Specific Top Candidates for Next UNT HC

Billy Clyde

McGuire:  Defensive Coordinator, sure!    A defensive guy already, working under Aranda for 2 years would be plenty of tutoring to take on that role.

HC, Not so sure.

Harrell:  Again, I just feel like most people are simply comfortable with Harrell.  He's a guy we know, so ideally we'd be interested in him.   I just think there are so many other guys with his same qualifications (or better) that would be a better fit for NT.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 11
  • Downvote 4

38 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This argument wouldn't necessarily be fair either.

Traylor fits McGuire's mold to a T (a TXHSFB legend, assistant coach, not even a coordinator).  And look at what he's done at UTSA!   So I don't think McGuire should just be outcast because of Dodge's tenure here.

What about Traylor?  We could pay him more than UTSA. Moving to a higher profile conference….with UTSA. That could get awkward…but who care. He has done nothing but win. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 3
  • Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, greenminer said:

But you think he would accept a UNT offer?

I think he would. Better location, facilities, recruiting area, AD, and money. Joey is a North Texas guy. He went to high school and college right here in the metroplex. He has always made it clear that he does not want to leave Texas. With the move up in conferences this could be the spot he has been patiently waiting for............but I'm just speculating with a little bit of inside knowledge.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Billy Clyde said:

Hi Folks,

I'm sorry I can't source this, but I have a contact in the Texas Tech AD. I was talking to him this morning through all the Matt Wells chaos.

Unsolicited, he gave me some info on the upcoming UNT search. He said that while TTU is not interested in Joey McGuire (Baylor) because of his lack of coordinator experience, it is "well-known" that UNT has him at the top its list should Littrell be let go as expected. UNT's other tier 1 candidate? Graham Harrell. 

I know that this will be met with skepticism by some, but that's ok. Are there more than these two coaches at the top of UNT's list? Probably. But, I thought you all would want to know. I know no one will be surprised by GH, but I thought McGuire was an interesting revelation. I haven't heard much chatter about him on this site.  

I think Joey would be a home run hire. He have enough respect in the coaching world to get some high quality assistants to come to Denton. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I would like this hire to be honest. Recruiting would immediately take a jump up. He is right there with Traylor in terms of TXHSFB connections. He has coached on both sides of the ball. He is a true HC.

Yeah, his tenure at Baylor is weird.   Like Rhule & Aranda just filled any open spots with him, doesn't matter the actual position.
Tight Ends, DE's, OLB's...     Interesting.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Should speak volumes about his TXHSFB pull

Yeah.    Outside of his High School HC position, he hasn't been a HC before though.    So if those saying Wren is going to follow his template & find someone with HC experience, McGuire ain't it.

Also, on the flipside of not dismissing him as a bad hire just because of our history with Dodge, we can't  assume he's gonna be a homerun because of what Traylor has done at UTSA.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yeah.    Outside of his High School HC position, he hasn't been a HC before though.    So if those saying Wren is going to follow his template & find someone with HC experience, McGuire ain't it.

Also, on the flipside of not dismissing him as a bad hire just because of our history with Dodge, we can't  assume he's gonna be a homerun because of what Traylor has done at UTSA.

What differentiate Traylor and McGuire from Dodge is the experience they have got as FBS Assistants. Now Traylor got experience at multiple spots. McGuire has got it under multiple head coaches. Dodge had zero. And brought in HS assistants. You would have to think Mcguire would bring in college assistants as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Should speak volumes about his TXHSFB pull

Based off expert analysis recruiting is not the problem. Development, hires, game management, using time outs have been a few of the issues. Give me a HC that has been successful. If we can't get Traylor or Fuente give me Todd at $1.5m and increase the coaches salary pool by $750k.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1