G5 schools with the highest # of portal entries (scholarship players) since 8/1

meangreenfaninno

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Having players go to the transfer portal, is not necessarily a bad thing.   NT has lost some very good players, but also has cleared the way for more scholarships and moved some players that were not likely to ever significantly contribute. 

Are you under the impression that NT can just give out as many scholarships as we have openings?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Are you under the impression that NT can just give out as many scholarships as we have openings?

No, and I did not state that. 

What do you think an opening is?  A ship player leaves that creates an opening.  The max is 85, but that really does not matter if you lose and add the same number.

The normal 25 ships max this year also has an exception to add an additional 7 players under certain conditions.  

Per 247, 2022 recruiting:  Marshall has 25 regular recruits and 9 transfers, USM has 20 regular recruits and 10 transfers, FIU has 20 regular recruits plus 8 transfers.  

I have no idea, why these numbers are greater than the supposed limits.   I know there were teams in the past that gave out a lot more ships than allowed because they knew a lot of the players would not qualify.   

I also know that ships can be backdated and also count against a future year.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Most don’t have the resources to make moving before being forced to do so an attractive proposition.  It has to be a step up in pay or career path to make sense to leave.

Assistants are typically on 1-year contracts so they are pretty much guaranteed their money 💰 for that year and then can make a move at years end.  The exception for us is Phil Bennett because he got a 2-year deal and is in year 2.  

• Upvote 1

On 2/15/2022 at 10:57 AM, Mike Jackson said:

Surprising to see Houston on this list.  Their coach just got an extension, they are coming off a great season and scheduled to be in the Big 12 within most underclassmen’s eligibility window.  Transfers from Houston aren’t likely to find a better situation at another good program.

The Transfer Portal can be a two-way street.  Some of the better G5 players are looking to move up to P5.  In Houston's case I believe that their transfers are in the portal because they weren't pleased with their amount of playing time they and can find more at the G5 level since Houston will be moving to P5.