"You Guessed It!" Guess the UNT Sports or Campus

Rules of this "guess whose nickname" game while we wait on UNT students to start filling to capacity all their dorms in a few weeks:

** Some of you know EVERY Mean Green player, campus leader or campus character's nickname most likely, especially many of you who have been around the Mean Green Scene a few decades.

}:>) Feel free to post a "whose nickname" question no matter how difficult or easy you think it is, but no one poster can answer or name over 2 correct nickname answers as to make this fair to many of you who might participate.

>>>>>>>> ADDENDUM: Only 1 (one) nickname question per post. (Just added this Wednesday AM).

Feel free to post your own nickname question even if no one answers the one I've posted below. BUT....................if you have an answer to a nickname, make sure your post includes the post with the nickname question.

Damn.....Please don't ask me to repeat all that lagniape again?!?!?!?!?! blink.gif

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My nickname for "YOU" to guess:

WHO IN UNT SPORTS IN THE 1970'S WAS.................."THE WHIRL" ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

IF you have no idea who on this question, post your own nickname question (perhaps someone from your era, too? tongue.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Jim,

Have you thought about writing childrens books?  So many ideas and activities, why not put some of those extra brain waves to work for you?  You should give it some thought my brother!

Rick

Rick:

Children's books? Thanks (I think)?!?! Now how could one who has no children write children's books? biggrin.gif

Not many in the 'Nation into nicknames, eh? rolleyes.gif

Let's try again, here's another MG player's nickname:

"Hatchet" ? ? ? ?

YOUR ARE RIGHT ON "Hatchet" who is present UNT Board of Regen Chuck Beatty.

HINT on first nickname question: "The Whirl" was a guard fo a Bill Blakely-coached Mean Green BB team back in the 70's. He was known for doing all his "whriling" (and twirling around) and putting up the ball from most anywhere on the court, even when he may not have had a good shot.

THANKS BLEEDGREEN64, for the nickname(s) but just "one" nickname per post, please (but I didn't say that in the rules, did I)? :Sorry, my fault on that................sad.gif

cool.gif I'll asnwer "ONE" of your nicknames: "Spider" would be ex Mean Green great Carl "Spider" Lockhart who I never got to see play football in Denton, but did on TV when he played for the NY Football Giants!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Would "the Whirl" be little Joe Hamilton?  NT's best guard combo (IMO) when teamed with Crest Whittaker.

Can't wait to get off work, drive through the rain and get my DCTF today!!!!

That is "not" the answer------remember, he was from a mid-1970's Bill Blakely BB teams. Good try, though!

So.....once again (one guess for a nickname per poster), who was "THE WHIRL" from Blakely's team? Already numerous views on this, but few guesses?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

It was Chicago's own Earl 'the whirl' King. I have Weasel Johnson's playing jersey and am proud of it. Weasel now coaches a high school team in Houston...not sure which school.

YOU GOT IT! Way to go drex on "THE WHIRL" ! ! !

New variation to this game: If you guess at one of these, consider asking a nickame question for the rest of us. Thanks in advance....

...........................................................................................

In the annals of UNT history, who was "Fessor" ? ?

Remember now, any poster can only guess 2 correct answers. Honor system here....smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

"Fessor" was Floyd Graham!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that your final 'ansa, Big Al?

well..........YOU GUESSED IT!:)

I am trying to get on Scotties GMG.com Funky (corny?) Thread of the Week here--think I have a chance)?}:>)

Remember now, you can get only 2 correct answers per poster and please post a nickname question after you guess one correct if you wish.

.....................................................................................................................

NICKNAME QUESTION: Who in MG basketball was "Big City" ? ?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Would that be Doug Schindler???

Sorry, PMG, if I'm answering out of turn... sad.gif

You're not answering out of turn at all BUT it is not Shindler unless some of you were calling him that name.

I know who Gray Eagle's "LURCH" is but I am leaving that answer for someone else. Actually, I even had a class with "LURCH".......)

Any hints for the guys (& gals) on "LURCH" , GrayEagle?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Actually, PMG, I called Schindler "RoboPost", because of his mechanically stiff movements in the paint...but lest anyone think I was bagging on Doug, the nickname was a term of affection, not derision.

I should have figured that Gray Eagle wouldn't be highlighting an early-90s player with his first question, since his "era" is a bit longer than most... smile.gif

Actually, PMG, I called Schindler "RoboPost", because of his mechanically stiff movements in the paint...but lest anyone think I was bagging on Doug, the nickname was a term of affection, not derision.

I should have figured that Gray Eagle wouldn't be highlighting an early-90s player with his first question, since his "era" is a bit longer than most... smile.gif

Was hoping for some nicknames from 80's, 90's and 00's alums but guess there weren't that many (especially in basketball since we were mostly in the wilderness for "40 years" so to speak); but I've also been told by one of that group that this was an "obnoxious" thread.smile.gif

An earlier post at the beginning of this thread this morning asked "Who was "T D"? I have no idea but I'd bet he played football, eh?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen