SL Weekly Presser 9/6/22

Big Z

On 9/7/2022 at 3:17 PM, UNTcrazy727 said:

Based on what he's said in interviews the past couple years, I think the transfer portal and NIL have killed a lot of his passion for being a head coach. It's not what he signed up for when he was younger and moving up the ranks to become a HC. 

Adapt or die.

On 9/8/2022 at 12:07 PM, NT80 said:

Different era.   College players today need PB and Grant McCasland emotion in their face!

I don't believe that there's a particular kind of demeanor that's better or worse. If you're a good coach, you're a good coach. SL just isn't a very good coach. Mediocre at best. You are what your record says you are.

I couldn't give a rat's ass if he's a robot or a madman. Compete for conference championships, win bowl games, and beat more teams than just the bottom half of CUSA.

41 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

Adapt or die.

I don't believe that there's a particular kind of demeanor that's better or worse. If you're a good coach, you're a good coach. SL just isn't a very good coach. Mediocre at best. You are what your record says you are.

I couldn't give a rat's ass if he's a robot or a madman. Compete for conference championships, win bowl games, and beat more teams than just the bottom half of CUSA.

Name me one coach other than NicknSaban that is an introvert?  Name one.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Name me one coach other than NicknSaban that is an introvert?  Name one.

An introvert, or just having a different demeanor than what you described? 

Ryan Day is a pretty chill coach. Even when he’s pissed or being fun/happy, it’s pretty subdued.

Justin Fuente is usually described as business-like in demeanor.

In the pros, Leslie Frazier is a calm guy. Didn’t do well as a HC in the pros in his first stint, but he’s a great DC/DB coach. 

It would be near impossible to know if any particular coach were an introvert, since a workplace is different than personal social situations, and we don’t see 130-ish coaches outside of work. 

Plenty of coaches aren’t “in your face”, and plenty more are simply different varieties of it (players’ coaches shaving mohawks and dancing or authoritarians screaming and throwing crap). 

My point is Seth’s demeanor isn’t WHY he’s a mediocre coach. It’s just another mark against him given his record. At least if he was fun off the field or in interviews, he’d be providing  entertainment SOMEWHERE. 

I’d rather have a fun or interesting head coach, but being loud doesn’t make you a winner.  

1 hour ago, Monkeypox said:

An introvert, or just having a different demeanor than what you described? 

Ryan Day is a pretty chill coach. Even when he’s pissed or being fun/happy, it’s pretty subdued.

Justin Fuente is usually described as business-like in demeanor.

In the pros, Leslie Frazier is a calm guy. Didn’t do well as a HC in the pros in his first stint, but he’s a great DC/DB coach. 

It would be near impossible to know if any particular coach were an introvert, since a workplace is different than personal social situations, and we don’t see 130-ish coaches outside of work. 

Plenty of coaches aren’t “in your face”, and plenty more are simply different varieties of it (players’ coaches shaving mohawks and dancing or authoritarians screaming and throwing crap). 

My point is Seth’s demeanor isn’t WHY he’s a mediocre coach. It’s just another mark against him given his record. At least if he was fun off the field or in interviews, he’d be providing  entertainment SOMEWHERE. 

I’d rather have a fun or interesting head coach, but being loud doesn’t make you a winner.  

I think players will take on the personality of their coach, for sure.   So yeah, being “business-like” can rub off on your players & they’ll keep their nose to the grindstone & work their butts off for you.  Very disciplined & full of effort with every play.

If your HC is that way, you’d better have some other guys on staff that will bring the juice & get your players excited to play.  Filani, Choice, Ekeler used to be those guys.