Why no players, isn't school still in session?    Why no staff or assistants?   Did GM take them ALL?   I thought some were staying on with Ross..   Do you work for the AD to know all this inside info?   

This should have been an evening event so working fans and students (in classes) could attend!   

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Two things.

1) Nobody will take this program seriously until this program takes itself seriously.  Winning the NIT may not be winning the NCAA Tournament (or even the same accomplishment that it once was) but it is damn sure the pinnacle of where this program has been.  If we celebrate it on a Wednesday in the middle of a work day, it communicates clearly that it is no big deal.  It certainly doesn’t say “this is worth taking note of.”

2) Which one is it?  Are we a program that needs to grow the fanbase and will use PERFECT opportunities like the celebration of a NIT title to “shake hands” and do so…or are we taking the tried and true North Texas approach?  The sit back and wait for people to come to us strategy has never worked since the days of “if you’re not a member of the Mean Green club, it’s because I haven’t called you or you haven’t called me”

The North Texas athletic department knows it is a bid deal. But it is not ideal with everything else going on with the program. Are they satisfied with a NIT title... no. They are trying to get Coach Hodge the best opportunity to get on the road. I think him getting on the road and not only recruiting our own players and building staff and recruiting other portal players in more benificial in the long run... than having a 3 hours hand shaking cermony during the middle of a school day.. with is the very timing we are already complaining about. This team will be recognized and celebrated. once transfer portal season and staff building is complete. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, SUMG said:

You say that most the players are gone. What school ends in early April now? And that the only coach who is still here....is Hodge. So who exactly will be there for the "celebration" at one on Wednesday? And btw....you're getting all your BS from the Ath. Dept. The same Ath. Dept. that did so little to promote things.....that we averaged 3700 fans this year....for a 31 win team. So by all means....go along with everything the Ath. Dept. tells you. 

Well, who would know which coaches and athletes are available better than the athletic department that is in charge of athletes and coaches?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Do you honestly think Tylor Perry (if he leaves), Jayden Martinez, Ty Eady, Kai Huntsberry (if his eligibility is up), ...not sure who else you're referring to..., would say "No thanks, I'm not interested in a parade for my team's accomplishment.  I'm too busy packing up my apartment."?    Get outta here!

How do we know they haven’t already been asked and said that?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

The North Texas athletic department knows it is a bid deal. But it is not ideal with everything else going on with the program. Are they satisfied with a NIT title... no. They are trying to get Coach Hodge the best opportunity to get on the road. I think him getting on the road and not only recruiting our own players and building staff and recruiting other portal players in more benificial in the long run... than having a 3 hours hand shaking cermony during the middle of a school day.. with is the very timing we are already complaining about. This team will be recognized and celebrated. once transfer portal season and staff building is complete. 

Here's a great way to recruit our own players:
Let's shoehorn a mini-celebration/get-together for the biggest basketball achievement of your life so far into the Coaches' introductory presser!   That should be good enough.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Why no players, isn't school still in session?    Why no staff or assistants?   Did GM take them ALL? MOST WONT RETURN IF ANY. LUBBUCK BOUND  

This should have been an evening event so working fans and students (in classes) could attend!  MOST GAMES WERE IN THE EVENING. DIDN'T HELP ATTENDANCE 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Pissed 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Here's a great way to recruit our own players:
Let's shoehorn a mini-celebration/get-together for the biggest basketball achievement of your life so far into the Coaches' introductory presser!   That should be good enough.

Maybe the the players were asked....

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

How do we know they haven’t already been asked and said that?

First, aren't these dudes in grad school?   Surely they're still in classes.  Maybe they're in online programs, I dunno.
You know, I don't really know enough about Eady & Martinez, or even Huntsberry to say they haven't already gone home (especially Eady, who is from Massachusetts), but I'm pretty sure Perry is not going to say no to the Denton Community/fans.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

First, aren't these dudes in grad school?   Surely they're still in classes.  Maybe they're in online programs, I dunno.
You know, I don't really know enough about Eady & Martinez, or even Huntsberry to say they haven't already gone home (especially Eady, who is from Massachusetts), but I'm pretty sure Perry is not going to say no to the Denton Community/fans.

