Specific Top Candidates for Next UNT HC

Billy Clyde

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Disagree, NT was always very limited by the budget.   That is why Fry left.

The hiring of McCarney was the first were NT showed they were willing to pay for the right coaches.   Dodge was very much a bargain hire as was Dickey.

NT is not in that place anymore.  They have the facilities, location, academics to attract good coaches and an attractive budget that should only grow with inclusion in the AAC.  

Money may have been one factor in Hayden Fry's decision to depart.  But I think that always having to fight with an administration stuck in the 40/50's,  plus getting to coach in a more prestigious conference than the SWC was the main reason he left. There was also a rumor that Coach Fry was told by someone in the SWC that NT was never going to happen as a conference member. There was also a fact that when Iowa had it's spring game something like 40K people showed up.

GG were you ever, are are you now employed by the University?

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Are you of the opinion we should have never hired PB? and Gush

It's more of a grey area with PB (and Gush), afaik he wasn't a part of accusations (unlike Tate) and he has a very long body of work that is clean. But even with that,  no, I'm not sure i would have hired him. We've already done the come out of retirement old coach routine... I want some new energy and promotable coaches. However, I'm not paid to make that decision. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

Money may have been one factor in Hayden Fry's decision to depart.  But I think that always having to fight with an administration stuck in the 40/50's,  plus getting to coach in a more prestigious conference than the SWC was the main reason he left. There was also a rumor that Coach Fry was told by someone in the SWC that NT was never going to happen as a conference member. There was also a fact that when Iowa had it's spring game something like 40K people showed up.

GG were you ever, are are you now employed by the University?

Not employed, unless you count being a student janitor for a while

Fry actually stated one of the reasons for him leaving was the budget, he stated he wanted bigger salaries for his assistants.  I am sure he would have liked more also. 

Fry got fired by SMU and found a good temporary home at NT.  He like most all head coaches was very ambitious.  He told me and others that there was just not enough money at NT for recruiting.  I suspect he was not talking about the budget.  

Edited by GrandGreen

Anthony Lynn.

From Wikipedia: "Anthony Ray Lynn is an American professional football coach and former player who is the offensive coordinator for the Detroit Lions of the National Football League. He played as a running back in the NFL for six seasons, primarily with the Denver Broncos. Utilized in a reserve role, Lynn was a member of the Broncos teams that won two consecutive Super Bowls in Super Bowl XXXII and Super Bowl XXXIII. After retiring as a player, he served as the head coach of the Los Angeles Chargers from 2017 to 2020. He was also the interim head coach for the Buffalo Bills in 2016."

Played high school football at Celina.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

It's more of a grey area with PB (and Gush), afaik he wasn't a part of accusations (unlike Tate) and he has a very long body of work that is clean. But even with that,  no, I'm not sure i would have hired him. We've already done the come out of retirement old coach routine... I want some new energy and promotable coaches. However, I'm not paid to make that decision. 

I know it depends on the person, but in general would your preference be a

• Current HC - G5 or FCS who has won and built programs
  • Rising Coordinator, but no college HC experience
  • Rebounding G5 --> P5 -->G5
  • Upvote 1

Joey McGuire or Doc Holiday are my two top candidates for this next season. Let's not even entertain coaches with a shaky past, that will never happen here, and I'm not sure why we're still having a conversation about it. Much better coaches available without all the baggage. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Art Briles- the best option based on his history as a HC but with a ton of baggage and UNT would receive a media shit show from it because of what happened at Baylol

Kendal Briles- a potentially good option as he has had success at every stop as an OC but has no HC experience plus he still has the stain of Baylol on him

Colby Carthel- a very good option i think that has shown he can build programs based on what he did at Texas A&M-Commerce and winning a D2 NC there and now at SFA by turning around a complete joke of a program. But he has no FBS experience which puts people off

Joey McGuire- another choice ive heard about recently on here and from others and he is from the DFW area with a history of success at pretty much every stop whether HS or College. But he has no HC experience at the collegiate level which is a concern or mine but i think he would be quite possibly the best fit at UNT

I really have no idea what UNT will end up doing but whatever it is they need to fire Littrell ASAP and have there next HC ready to go or go get immediately after. UNT is falling further behind every single week

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Art Briles- the best option based on his history as a HC but with a ton of baggage and UNT would receive a media shit show from it because of what happened at Baylol

Kendal Briles- a potentially good option as he has had success at every stop as an OC but has no HC experience plus he still has the stain of Baylol on him

Colby Carthel- a very good option i think that has shown he can build programs based on what he did at Texas A&M-Commerce and winning a D2 NC there and now at SFA by turning around a complete joke of a program. But he has no FBS experience which puts people off

Joey McGuire- another choice ive heard about recently on here and from others and he is from the DFW area with a history of success at pretty much every stop whether HS or College. But he has no HC experience at the collegiate level which is a concern or mine but i think he would be quite possibly the best fit at UNT

I really have no idea what UNT will end up doing but whatever it is they need to fire Littrell ASAP and have there next HC ready to go or go get immediately after. UNT is falling further behind every single week

I like Keeler from SHSU and Carthel. Not sure with the price range we will probably end up if he (Carthel) will be considered. He might need to take a FBS D-coordinator job first if he wants to end up a coach FBS HC

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I like Keeler from SHSU and Carthel. Not sure with the price range we will probably end up if he (Carthel) will be considered. He might need to take a FBS D-coordinator job first if he wants to end up a coach FBS HC

Completely forgot about KC Keeler. He’d be another good option but I’d think if he wanted to move up then he’d have done it already. But we’ll see

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Completely forgot about KC Keeler. He’d be another good option but I’d think if he wanted to move up then he’d have done it already. But we’ll see

I think after the student body turned down the athletic fee increase and the poor attendance after winning the NC he might think differently. BTW - Due to Spring ball, I believe with their win this weekend, SHSU will sent a NCAA record for the most Football wins in a calendar year. 

The Bearkats have also won a record 17 games in the 2021 calendar year, surpassing Yale (1894, 1889), Chicago (1899), and North Dakota State (2019).

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2