PGA Tour: American Express

UNTLifer

Both Ortiz and Munoz are in the field this week.  The American Express Championship is being played at La Quinta Country Club in La Quinta, CA.

Currently in the first round:

T70 Ortiz is -1 through 13

T146 Munoz +3 through 3

*Leader is Patrick Cantlay at -7 through 7

Edited by UNTLifer
Updated
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Both Ortiz and Munoz are in the field this week.  The American Express Championship is being played at La Quinta Country Club in La Quinta, CA.

Currently, very early:

Ortiz is E through 1

Munoz has yet to tee off.

I second @MeanGreenTexan's thoughts on how much you are appreciate for your reporting on here.

• Upvote 2

Thanks.  Just an old dude that enjoys watching golf.  It is more fun when we have alumni in the game.  Both of these young man represent us well.

Current scores updated above.  Munoz is struggling.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Thanks 1

• UNTLifer changed the title to PGA Tour: American Express
16 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Thanks.  Just an old dude that enjoys watching golf.  It is more fun when we have alumni in the game.  Both of these young man represent us well.

Storytime with MeanGreenTexan:
10 years ago, I bid on a set of 3 lessons with Coach Stracke for the Don January Golf Tournament and Fundraiser.  I wasn't expecting to win with my minimum bid, but I did!   It should be said, I'm a novice golfer at best.   I'm happy if I can break 100, and I'll jump around like I just won the Masters if I happen to birdie a hole.  Definitely the guy that slows a foursome down.

So I went in, and it was awesome.  Coach Stracke had the camera out to look at my swing and everything... like I'm one of his golfers!   He was critiquing my swing, giving me pointers...  I was having a blast and learning a lot!

During my second lesson, a few of the guys come in, including Carlos.   Coach Stracke brings him over, introduces him, I shake his hand & congratulate him on his SBC championship.  We chit-chat, and he goes over to practice putting in a separate area of the practice building (this is way before Bruzzy's obviously).   
I go back to hitting, and I top one hard to the right that somehow escapes the cage I'm in, and shoots straight over to Carlos' head.   Like a friggin ninja, Carlos ducks, narrowly escaping death (or at least a nasty concussion).   He turns to look at me with eyes the size of saucers, then over to coach Stracke like, 'Seriously?!?!'.  I'll never forget it.   
The other golfers chuckle after the ball finishes clanging around off the metal walls where he was.  I turn back to look at coach Stracke who's staring at his prized golfer, then looks back at me like, 'WTF?!?!'.   
Carlos continues to work on his putting despite this loose canon literally teeing-off at his head about 20' away.  Credit to that young man's work ethic & concentration.

I apologized profusely to both of them, finished that lesson, and didn't even bother returning for my last lesson.

I like to think Carlos replays that day in his mind whenever he's staring down a huge putt, knowing, "If I can survive that idiot, I can sink this putt!"  🤣

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

10 years ago, I bid on a set of 3 lessons with Coach Stracke for the Don January Golf Tournament and Fundraiser.  I wasn't expecting to win with my minimum bid, but I did!   It should be said, I'm a novice golfer at best.   I'm happy if I can break 100, and I'll jump around like I just won the Masters if I happen to birdie a hole.  Definitely the guy that slows a foursome down.

So I went in, and it was awesome.  Coach Stracke had the camera out to look at my swing and everything... like I'm one of his golfers!   He was critiquing my swing, giving me pointers...  I was having a blast and learning a lot!

During my second lesson, a few of the guys come in, including Carlos.   Coach Stracke brings him over, introduces him, I shake his hand & congratulate him on his SBC championship.  We chit-chat, and he goes over to practice putting in a separate area of the practice building (this is way before Bruzzy's obviously).   
I go back to hitting, and I top one hard to the right that somehow escapes the cage I'm in, and shoots straight over to Carlos' head.   Like a friggin ninja, Carlos ducks, narrowly escaping death (or at least a nasty concussion).   He turns to look at me with eyes the size of saucers, then over to coach Stracke like, 'Seriously?!?!'.  I'll never forget it.   
The other golfers chuckle after the ball finishes clanging around off the metal walls where he was.  I turn back to look at coach Stracke who's staring at his prized golfer, then looks back at me like, 'WTF?!?!'.   
Carlos continues to work on his putting despite this loose canon literally teeing-off at his head about 20' away.  Credit to that young man's work ethic & concentration.

I apologized profusely to both of them, finished that lesson, and didn't even bother returning for my last lesson.

I like to think Carlos replays that day in his mind whenever he's staring down a huge putt, knowing, "If I can survive that idiot, I can sink this putt!"  🤣

That is a great story and hilarious! 

On 1/20/2022 at 10:26 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.