UNT Recruiting Facts

Wag Tag

4 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

4. It’s going to be difficult to add an instant impact QB with the uncertainty of Seth’s employment. 

I would argue it could be more impactful to his staff than recruits. Every coach is in flux, Aranda has 1 winning season and he is up for every opening out there.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I would argue it could be more impactful to his staff than recruits. Every coach is in flux, Aranda has 1 winning season and he is up for every opening out there.

I guess my overall thought is that (let’s take Ward for example) if you’re a QB with multiple years of eligibility, would you rather A) be guaranteed a starting spot for a coach on the hottest of hot seats going into the year or B) compete for a starting spot for a coach that just signed a new extension. Personally, I’d probably go B. Added bonus that it’s the highest tier of CFB. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

16 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I guess my overall thought is that (let’s take Ward for example) if you’re a QB with multiple years of eligibility, would you rather A) be guaranteed a starting spot for a coach on the hottest of hot seats going into the year or B) compete for a starting spot for a coach that just signed a new extension. Personally, I’d probably go B. Added bonus that it’s the highest tier of CFB. 

How many of those exist and is their qb room already stacked? I believe we can attract the guy that wants to play or the guy that wants to move up to a better conference. Being 3rd deep at a P5 with a freshman or sophomore starting isn't good.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

How many of those exist and is their qb room already stacked? I believe we can attract the guy that wants to play or the guy that wants to move up to a better conference. Being 3rd deep at a P5 with a freshman or sophomore starting isn't good.

I guess we’ll see. I never said it was impossible or wouldn’t happen (there should be even more options after bowl season). Just said it’ll be difficult. 

• Upvote 1

The ability of a coach and staff to recruit, is what matters.

I doubt many QB's or any other players are committing to play for a particular coach.  I would think for example that players flock to Alabama more because of their success and status than to play for Sabin. 

NT should be very attractive for QB's because at this point the position is wide open.  Littrell is a pass first coach.  Last year's dependance on the run was more a factor of the players available than a change in offensive philosophy. 

I do believe that NT is near the top of the chart in G5's in terms of location, facilities, educational choices, and Denton is a great college town. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

The ability of a coach and staff to recruit, is what matters.

I doubt many QB's or any other players are committing to play for a particular coach.  I would think for example that players flock to Alabama more because of their success and status than to play for Sabin. 

NT should be very attractive for QB's because at this point the position is wide open.  Littrell is a pass first coach.  Last year's dependance on the run was more a factor of the players available than a change in offensive philosophy. 

I do believe that NT is near the top of the chart in G5's in terms of location, facilities, educational choices, and Denton is a great college town. 

Frank Wilson was brought to UTSA to recruit and could not coach. Recruiting is vital but you have to be able to coach them up. I would thin the QB position is one where the player wants to go somewhere where they have a record of developing QB's

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

It still boggles my mind that some folks would think that a 3rd string guy at a P5 is automatically someone who would not only start here, but take us to the heights we should be getting to.   

Time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time....

IT PROVES TO BE UNTRUE.

If a dude can't start at a SEC school, he's going to have a hard time starting at UNT as well.   Hypothetically, I would much rather have the guy who started and played well at McNeese St. than Auburn's 3rd string QB (I don't know who either of these guys are in real life).

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It still boggles my mind that some folks would think that a 3rd string guy at a P5 is automatically someone who would not only start here, but take us to the heights we should be getting to.   

Time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time....

IT PROVES TO BE UNTRUE.

If a dude can't start at a SEC school, he's going to have a hard time starting at UNT as well.   Hypothetically, I would much rather have the guy who started and played well at McNeese St. than Auburn's 3rd string QB (I don't know who either of these guys are in real life).

All true, but guys who are not starters at G5's or stand-outs at the FCS level probably have even less of a chance. I am all for going after a top tier FCS QB or starter from another G5 over a P5 3rd teamer; it just doesn't seem this staff has been able to attract them. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, greenminer said:

IMO we're starting to get too nitpick about a recruit's origins.  There is tons of talent out there.

Wish we would frame this more about our staff's ability to identify talent no matter where they come from, and then develop them in our system.

This.  Out of curiosity, I looked at Boise State's roster and their past recruiting classes.  There current starter was rated .89-something coming out of high school, but the other recent signings were mid to low .80's.  They currently have five on their roster, the starter  who is a junior and the remaining QB's are freshmen.  They find kids that fit there system.  Per texasfootball.com, there are over 1,400 high school football teams in Texas alone.  We should be able to find a quarterback. 

• RV 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

IT PROVES TO BE UNTRUE.

Don't believe this at all.  There are many 3rd string or lower QB's at P5's that could have improved NT's qb situation.  You realize there are 4 and even 5 star quarterbacks setting behind more experienced players at the top tier football schools.  

Good qbs or football players can be found in the transfer portal, jucos, and high schools.  The issue is identifying one and actually being able to sign him.   

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

28 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Don't believe this at all.  There are many 3rd string or lower QB's at P5's that could have improved NT's qb situation.  You realize there are 4 and even 5 star quarterbacks setting behind more experienced players at the top tier football schools.  

Good qbs or football players can be found in the transfer portal, jucos, and high schools.  The issue is identifying one and actually being able to sign him.   

Oh, you're one of them!   Sorry.
I believe we've seen the past 2 QBs come in here from Alabama & North Carolina with all their High School stars... and do what exactly?

Meanwhile, Mason Fine came in with 2 stars and set a bunch of NT records, Bailey Zappe is (barring catstrophe) about to set the single-season NCAA passing record in his bowl game, and Cam Ward just told us "no thanks" on his way to who-knows-where.    I'll stand by my statement that I'd rather have a prolific guy from the FCS level than some SEC/ACC/B1G/Big12 3rd-string guy.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

1. Seth has 2 years left on his contract

2. 2020 class C-USA #2 ranked, #68 National

3. 2021 class C-USA #1 ranked, #78 National, transfer Bush, Jackson, Ruder among others

2019 - 4-8

2020 - 4-6

2021 - 6-6

Despite having top classes in the conference, Littrell is still 14-20 in his last three seasons.

He is not a good coach

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh, you're one of them!   Sorry.
I believe we've seen the past 2 QBs come in here from Alabama & North Carolina with all their High School stars... and do what exactly?

Meanwhile, Mason Fine came in with 2 stars and set a bunch of NT records, Bailey Zappe is (barring catstrophe) about to set the single-season NCAA passing record in his bowl game, and Cam Ward just told us "no thanks" on his way to who-knows-where.    I'll stand by my statement that I'd rather have a prolific guy from the FCS level than some SEC/ACC/B1G/Big12 3rd-string guy.

You are basing your point on one instance at one school and extrapolating that to all D1 football. 

I stated nothing about a preference about were QB's are recruited from.   In fact I say they could be found from many places.  

Edited by GrandGreen