Light The Tower Master Plan Update

MeanGreen22

17 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I have no doubt the new weight room, locker room, offices, etc. will look great once the expansion is done. But since the expansion is pushing the building much closer to the field, why not go the extra mile and build a legit endzone club level like La Tech or App State? Whatever you call the "seating" in the latest rendering is painfully underwhelming. 

image.png.6f08ddea738b577ac5323c73b265bcaa.png

Agreed. This cost App State $50m, but I believe it included demolishing an old building, removing of the track, and new turf. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, ADLER said:

EyeSore at the EndZoneScreenshot2023-02-25at11_13_15AM.png.e54a15699332d26ee346160986138f35.png

More concerning is the addition of multiple storage units where the current tailgating parking lot/Victory Hall are now located.  I would have thought Victory Hall would have stood the test of time.

6 hours ago, ADLER said:

So true. Those look almost as ugly and out of place as the proposed academic center.

Vanderbilt's rendering also looks extremely unsafe with no railings to be found.

Also, doesn’t appear to have any seats in the stands on the left. One way to save money. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Confused 1

On 1/21/2023 at 6:43 PM, NorthTexan95 said:

The change I noticed is the softball field isn't moving, but they are building around it.  I hate that it faces the evening sun. 

As I understand it, a large row of trees will be planted on the west side to shield from the evening sun.  Edit: That's already done.

I'd wager that Victory Hall will stand the test of time.  I'm hoping that was just filler by the artist.  I'm thinking that they may add on to Victory Hall when all of the new construction on this side of the Interstate is completed.  I don't believe that it's large enough to house all of the athletes.  OR they might build a women's athlete dorm nearby.

8 hours ago, ADLER said:

So true. Those look almost as ugly and out of place as the proposed academic center.

A UTSA Architecture Graduate provided the preliminary sketches. It is done in the only design genre they teach there, which is known as the "Modern Doublewide Look". It is very popular with their graduates.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I'd wager that Victory Hall will stand the test of time.  I'm hoping that was just filler by the artist.  I'm thinking that they may add on to Victory Hall when all of the new construction on this side of the Interstate is completed.  I don't believe that it's large enough to house all of the athletes.  OR they might build a women's athlete dorm nearby.

You can not build any dorms that are only reserved for athletes, even though athletes would make up vast majority of the residents

On 1/22/2023 at 4:15 PM, Side.Show.Joe said:

The Alamodome looked like 💩 when they built it 30 years ago, and it hasn't gotten any better looking over the years. 

Admittedly, it is ugly on the outside but I enjoy watching a game there.  They have really improved the lighting; the seats are chair backs and the field looks good.  My worst criticism is the parking around there sucks.  But they could improve the four corner columns and the outside ironwork.  The other thing that appeals to me is that I don't have to worry about being wet or cold.