DRC prediction: UNT will get off the mat after tough loss to SMU, roll past Texas Southern

Brett Vito

22 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Getting the start is irrelevant. Aune took over against UAB with 7 minutes left in the first quarter and finished out the first half. Ruder played the second half but Aune had more passing attempts (21 attempts vs 13, probably because Ruder couldn’t sustain a drive.). In Game 4 against LA Tech, Ruder threw 10 passes despite being named the starter to Aune's 27. In that LaTech game, Aune took over the 4th or 5th drive (I believe early 2nd quarter) and finished out the game. I don't care who's officially listed as the starter, Ruder was not longer *the guy* starting with UAB, confirmed during LaTech, and official against Missouri.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

This is probably my bias showing but yeah, I think Aune should only get that much playing time against Texas Southern. To me, it's not about what he needs because I think this is just who he is at this point. He just turned 29 and this is his 3rd year in the system. I'm not sure he's capable of much better. The way he plays is as if he was thrown in after just arriving 2 months before the season started. I want our 2nd and 3rd stringers to get as much playing time as possible this game to see what they can do for this year in case Aune gets pulled or hurt and for next year when he's gone.

Frankly, and this is likely just my hopefulness clouding my thoughts, but I think we'll definitely see more of the *other* guys than we do of him this game. Going back to last year, game 3 is when Aune took over for Ruder and it was also the next game after the SMU loss. I'm not sure Aune is a lock to finish the season as the starter right now.

Edit: to add about getting the 1s on the same page. There's nothing about Aune's time here to suggest his bad performance is due to needing more playing time with the 1s.

Now, maybe you mean our "current" system, if we have one, but Aune has been here since 2018. So 5th year.

29 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

Now, maybe you mean our "current" system, if we have one, but Aune has been here since 2018. So 5th year.

I honestly completely skated over the fact that it's been that long since he came to UNT. Doesn't seem that long but you're right. My apologies. Doesn't exactly make me feel better about his performance lol.

The difference is - Portland State was making some noise back then - they finished off 9-3.

TSU has no noise. It would be far worse to lose to TSU. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 1

On 9/8/2022 at 5:32 PM, UNTLifer said:

Well then, why play the f'ing game in the first place?  Go hammer their ass, work on our weaknesses and prepare for UNLV.

To pad our record with what should be an easy win at home. It won't be much more than a bad scrimmage this week; so I would not count on much player development. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1