Mike Bloesch Deserves More Credit

BillySee58

28 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Why would his QBR being higher than those QBs invalidate the statistic? Aune has a higher passer rating than all of them too. They are unbiased quantifications strictly based off of on-field results. It’s not swayed by the QB’s name recognition and prior season accomplishments. If it were, that would invalidate the numbers. 

It’s unbiased and consistent math, not objective analysis. Again, it’s a quantification of actual on-field results. Aune is 48th in passer rating in the country and was not even top 100 last year. The point here isn’t about other QBs. It’s about the undeniable improvement of results from last year from the same QB.

And if you’re saying “can we really trust this statistic if it has him ahead of these other QBs?” The question we probably should be asking is “how are we getting Austin Aune to produce at a higher rate of effectiveness than those QBs?”

To answer your question, I would not start Aune over any of those QBs, and I also understand that numbers are what they are, and Aune’s numbers being better speaks to the job Bloesch is doing as both a QB coach and OC.

Or that our WR are healthier 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

7 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I mean goodnpost but what’s he done really?  I mean most of us look at conference championships and whatnot when we are evaluating coaches.

Bar is extremely low here.  That is why this was posted in the first place.   Remember when the tag line on this page was "Seth is Gonna Let in Fly"?   But now we are going to talk about how the current OC should get "more credit"?   The passing game isn't even complimentary to the very strong running game.  Finding creative ways to take the QB dropping back and passing is good.  But they should not have to game plan like that with QB room without a freshman in it.   And you aren't going to beat teams with by good defenses that way.  Maybe UTSA and WKU can be dominated running the ball but I doubt it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 1

I give him credit for the line and the running play (along with Cobbs on running). That hasn't been the issue I have. Play calling for the first part of this season and all last season was garbage. It's gotten better in the past few weeks. The second issue I have, which may not be a Bloesch call is the lack of a QB coach and hiring another Oline coach. Hell, we even have a TE coach but we don't have a QB coach and no Shanbour does not count.

This offense was supposed to thrive on tee it high and let it fly but the only success we've had is on the ground in the past few years for the most part. Better off switching to a pro style offense at this point with the oline strength and RB depth.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

No, the problem is that we don't score enough to beat good teams. Maybe you like losing almost every time we play a team with a winning record or having a stadium 60% empty?

El Paso Eagle, I think we are getting in the way of a desperate love fest for the most delusional.   We are supposed to think an alltime rushing performance is something we can rely on to win game against good teams and win against good teams in spite of an anemic passing game.   We are seriously debating the value of an OC of a team I have to pray there isn't a disaster on 3rd & 6 yards or longer.  🤦🏾‍♂️.   He is doing an adequate job coaching around our deficiencies but our deficiencies aren't cause injuries this year.  I feel like I am conversing with blood relatives of coaching staff on this board.  🤣.   They could have very easily lost that game if they only rushed for 300 yards.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

As stated several times here Get A QB Coach on board. It’s a no brainer - if we could only get Harrell back but that’s a pipe dream I know!  Just get a experienced guy in a G5 or even a strong Juco program that has some skins on the wall i.e. some good qb history stories - they are out there. 

• Upvote 1