MGB: UNT defensive line outlook for 2017

Brett Vito

All in all, not too worried about the DL group, especially with English at NT and a (hopefully) fully healthy Tillman Johnson at DE.

I really hope the Kevin Dillman experiment at DE works well... he's got the size and strength to be great - hopefully also has the speed and motor needed at DE.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

He's not on the roster as of now, and the last words mentioned about him by Littrell is that he's not on the team.    Can't put much faith in him right now.

some have heard he's going to join the team in the summer.  if so, i'd be excited to see English, Young and him out there at the same time.

i'm also wishing Dillman works out well there.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Green Crazy said:

some have heard he's going to join the team in the summer.  if so, i'd be excited to see English, Young and him out there at the same time.

i'm also wishing Dillman works out well there.

Yep.    Low-key optimism for sure... and I bet Vito knows about it.  
It's just hard to write about him as a journalist when the guy is not on the roster right now.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ForneyGreen said:

All in all, not too worried about the DL group, especially with English at NT and a (hopefully) fully healthy Tillman Johnson at DE.

I really hope the Kevin Dillman experiment at DE works well... he's got the size and strength to be great - hopefully also has the speed and motor needed at DE.

I really think that Dillman can be a true surprise. It may take him awhile to adjust, but he has the size and athleticism to be special at that position.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Eagleisland said:

I really think that Dillman can be a true surprise. It may take him awhile to adjust, but he has the size and athleticism to be special at that position.

Depends on the skill set returning from yet another injury. Interesting project to watch for sure.

16 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

so, no Hoston? or is he just not a for sure thing and Veto chose not to account for him because so?

Wouldn't count on it.

• Downvote 1

13 hours ago, djohnnie said:

I do believe Hoston will be here in the summer. That could change the D's fortunes in a hurry,  as long

as he can get used to the caliber of play and speed of the game quickly. GMG

So, as a walkon, can he not join the team for spring camp?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Harry said:

Have to go find a juco at defensive end.  Cannot seem to hit on high school prospects at this position anymore.

Hamilton?  Ozougwu?   I do agree, though, that DL has become more difficult to recruit over the years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not sure if anyone would consider this, but there is talk that Ole Miss could be getting a 2 year-post season ban. If they do get a 2-year ban, it opens it up for all players to transfer without penalty. 

Not sure if we have had any connections with players currently on that roster, but if the staff thinks they need someone, looking at Ole Miss maybe a good place to look.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18748815/hugh-freeze-ole-miss-rebels-defiance-lead-their-ncaa-downfall

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

If they do get a 2-year ban, it opens it up for all players to transfer without penalty. 

Those would be two separate sanctions.  And if they were to be hit with the transfer-without-penalty sanction, usually the players who take advantage of it are looking to upgrade in programs.

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Those would be two separate sanctions.  And if they were to be hit with the transfer-without-penalty sanction, usually the players who take advantage of it are looking to upgrade in programs.

oh okay, i had seen another report this morning by sporting news or bleacher report about that it was a possibly as well.. guess i misread it...

Only brought it up because of the # of Tx kids they had landed in the past few years