Investing limited dollars in the right places

I know the indoor practice facility (IPF) is a high priority and there is a list of other brick and mortar types of expenditures after that.

Stumbled across an interesting article from Kirk Bohls which quoted the AD at Baylor in regards to where the p5 investment dollars seem to be flowing.  Hint: it's not for $10K lockers...

6. Baylor’s athletic director doesn’t think $10,000 locker rooms represent the next arms race in college football. No, Mack Rhoades thinks it’s social media and video technology. “There’s such a proliferation of stuff,” Rhoades said. “Everyone’s focused on that area. It’s about reaching out to recruits and marketing your program. It’s $20,000 video cameras, it’s editing systems. Everyone’s investing in technology.”

Seems to me that one of UNT's biggest natural strength are our numbers of alumni and grads.  The easiest and cheapest way to engage them would be through social media which is basically free.  We have an outstanding RTF/Graphic Design program and tons of talented students who would love to get work experience.  Perhaps, we should start looking at this as a higher priority than we have in the past.

17 hours ago, Harry said:

I know the indoor practice facility (IPF) is a high priority and there is a list of other brick and mortar types of expenditures after that.

Stumbled across an interesting article from Kirk Bohls which quoted the AD at Baylor in regards to where the p5 investment dollars seem to be flowing.  Hint: it's not for $10K lockers...

Seems to me that one of UNT's biggest natural strength are our numbers of alumni and grads.  The easiest and cheapest way to engage them would be through social media which is basically free.  We have an outstanding RTF/Graphic Design program and tons of talented students who would love to get work experience.  Perhaps, we should start looking at this as a higher priority than we have in the past.

I kind of think that goes without saying. Everything is moving to technology. Non social media technology is expensive, regardless of what kind of school programs are at disposal. Also, best believe that lockers, etc. will still be vital to these money-monger top 20 or 30 programs. They will not stop short of trying to out do or outperform or 1-up each other. Just expect personalized i-pads, giant wall sized monitors all over athletic complexes, and tons and tons of social media networking and graphic designing littered in literally every crevice that can be found.  For us, I think this actually may be a bad thing. These kids nowadays love stock piling "likes" and "thumbs up's". It makes them feel oh so important. We, as an athletic fan base, have a pretty small social media network that dig deep (or at all) into athletics. Not having a far athletic reach on social networking could've easily cost us Bradley. Right when UH offered, UH fans were assaulting him on twitter to the point that could've easily been the deciding factor for him. People want to go where they feel more wanted I guess. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 4/30/2017 at 11:26 PM, Harry said:

I have never understood why North Texas has never seemed to take advantage of the excellent educational programs it offers to benefit other departments such as athletics.  Athletics could have offered internships for years to kids in RTVF, Advertising, Marketing, Hospitality Management, Graphic Design, Retail Management, etc... at a benefit to all involved.  Why not capture the music crowd and have the One O'Clock Lab Band perform after a game?  The opportunities our limitless, and we could have been, or could be, ahead of the game in athletic promotions, uniform design, and so on.  It just appears from the outside to be a big opportunity lost.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I have never understood why North Texas has never seemed to take advantage of the excellent educational programs it offers to benefit other departments such as athletics.  Athletics could have offered internships for years to kids in RTVF, Advertising, Marketing, Hospitality Management, Graphic Design, Retail Management, etc... at a benefit to all involved.  Why not capture the music crowd and have the One O'Clock Lab Band perform after a game?  The opportunities our limitless, and we could have been, or could be, ahead of the game in athletic promotions, uniform design, and so on.  It just appears from the outside to be a big opportunity lost.

👏👏👏👏👏

• Upvote 1

Totally agreeed and been saying this for a while now. What the UNT athlete program needs to do is get with different programs inside of the school. plenty of students and programs would be more than willing to pitch in to do something if it meant students got REAL WORLD experience. 

We have students working on graphic design, have them design stuff for the sports for credit/ their portfolio. Have the Hospitality majors host them, have the TV students interview/ do highlights! Have students in marketing develop and think of new ways of reaching out to alumni/ graduating students. Heck, Sports Management students are more than willing to fill the ranks of all the sports. Students would do it for free, if they got credit or added to resumes/ portfolios and the school could even use funds from work-study as well. 

Also, I may just be completely drawing a blank and I am hope that I am. But pave noticed other University's have a campus/school twitter. Does UNT? I was searching and couldn't find anything outside of things like UNTsocial and that. I'm hoping I missed or was just overthinking this on twitter.

Do we have any idea about the IPF announcement?

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Totally agreeed and been saying this for a while now. What the UNT athlete program needs to do is get with different programs inside of the school. plenty of students and programs would be more than willing to pitch in to do something if it meant students got REAL WORLD experience. 

We have students working on graphic design, have them design stuff for the sports for credit/ their portfolio. Have the Hospitality majors host them, have the TV students interview/ do highlights! Have students in marketing develop and think of new ways of reaching out to alumni/ graduating students. Heck, Sports Management students are more than willing to fill the ranks of all the sports. Students would do it for free, if they got credit or added to resumes/ portfolios and the school could even use funds from work-study as well. 

Also, I may just be completely drawing a blank and I am hope that I am. But pave noticed other University's have a campus/school twitter. Does UNT? I was searching and couldn't find anything outside of things like UNTsocial and that. I'm hoping I missed or was just overthinking this on twitter.

Do we have any idea about the IPF announcement?

Hearing rumor that there is some Info being released at caravans.

• 4 years later...