It's all business

El Paso Eagle

Message from one of the kids now being told by Colorado they will not honor their offer. I understand that is their choice, but a lot of these kids stopped talking to other schools when they committed. How many of those potential slots at other schools they might have liked are now gone? Not going to lie, don't like it when one of our undergrads transfers, but as Deion said, it looks like the new moto is "I'm gonna get mine!"
D1 College Football is going to get worse before its gets better.

image.png.917a799bfb985280726615762a12d378.png

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

Kids might lose their scholarships, coaches might lose players to the portal.

As they say... all fair

But, maybe it should not be frowned on when a player commits and then keeps making himself open to other visits. FBS football is a giant business and things will change, but they have done a shitty (and that's saying it nicely) job of putting controls in place on everyone. I think if you have a player voluntarily transfer out you should be able to replace them, but if they are forced out you should not be able to replace them. Of course having a governing body to actually enforce rules would be a whole different animal. 

• Upvote 1

Scholarship offers are just that until signing day. Either party can walk away from it until the ink is on the paper on signing day. I don’t really think that’s bad. Players change verbal commitments all the time. Coach’s should be able to also. I think this type of thing happens all the time. I would hate for UNT’s new coach to be told he has to honor the current staff’s offers if he thinks a different player fits his system better or is just a better player.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

Its supposed to be about education first...

That ship has long sailed for many schools. You have schools adjusting their admittance requirements for players to make sure they get the athletes they need. You hear story after story of players (not grad transfers) playing for 3 or 4 schools during a 4-5 year period - are they even graduating (most schools require a minimum number of hours to graduate with a degree from there).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

As they say... all fair

I think if you have a player voluntarily transfer out you should be able to replace them, but if they are forced out you should not be able to replace them. Of course having a governing body to actually enforce rules would be a whole different animal. 

Maybe some day we will get there.  I cannot imagine all the documents involved.  You'd have to setup a system of documentation/signatures so that the (potential) governing body knows what was agreed upon transfer.  Otherwise, what coach in that environment would bother admitting they pushed someone out?  What if players never admit they volunteered to leave?

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Maybe some day we will get there.  I cannot imagine all the documents involved.  You'd have to setup a system of documentation/signatures so that the (potential) governing body knows what was agreed upon transfer.  Otherwise, what coach in that environment would bother admitting they pushed someone out?  What if players never admit they volunteered to leave?

Good points. Sadly, this cluster**** is probably beyond repair in its current state. Maybe with the top "X number" of schools form a new division/league that one and the ones below can attempt to get it right

If you have not watched Last Chance U on Netflix it is an eye opener on what goes on in college sports.  You get see Freeze and Kiffin stop by for a look.  I saw one guy who had UNT shirt and hate on but don't recall his name or position he played.  Warning if the F bomb bothers don't watch because that all the coaches know how say.  

3 hours ago, jredallas said:

No promissory estoppel argument to be made?

Definitely not. No acceptance of the offer, so can't say he relied upon it. Also, let's say they revoked after he verbally committed: likely the only allowed methods of acceptance is written, so he loses on that try as well.