Has the transfer portal changed the need for contract extensions?

golfingomez

This is something i was thinking about last night... you know... deep thoughts...

The argument has always been that a coach "can't" be on a one year contract since he won't be able to recruit... I doubt this logic in the first place, but with the rise of the transfer portal and the observed willingness of players to transfer, it seems like there would be less of a need for coaches "especially in CUSA" to have a contract beyond the next year...

Now i'm obviously not encouraging universities to sign one year contracts, but (assuming he doesn't get fired this year) I think we are in a fine position to let Littrell just play out his contract next year and see what happens.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 2

Coach Andy Mac
This post was recognized by Coach Andy Mac!

"Must be a coach. He gets it."

UNT86 was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 25 points.

Any time a coach is on the last year of his contract, it is used heavily against the school in recruiting.  I cannot thing the portal would change that.  Players want to think they will get to play immediately and over multiple years.  It would hurt us a lot more than whatever the payout/buyout is for any coach you might want to let go early to have him on the last year of his contract.

I was having deep thoughts during our game last week too watching special teams and the number of guys that only play there.  IF it were my team now, I would make sure every player burns a year of eligibility.  No more redshirts.   If they transfer, they do it with one less year.  If they are planning on transferring and keeping their year, they have to let me know before I play them in a 5th game.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

Any time a coach is on the last year of his contract, it is used heavily against the school in recruiting.  I cannot thing the portal would change that.  Players want to think they will get to play immediately and over multiple years.  It would hurt us a lot more than whatever the payout/buyout is for any coach you might want to let go early to have him on the last year of his contract.

I was having deep thoughts during our game last week too watching special teams and the number of guys that only play there.  IF it were my team now, I would make sure every player burns a year of eligibility.  No more redshirts.   If they transfer, they do it with one less year.  If they are planning on transferring and keeping their year, they have to let me know before I play them in a 5th game.

Is this real at a school like North Texas? if so, what are some examples where this has hurt the team with a coach "playing out" his last year?

I just wonder if this is a negotiating tool and nothing else

• Upvote 1

It is real.  I have heard it used in conversations with high school recruits.  It goes something like "You know the coach there is on the last year of his contract?  The school is not happy with him and is sending a message.  If you go there, you are probably going to have a coaching change in the first two years.  You have to ask yourself how many coaches and systems to you want to play in?  It may be a rough season there.  Even if it is good, you will probably have a change after that year.  Then you are looking at the transfer portal and trying to get somewhere that you have a better chance to play and win championships.  I'm not telling you not to go there.  I have friends on the staff there.  But, we have it going here at Whatever University.  You can come here and avoid all that."

It will kill us recruiting out of the portal, JUCO, or high school.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

It is real.  I have heard it used in conversations with high school recruits.  It goes something like "You know the coach there is on the last year of his contract?  The school is not happy with him and is sending a message.  If you go there, you are probably going to have a coaching change in the first two years.  You have to ask yourself how many coaches and systems to you want to play in?  It may be a rough season there.  Even if it is good, you will probably have a change after that year.  Then you are looking at the transfer portal and trying to get somewhere that you have a better chance to play and win championships.  I'm not telling you not to go there.  I have friends on the staff there.  But, we have it going here at Whatever University.  You can come here and avoid all that."

It will kill us recruiting out of the portal, JUCO, or high school.

right, i understand the conversation, my question is, when was the last time this hurt us? Danny Mac, Dodge and Dickey were all fired with at least a year left on their contracts... 

the following year, the new coaches all compiled losing records with the recruiting classes intact. Dodge never recovered, Mac was a slow build and Seth had arguably his best year in year#2 (with arguably the worst recruiting from the previous head coach). I guess my question is, if we fire Seth on Jan. 1, 2023 is that any worse than firing him Nov. 1 2023? The transfer portal is going to get it's 10% no matter what. 

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 2