what if they had a game....

dentUNiTe

I do hope that you don't expect the crowd to sit idly by when we are on offense and only get up and get excited when we are on defense.

Football Fan 101:

Yell like hell on defense, make it hard for the opposing team to hear in the huddle and at the line of scrimmage calling plays. Make audibles impossible.

Do not do the same to your own team.

Save noise on offense for during and immediately after plays - before the huddle. After that, let the QB be heard clearly as he yells any instructions and the snap count.

E-Bone:  You said that the crowd starts 95% of the cheers.  I will have to object.  I can't recall the last time "Boing-Boing-Pass" was considered a cheer.  A cheer needs words and the only words I hear coming from the crowd is Defense.

I wasn't even referring to that. I think I speak for most everyone when I say that the cheerleaders are almost always a non factor when it comes to chears. People in the crowds start the defense chant and the north texas chant. The only time cheerleaders actually start chants that I notice is during time outs when the guy comes out and in his most annoying voice yells "okay mean green fans on your feet! this side is north and mean, and this side is texas and green!". Hooray, I'm sure our players get pumped up when they hear that chant during timeouts when they are resting and listening to JJ half way through the first half.

Edited by e-bone

I can't recall the last time "Boing-Boing-Pass" was considered a cheer.  A cheer needs words and the only words I hear coming from the crowd is Defense.

English 101 Boing-boing pass are words!!!!

What does it matter what we are saying, boing boing pass are words coming from the crowd getting into the game and making the pit go crazy. Sitting behind the other team and saying that gets to them, and gets to them bad. Last night after they won so many of them turned to us and were like "yeah now what"-see we get to them, thats more then you can say for the 2 yes 2 cheerleaders that were there last night. In fact 2 of you may have been there, but i didnt hear a single word coming from their megaphones.

And what is wrong with the crowd saying "defense" if it gets the crowd going, and the players into it?

Other cheers the crowd did last night-

boing boing pass

go eagles go

north/texas

olay olay

lets go ealges lets go

Thanks for your reply COGreen. I think the frustration just comes from the fact that the cheerleaders that decided to be cheerleaders and suceeded with their try-outs took on a committment to cheer for the team. Just like the players that committed to play for UNT. The players must show up for practice and games as part of this committment. If they don't, the coaches kick them off the team or suspend them. The same should hold true for the cheerleaders. They should also wear matching uniforms. Maybe this will negatively effect cheerleader turnout for the rest of the year, but at least you got rid of the people that don't want to be there. Then next year make each cheerleader sign an agreement stating that they will be there for each game, with a few exceptions such as illness, death in the family, etc..., and that they will be kicked off the squad if they can't meet these requirements.

Let's face it, the cheeleaders should be an integral part of the game as each of you represent UNT. Not showing up is poor representation and reflects poorly on UNT and shouldn't be tolerated. Not trying to get on you, because it appears that you care. The one's that don't shouldn't be there. Sticking to a committment is something they will have to do for the rest of their lives. This should be a good lesson in that.

E-Bone, the reason the cheerleaders are a non issue in starting cheers is because you are not listening for them when they cheer. To you we are as important as the squeaks from the players shoes as they move across the court. We do cheers only during the game. During the timeouts the dancers dance and at the 16:00 official timeout in the 2nd half I do the North Texas cheer "in my annoying voice". wink.gif Let's try something, this Saturday you keep your ear out for all the cheers you hear the cheerleaders do. I think you may be surprised with the results. You are right however, it is good to get this stuff in the open. wink.gif

UNTLifer, I totally understand where you are coming from. I too am extremely frustrated and your attitude is just like mine right now. I am trying to just get out of my head the people who are not committed and trying to look forward to next year's squad. On the matching uniforms thing I think athletics is trying to fix that. At the moment there are not enough uniforms for the entire squad to have one matching uniform. That is why people were wearing different uniforms at the football games and at even some of the basketball games.

If anyone has suggestions or comments please don't be afraid to post them. I don't take anything personal unless it is a direct attack and I know that this bunch is too classy for that. Thank you all for your replies.

E-Bone, the reason the cheerleaders are a non issue in starting cheers is because you are not listening for them when they cheer.  To you we are as important as the squeaks from the players shoes as they move across the court.  We do cheers only during the game.  During the timeouts the dancers dance and at the 16:00 official timeout in the 2nd half I do the North Texas cheer "in my annoying voice".  wink.gif  Let's try something, this Saturday you keep your ear out for all the cheers you hear the cheerleaders do.  I think you may be surprised with the results.  You are right however, it is good to get this stuff in the open. wink.gif

Well it is kind of hard to hear two cheerleaders from across the court when the crowd is pumped and making noise.

What cheers do you try to start other than the defense chant and the north texas and mean green chants?

Also, the reason the cheerleaders are a non factor is because people see that only two or three show up to the games and realize that the cheerleaders just don't care and therefore don't really give them any thought and than to say "Wow, what a great showing by the cheerleaders" or something along those lines. Another reason the cheerleaders are a non factor is because people in the stands do a better job of starting chants and getting other people pumped than the two cheerleaders on the other side of the court do. The people in the crowd shouldn't be forced to listen for the cheerleaders to know when to yell and chant. If we can't hear the cheerleaders while we are watching the game then they serve no purpose.

