Visitors for the coming week??

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Where are we in the recruiting cycle? What can we expect now as we approach NSD?

We have a lot to do in the month of January.  NSD is February 1.  We have at least nine more scholarships (likely more) to give this month.  Many of the new staff are good to excellent recruiters so I'd imagine that we won't have a problem in getting the number of scholarships filled.  A problem could be that I don't know how well our new Chief of Staff is familiar with Texas recruits.  I believe that they will have to follow Gilbert and Owens lead this month.  The good news is that they are premier recruiters in the state of Texas and that seems to be our primary goal.

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Where are we in the recruiting cycle? What can we expect now as we approach NSD?

It looks like classes start on the 17th, so we could have official visits on the 10th? Not sure if it's the same for players in the Portal (The portal opened Dec. 5, and closes on Jan. 18, 2023. There is also a 15-day spring period from May 1-15.)

Dead period: During the dead period, coaches may not have any in-person contact with recruits and/or their parents. They are not allowed to talk to recruits at their college campus, the athlete’s school, an athletic camp or even the grocery store.

Division 1 FBS

• Aug. 1–31, 2022
    • Except for: the 48 hours prior to a home game during August and September 1–2 through the 48 hours after the game. This is a quiet period.
  • Dec. 19, 2022 – Jan. 12, 2023
    • Except for: the seven days before the first day of classes. This is a quiet period for student-athletes enrolling midyear.
  • Jan. 30 – Feb. 28, 2023
  • Jun. 27 – Jul. 24, 2023
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

We have a lot to do in the month of January.  NSD is February 1.  We have at least nine more scholarships (likely more) to give this month.  Many of the new staff are good to excellent recruiters so I'd imagine that we won't have a problem in getting the number of scholarships filled.  A problem could be that I don't know how well our new Chief of Staff is familiar with Texas recruits.  I believe that they will have to follow Gilbert and Owens lead this month.  The good news is that they are premier recruiters in the state of Texas and that seems to be our primary goal.

I’m not sure the Chief of Staff has much to do with recruiting other than setting up things.   Identifying talent  falls at the feet of the coaches.   

• Upvote 2

On 1/1/2023 at 2:06 PM, GrayEagle said:

We have at least nine more scholarships (likely more) to give this month.

There is probably a long back-story here, but why does it seem that every year we are limited either in the number of scholarship or number of recruits we can sign?  At the same time, other schools don't seem to have such a limit.  We had a big transfer class in 2021 and overall big class that year, but that's it.  Alabama OTOH has big classes every year.  What did we do that seems to have our hands tied or conversely what do others do that avoids the same limitations?  Picking out some of the notable classes....

Alabama 25 commits + 2 transfers (27)

Georgia 24 commits + 2 transfers (26)

Texas 26 commits + 2 transfers (28)

Texas A&M 27 commits (27)

North Texas 22 commits + 3 transfers (25)

Georgia 25 commits + 4 transfers (29)

North Texas 23 commits + 3 transfers (26)

Alabama 27 commits + 4 transfers (31)

Notre Dame 27 commits + 2 transfers (29)

Georgia 20 commits + 3 transfers (23)

North Texas 20 commits + 10 transfers (30)

Texas A&M 30 commits + 2 transfers (32)

Alabama 26 commits + 5 transfers (31)

Georgia 30 commits + 1 transfer (31)

Texas 28 commits + 7 transfers (35)

North Texas 12 commits + 9 transfers (21)

2023 (so far)

Alabama 28 commits + 1 transfer (29)

Georgia 26 commits + 2 transfers (28)

Texas 23 commits + 2 transfers (25)

North Texas 2 commits (2)

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, keith said:

There is probably a long back-story here, but why does it seem that every year we are limited either in the number of scholarship or number of recruits we can sign?  At the same time, other schools don't seem to have such a limit.  We had a big transfer class in 2021 and overall big class that year, but that's it.  Alabama OTOH has big classes every year.  What did we do that seems to have our hands tied or conversely what do others do that avoids the same limitations?  Picking out some of the notable classes....

Georgia 24 commits + 2 transfers (26)

Texas 26 commits + 2 transfers (28)

Texas A&M 27 commits (27)

North Texas 22 commits + 3 transfers (25)

Georgia 25 commits + 4 transfers (29)

North Texas 23 commits + 3 transfers (26)

Alabama 27 commits + 4 transfers (31)

Notre Dame 27 commits + 2 transfers (29)

Georgia 20 commits + 3 transfers (23)

North Texas 20 commits + 10 transfers (30)

Texas A&M 30 commits + 2 transfers (32)

Alabama 26 commits + 5 transfers (31)

Georgia 30 commits + 1 transfer (31)

Texas 28 commits + 7 transfers (35)

North Texas 12 commits + 9 transfers (21)

2023 (so far)

Alabama 28 commits + 1 transfer (29)

Georgia 26 commits + 2 transfers (28)

Texas 23 commits + 2 transfers (25)

North Texas 2 commits (2)

I believe in some of the cases of these P5 schools they have quite a few players who leave early every year for the NFL as well as more players who probably transfer out when their school signs a highly rated class if they don't feel they will get playing time.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I believe in some of the cases of these P5 schools they have quite a few players who leave early every year for the NFL as well as more players who probably transfer out when their school signs a highly rated class if they don't feel they will get playing time.

I was wondering the same thing and then looked at our classes over the same years and it's not like every player we brought in is still around.  Many have transferred out, entered the portal never to return or stopped playing football...

22 minutes ago, keith said:

I was wondering the same thing and then looked at our classes over the same years and it's not like every player we brought in is still around.  Many have transferred out, entered the portal never to return or stopped playing football...

Good points. Have a feeling we will see several players transfer out in the next window.