They are likely still taking classes to maintain eligibility but TP is headed to Lubbock. They wanted a ring, they got a ring and national exposure. Now they are looking for their next move. The portal has essentially killed any allegiances to universities for many players unless somehow they end up at their dream school. The days of the Josh White’s are behind us. 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 2

8 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

They are likely still taking classes to maintain eligibility but TP is headed to Lubbock. They wanted a ring, they got a ring and national exposure. Now they are looking for their next move. The portal has essentially killed any allegiances to universities for many players unless somehow they end up at their dream school. The days of the Josh White’s are behind us. 

Are you also breaking news here?   

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Wow, after reading this thread I have to wonder why we don't just shut this whole program down now.

I guess if we ever win the NCAA tournament then maybe we could expect an upgrade to a Friday afternoon celebration, but as seems to be apparent, none of the players/coaches will be there since they'll all likely be taking direct flights from the Final 4 to wherever their next team is located.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Pissed 1

This isn't a parade worthy event.  It's not.  A while back someone posted a hypothetical topic on which would be better, a NIT Championship or a Sweet 16 run and I'm pretty sure avsweet 16 run was the clear favorite. Would we also have a parade for that?  Also, no one would show up which would be cringe worthy and embarrassing.  Now, if you wanted to cut the arena in half and have the team address only that side like it looked like Witchita St did, then maybe it wouldn't look so bad and I'd be on board. But what you don't want as an exclamation mark on a successful season is another poorly attended event reminding the players that they have a relatively small level of fan support. 

My honest opinion is they kicked the tires on a bigger event and something swayed them from doing it.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

If there’s no players left to celebrate now,…there won’t be any later.  It needs to be done now.  We beat Ok State in Stillwater 13 days ago.  How were there no preliminary plans to do SOMETHING for this team should the inevitable occur two weeks later?   Still, I’m having a hard time believing they all packed up their apartments and skipped town the past 48 hours, especially when two of them were at one of the softball games this weekend.

Since Hodge is having to assemble a staff then I hope he’s been in Houston where every person with a pulse that’s interested in a college basketball job has been the past 3 to 4 days or more.  But we know how these things are done.  He’ll have known most of the guys he’s bringing in and won’t need in person conversation to bring them in.  But if he can be here at 12 noon he can be here at a later time on a day where the most fans can attend.  

Either way It’s all excuses to me and like most of you I can sit here and counter every one of them because we’ve all been around long enough to know how things are done here.  

Regardless the excuse,…if the logistics are soooooooo difficult to work out giving what this accomplishment deserves by getting coaches, players and the most fans under roof at the same time then at least don’t send out a mailer to fans inviting them to “CELEBRATE” a press conference.  

C4A77BA1-1FE5-41EB-AF1C-C68E72E004E0.png.7be1d541195e00242a3278cd073de702.png

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

This isn't a parade worthy event.  It's not.  A while back someone posted a hypothetical topic on which would be better, a NIT Championship or a Sweet 16 run and I'm pretty sure avsweet 16 run was the clear favorite. Would we also have a parade for that?  Also, no one would show up which would be cringe worthy and embarrassing.  Now, if you wanted to cut the arena in half and have the team address only that side like it looked like Witchita St did, then maybe it wouldn't look so bad and I'd be on board. But what you don't want as an exclamation mark on a successful season is another poorly attended event reminding the players that they have a relatively small level of fan support. 

My honest opinion is they kicked the tires on a bigger event and something swayed them from doing it.

Of course you cut the arena in half. Which is exactly what they did....when we had an event AT NIGHT, IN THE SUPER PIT.......celebrating the NCAA Tourney win over Purdue. It was in March/April 2021. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

I live out of state, so I'm not attending any sort of celebration.  That said, this was a big deal for our athletic department and something more than a meet and greet attaboy after a press conference should have been done.  

It is what it is though.  Do we still have basketball banquets where we honor the team?  I know we used to.  If nothing else, do something bigger there.

4 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

I agree that they should have done it on a Saturday but they typically don’t like to plan things on Saturday as it can trigger overtime which typically is not included in the budget. 

Interestingly enough,

The NIT winnings (I know it’s not as much as NCAA shares) we’re also not in the budget!   We should be able to cover it with extra leftover.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

I agree that they should have done it on a Saturday but they typically don’t like to plan things on Saturday as it can trigger overtime which typically is not included in the budget

That’s just a pitiful excuse!   How often do we win an NIT?   About once every 133 years.  

• Upvote 2