I know that you and maybe a couple of others care, but you can't deny that most of the others don't. Otherwise we would be seeing a full compliment of cheerleaders at the games, in which case they wouldn't be a non factor anymore.

Edited by e-bone

Maybe the problem is, that the crowd is excited about doing chants, and getting into the heads of the other team. Maybe we need to do something like A&M and have Yell Leaders? Guys or Girls that can get the crowd pumped up to yell? that understand that the crowd isn't supposed to make noise when the offense has the football and is trying to call plays. Maybe the wings could do that, but didn't they get kicked out? don't think I've seen them at a basketball game, but I could be wrong.

Then the cheerleaders could do the tumbling and cheering, and competitions.

Plus.....If the crowd wants to yell "Boing, Boing, Pass!" I think I'd call it a cheer and try to start it once in a while.

GMG!!!!!!

Nice to have a problem of the crowd wanting to be more invloved for a change.

Dang I hadn't been checking on the board lately...this topic is something i had been waiting to see....

I am not gonna get all pissy and say something because everything i have to say has been said three times over...

my only comment is: DONT KNOCK US FOR GETTIN EXCITED.....Basketball games every since i started at this school have been boring and this season with the team winning and the friends being made there isn't anything i would wanna do tonite other than go to the bball game...and the GMG Bowl....If the cheerleaders are doing cheers i am not hearing them other than the defense chant....but my voice is pretty shot after the first half.....Dont KNock the students for doing new things....Boing Boing Pass....thats funny as hell and it is a chant.....Show us up!!! Thats what i wanna see....Cheerleaders just show us up!!!

Holler! GMG

See ya tonite!

Thanks again for all of your replies. It is really good that all fo this information is being passed back and forth. I will try again to address everyone individual.

E-Bone, I hear what you are saying but you make my point better than I could myself. You say that when you look and see only two cheerleaders you automatically say, "The cheerleaders don't care". That is true, for the cheerleaders that aren't there. The cheerleaders that are there are ready and willing to cheer. I know some of the time the cheerleaders that aren't there don't cheer for the sheer fact that they are pissed at the cheerleaders who didn't show up. It is rather disheartening when you make the sacrifices and someone who says they do really don't. I know this sounds just like an excuse but I think if you showed support for the cheerleaders (i.e. cheering with them) who cheer even when they are the only ones there. Most of the time when we start cheers there is dead silence in the Pit and it is just ignored, like I said before, with the squeaks of the player's shoes.

Mad Hatter, I think that last thing everyone wants to do is "hump it". I think there is a balance to be found and I think this dialogue is a good way to try and find it.

Zeke, thanks for showing me that other thread. I think the ideas brought up were very interesting. I especially like the OOOOHHHHH Let's Go Mean Green FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!! I also think the comment about the spirit coordinator is very interesting. We do have a Spirit Coordinator, her name is Jennifer Cloutier, she is also the coach for the UNT Dancers. Also during football there were meeting involving the band director, the cheerleading coach, and Jennifer. They all collaborated on what would happen but their talke were primarily directed at pregame stuff.

To everyone, I am having a little trouble understanding the concept that you are trying to get across for football. It seems like on offense you want Fouts Field to be like a golf course with absolute silence. I understand that it is not the time to get rowdy and totally scream your lungs out, but I think saying a cheer with the cheerleaders won't distract the players from hearing the play or the snap count. My friend was on Homecoming Court and he said even with people yelling for the people that made it the only thing he could really hear on the field was him and his friend talking. With the great distance that is between the stands and the field I think it is safe to say that doing a little chant while we are on offense won't make Jamel not know his route and drop a pass.

I appreciate the cheerleaders that did show up, as for the ones who didn't have a good excuse to not be there...turn in your uniforms!

The cheers for basketball need work, maybe something the band can drum or play along with? Go to some other college or high school games and see what you like from those games, see what the crowd goes along with. Try new ones out on us. Keep the spirit! biggrin.gif

How can the crowd take three cheerleaders seriously. If the cheerleaders are incapable of getting the crowd into it, they are not cheerleaders. When I see the entire squad at a game acting like they are organized and know what they are doing, I'll take them seriously. NCA or UCA Nationals are nice, but there is too much emphasis on gymnastics and precious little on crowd participation at games. If the majority of the squad cannot make a game none of the cheerleaders should be out there. It looks bush league. If the cheerleaders can't make the commitment to be at a majority of the games then they have no business being on the squad no matter how well they can do basket tosses, liberties, paper dolls, etc.

Zeke, thanks for showing me that other thread.  I think the ideas brought up were very interesting.  I especially like the OOOOHHHHH  Let's Go Mean Green FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!  I also think the comment about the spirit coordinator is very interesting.  We do have a Spirit Coordinator, her name is Jennifer Cloutier, she is also the coach for the UNT Dancers.  Also during football there were meeting involving the band director, the cheerleading coach, and Jennifer.  They all collaborated on what would happen but their talke were primarily directed at pregame stuff.

Thanks for looking over it CO. That kinda stuff is what we need. Quick/Short Cheers that get everyone involoved.

I am asking.....no I am begging, that these type of cheers are started at North Texas. They can be done at bball games this season to work out any kinks before they are done in front of 1,000's more people. I really think that that particular thread shows what most want out of our cheers/cheerleaders.