Who is the leader of this team?

meangreen11

7 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Don't forget about the Murphy twins......last year they seemed like the only ones that really cared what going on the field on the defense.

Very true. I remember even posting about that we had players on the sidelines playing and laughing around when we were down 42 to SMU. It was gross 

Bowen didn’t like the Murphy twins for some reason until the end of the year, but they proved to be a huge piece. They’ve bulked up a lot, and I expect 5 sacks a piece.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Very true. I remember even posting about that we had players on the sidelines playing and laughing around when we were down 42 to SMU. It was gross 

Bowen didn’t like the Murphy twins for some reason until the end of the year, but they proved to be a huge piece. They’ve bulked up a lot, and I expect 5 sacks a piece.

They played the last 6 games at DE and they had 3 and 4.5 sacks respectively. So doesn’t seem realistic to expect double those numbers for a full season.

Then you throw in having their first full offseason at the position plus spring ball and fall camp, have to imagine it’s realistic for that type of production and being more complete 3-down players.

I know it’s easy for the homerism and optimism to come in heavy this time of year, but I really feel like this is the best we have been in the trenches collectively between O-Line and D-Line since Littrell has been here. 1st team all conference DT and 2nd team all conference OT, bring back all D-Line starters and only lost one O-Line starter, plus adding an SEC D-Lineman and Abilene Christian’s 2018 and 2019 sack leader. 

I really feel like there is objective justification behind saying this is the best we’ve been in the trenches under Littrell. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

They played the last 6 games at DE and they had 3 and 4.5 sacks respectively. So doesn’t seem realistic to expect double those numbers for a full season.

Then you throw in having their first full offseason at the position plus spring ball and fall camp, have to imagine it’s realistic for that type of production and being more complete 3-down players.

I know it’s easy for the homerism and optimism to come in heavy this time of year, but I really feel like this is the best we have been in the trenches collectively between O-Line and D-Line since Littrell has been here. 1st team all conference DT and 2nd team all conference OT, bring back all D-Line starters and only lost one O-Line starter, plus adding an SEC D-Lineman and Abilene Christian’s 2018 and 2019 sack leader. 

I really feel like there is objective justification behind saying this is the best we’ve been in the trenches under Littrell. 

Absolutely, the twins are destined for a special year. Not only is this the best we have been since 2016 in the trenches, we have the most quality depth by a long shot! 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Absolutely, the twins are destined for a special year. Not only is this the best we have been since 2016 in the trenches, we have the most quality depth by a long shot! 

Some of me wonders if these two were just put in the right position to succeed in Bowen's awful scheme and may possibly get lost in Bennett's.

Most of me thinks if these two were able to put up the numbers they did in Bowen's scheme, I can't imagine what they're going to do in a legitimate defensive scheme.

I have high hopes for the Murphys, but I'm not going to put huge expectations on them yet.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Some of me wonders if these two were just put in the right position to succeed in Bowen's awful scheme and may possibly get lost in Bennett's.

Most of me thinks if these two were able to put up the numbers they did in Bowen's scheme, I can't imagine what they're going to do in a legitimate defensive scheme.

I have high hopes for the Murphys, but I'm not going to put huge expectations on them yet.

Sounds like they have bulked up and looked great in the spring. They and the team have planned for them to be the DEs for a whole offseason, whereas last season they were sort of last-ditch efforts 5 games in to get some pass rush. Conditions are much more in their favor now but if they aren’t looking as good I hope Bennett is not above looking at how they were used last year. At the end of the day it just seems like they have the tools you can’t teach.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1