Which Outcome Is More Likely

8 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I never said that or implied that. Literally just stated facts. After you mentioned Hamilton and Bussey, you said "Just because we were the only ones smart enough to offer a player doesn't make them FCS level players."

The structure of your post implies that we were the only ones smart enough to offer Ladarius Hamilton and Rico Bussey, which was not the case. Especially when placed next to two players who were. Just making sure that fact is not lost.

Sorry about that. Thank you for correcting me.

• Upvote 1

I think the thing we must also realize is that it takes a special young man to commit to coming to a school that has historically downplayed athletics and not had a run of success since the 60's.  It takes a lot of character to want to be part of a change and go where many don't want to or are scared to try.  It is much easier to go off and be part of a class instead of committing here, being a leader, etc... 

12 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I do agree that the thing that hurts UNT the most is how it is viewed throughout the entire state.Either people have not heard of UNT,  they only know it as a school that is has been a loser for years, or being one of the more liberal arts schools in the state. It hurts UNT that when people see or hear UNT that they automatically think of it as a loser, or a back up plan. SL and his staff are changing that thought process of HS coaches thinking that, and the coaches are out there meeting with players and their families selling them on what UNT WILL BE and not what UNT HAS BEEN. 

From what has been said by Vito in his blogs, by JayD on the podcast is that HS coaches have made a shift in how UNT is viewed. It takes a lot of work to get rid of negative thoughts about UNT. Getting HS Coaches to buy in and accept and believe in HS is a major thing. HS Coaches are important because of the relationships and because they are very important in some of these players recruiting processes. I'm sure @GMG24 may know of how other coaches have seen a change between the old staff and this new one, and that he can also talk about the importance of HS Coaches in the recruiting process as well. 

Also, I wasn't on here or know much about the Mac recruiting, but from how people have talked it seemed like Mac and his staff didn't do much recruiting during the season and that they always played catch up nor did they seem to be as available as this current staff. If this is true, it doesn't help having coaches that stay on campus and ones who don't reach out as much as they should like this staff is. SL and his staff may not be "ACE" recruiters but SL is a very smart football mind and coach. 

Johnny Jones saw a big leap in recruiting TX HS talent after he had been here for several years and got us into the NCAA Tournament. I suspect that is how it will have to be here for SL or any other UNT head coach to change the perception that the program has. He's gonna have to win big and be here for several years to get us above UTSA or Texas State in the eyes of the coaches and parents.

UTSA, more than anyone else that is a G5 in this region except for UH, has the highest ceiling of anyone, because they are in a huge city with no competition, as well as because the media, alumni, current students, and residents in San Antonio have no reason to be down or apathetic to them. They haven't dropped their program down, they haven't used other windows within the university to promote the school, and they have used their location/stadium to get quality OOC teams to visit SA. To me, it would be a colossal shock if they weren't outrecruiting the rest of us in the SBCUSA, at a bare minimum. They have advantages that the rest of us don't...

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Johnny Jones saw a big leap in recruiting TX HS talent after he had been here for several years and got us into the NCAA Tournament. I suspect that is how it will have to be here for SL or any other UNT head coach to change the perception that the program has. He's gonna have to win big and be here for several years to get us above UTSA or Texas State in the eyes of the coaches and parents.

UTSA, more than anyone else that is a G5 in this region except for UH, has the highest ceiling of anyone, because they are in a huge city with no competition, as well as because the media, alumni, current students, and residents in San Antonio have no reason to be down or apathetic to them. They haven't dropped their program down, they haven't used other windows within the university to promote the school, and they have used their location/stadium to get quality OOC teams to visit SA. To me, it would be a colossal shock if they weren't outrecruiting the rest of us in the SBCUSA, at a bare minimum. They have advantages that the rest of us don't...

Preach! 

It's a tough schedule in that if our performance could be expected to match our standing as a university, there are 4 wins on it, barely. I'll be interested to see the new Forbes rankings when they come out maybe the first week of July, to see if we can vault the 3 spots needed to clear the mighty Tennessee Tech for example. That's sort of an esoteric benchmark (I go through Cookeville on my way to beautiful East TN.), but the point is, we are in the bottom sixth of major universities. The good news is, unlike the TN Techs of the world, we ARE a major university and have separated from some of the schools that used to be in our league. Now 4 of those CUSA schools on this schedule, years ago were in a league clearly at a higher level. But only one of those is below NT, and by one single spot. There is progress, but our competition ain't going to lay down and die. 

So you may have to remind me I said this, but as of today I suggest not to jump off the NT train if all you see is 4 wins this season. Put your eagle sticker on the window and show people you expect to be counted as in the game just like all the hog fans I see between here and there. Just know that at 268 they have every right to laugh at 553. Though in terms of 'major' universities, I only count about 35 between the two. We're comin' for 'em.  But vaulting that many major universities may take a century. Buy a lot of stickers.
  • Downvote 2

Unless we randomly take a huge step back or our competitors all take huge steps forward, with the schedule we have 7 is the more likely answer. And if we don't crap the bed during tight games I'm thinking 8.

• Upvote 1