Conference USA Preseason Position Previews: Quarterback

8. North Texas: Former New York Yankees minor-leaguer Austin Aune performed well in a platoon role with dual-threat option Jason Bean, who transferred to Kansas during the offseason. Aune will turn 28 two days after the season opener against Northwestern State, so it’s very much now or never for the former three-star recruit. Jace Ruder will arrive from North Carolina in the Fall and has an opportunity to unseat Aune. A four-star prospect coming out of high school, Ruder has the size (6-3, 225) and talent to be an excellent player. Littrell has intimated that he won’t use a two-quarterback system again in 2021, so one of these players will take the job.

Read more:  https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2021/6/7/22511153/conference-usa-preseason-position-previews-quarterback-football-marshall-fiu-fau-miami-utsa-rice

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I hope Seth rolls with one QB the entire year, no more of the BS.

I also hope Ruder pans out. No offense to Aune, but Ruder seems like a better candidate for the offense even if he hasn’t been in our system.

Agree. If Ruder is not he starter by midseason it was a wasted transfer. With the young QBs we have if you brought him in with the amount of time he has left he needs to be a starter

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I hope Seth rolls with one QB the entire year, no more of the BS.

I also hope Ruder pans out. No offense to Aune, but Ruder seems like a better candidate for the offense even if he hasn’t been in our system.

I feel like we overstate how much Littrell “rotated” last year. We rotated QBs for the first game and a half of last season, and that was really it. He settled on Aune by the second half of the second game.

Aune blew the opportunity by having an awful half at MTSU, but it’s not like Littrell was still rotating QBs. Aune’s turnovers necessitated a change. Then Bean lit it up and again, Littrell held firm with Bean rather than continuing to rotate. Only went back to Aune after a lengthy stretch of subpar passing performances from Bean and stuck with Aune the rest of the UTEP game. 

My point is, Littrell made it clear last year that he didn’t want to rotate QBs. He made in-game QB changes, but the rotating was done by halftime of the SMU game. I expect something similar this year unless Ruder just comes in and wins the competition hands down. Probably see them both in the first two games then roll with one from there on out.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I feel like we overstate how much Littrell “rotated” last year. We rotated QBs for the first game and a half of last season, and that was really it. He settled on Aune by the second half of the second game.

Aune blew the opportunity by having an awful half at MTSU, but it’s not like Littrell was still rotating QBs. Aune’s turnovers necessitated a change. Then Bean lit it up and again, Littrell held firm with Bean rather than continuing to rotate. Only went back to Aune after a lengthy stretch of subpar passing performances from Bean and stuck with Aune the rest of the UTEP game. 

My point is, Littrell made it clear last year that he didn’t want to rotate QBs. He made in-game QB changes, but the rotating was done by halftime of the SMU game. I expect something similar this year unless Ruder just comes in and wins the competition hands down. Probably see them both in the first two games then roll with one from there on out.

Yep. I really hope someone this year TAKES the QB position. I don't care how old they are or what their name is or where they came from. Last year it seemed our QBs kept LOSING the position to each other, as opposed to winning it from each other.

Last year we had a 4th round NFL Wide Receiver on our roster who scored 19 TDs. I'm still pretty high on our skill position talent, but Darden isn't going to be here to bail out bad QB play.

Edited by Monkeypox
  • Upvote 3