UTSA

outoftown

4 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

It was a preview weekend and that accounted for a fair number of people attending.

Yes, but there were not many folks in the seats reserved for the preview folks.  But, what does it matter why folks are there?  They were "rears in the seats" cheering for the Mean Green and buying popcorn and drinks.  UNT may be the only university going whose fans look for excuses to dismiss decent crowds.  Promotions are used at every level from high school to college to the pros to get rears in the seats and I don't recall seeing any asterisks on there attendance numbers. It wasn't preview day Thursday when I also witnessed a decent crowd...but, when mentioned, I think someone "qualified" that nice crowd by saying the little dribblers were there.  Don't recall that "qualification" being mentioned when the little dribblers were there for games in the JJ era.

Nice crowds are nice crowds...period.  Rears in the seats, however they get there, cheering for the Mean Green are fine with me.  Perhaps some newbies like what they see and come back.  Promotions that bring rears in the chairs are fine with me.  Every attendee counts..no asterisks here.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

15 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Yes, but there were not many folks in the seats reserved for the preview folks.  But, what does it matter why folks are there?  They were "rears in the seats" cheering for the Mean Green and buying popcorn and drinks.  UNT may be the only university going whose fans look for excuses to dismiss decent crowds.  Promotions are used at every level from high school to college to the pros to get rears in the seats and I don't recall seeing any asterisks on there attendance numbers. It wasn't preview day Thursday when I also witnessed a decent crowd...but, when mentioned, I think someone "qualified" that nice crowd by saying the little dribblers were there.  Don't recall that "qualification" being mentioned when the little dribblers were there for games in the JJ era.

Nice crowds are nice crowds...period.  Rears in the seats, however they get there, cheering for the Mean Green are fine with me.  Perhaps some newbies like what they see and come back.  Promotions that bring rears in the chairs are fine with me.  Every attendee counts..no asterisks here.

You said "way more than one might expect" and I provided a reasonable explanation for the difference between expected and actual attendance. 

I'm not sure why that caused you respond with a lengthy post and ask why it matters, but c'est la vie.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

You said "way more than one might expect" and I provided a reasonable explanation for the difference between expected and actual attendance. 

I'm not sure why that caused you respond with a lengthy post and ask why it matters, but c'est la vie.

Just pointing out that we have had some nice crowds in spite of the W/L record and some dire predictions that 100 or 500 would be attending games this season.   Each time I do someone t to qualify" the nice attendance some asterisk as if the nice attendance was only due to "the Little Dribblers" or "Preview Day".  Attendance has been much better than I expected this season overall.  Still a long long way from where it needs to be, but way above the "doom and glommers" predictions.

Just pointing out a positive...without a qualification to discredit "real" attendance.  That's all...no harm. no foul.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

On 2/19/2017 at 0:43 PM, rws69 said:

Frankly, I am very happy to have Ryan Woolridge playing at guard for UNT - eight steals against UTSA.

With a good coach, he is going to be something special. If we weren't missing a load of players already, I would sit Reese and Brown for the rest of the year and give all the touches to Woolridge and Lawson.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

With a good coach, he is going to be something special. If we weren't missing a load of players already, I would sit Reese and Brown for the rest of the year and give all the touches to Woolridge and Lawson.

Woolridge and Lawson are already seeing pretty significant minutes and have been getting lots of starts.

A.J. Lawson leads the team in scoring in average points per game (10.8) and and total points scored (282). He has 15 starts out of the 26 games played and has been averaging 22.2 minutes per game.

Ryan Woolridge leads in the team in steals (32) and is fifth on the team in scoring (171). He also just picked up his consecutive CUSA Freshman of the Week honors. Since he became active, he has been averaging 27.2 minutes per game and has started the last 6 games while playing in 17 games so far this season.

Sitting Reese means sitting the second leading scorer (263) on the team where he has been averaging 10.5 points per game and leads the team in assists (84) on an average of 27.8 minutes per game.

Edited by UNTFan23

11 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I dont think it would amount to any difference in next year. You wouldnt have to sit Brown. You could play Woolridge at the 1. Brown at 2. Lawson at 3. Sit Green & Reese. Although at this point when the season is lost just let those guys play.

Lawson, Brown, and Woolridge need to have big offseasons. They are going to be the guys that lead the team next year. Im not saying that Combs & Temara wont be significant contributors, but they wont be the keys to success. 

When on the floor Lawson takes 30% of the shots 92nd in NCAA. In CUSA play he takes 27.6% of the shots when playing. That is the 9th most in CUSA. 

1 minute ago, Mean_Green09 said:

I dont think it would amount to any difference in next year. You wouldnt have to sit Brown. You could play Woolridge at the 1. Brown at 2. Lawson at 3. Sit Green & Reese. Although at this point when the season is lost just let those guys play.

Lawson, Brown, and Woolridge need to have big offseasons. They are going to be the guys that lead the team next year. Im not saying that Combs & Temara wont be significant contributors, but they wont be the keys to success. 

When on the floor Lawson takes 30% of the shots 92nd in NCAA. In CUSA play he takes 27.6% of the shots when playing. That is the 9th most in CUSA. 

Sitting Green and Reese means you sit the #2 and #3 scorers on the team meaning you are taking about 20 potential points off the floor. I guess you start Brice in the place of Green alongside Temara? Brice has never played more than 25 minutes in a game this season.

11 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Sitting Green and Reese means you sit the #2 and #3 scorers on the team meaning you are taking about 20 potential points off the floor. I guess you start Brice in the place of Green alongside Temara? Brice has never played more than 25 minutes in a game this season.

True you could play Green at the 4. Which he has been playing mostly 

They are pretty much a 5 out offense anyways.

Im not saying they should sit anyone, bc it wouldnt make a difference in growth at this point.

Just now, Mean_Green09 said:

True you could play Green at the 4. Which he has been playing mostly 

They are pretty much a 5 out offense anyways.

Im not saying they should sit anyone, bc it wouldnt make a difference in growth at this point.

I agree, sitting seniors in favor of trying to give younger players won't make much difference, especially since the coaching staff won't be returning next year.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I don't recall seeing an announcement. I think Wren is still evaluating. Do you have some inside info?

Exactly what makes you think anyone from the current staff will be returning? Maybe it's the 8-18 overall record, making it the fourth losing season out of the five years Benford has been coach? How about the fact North Texas is likely to miss the Conference USA Basketball Tournament?

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Exactly what makes you think anyone from the current staff will be returning? Maybe it's the 8-18 overall record, making it the fourth losing season out of the five years Benford has been coach? How about the fact North Texas is likely to miss the Conference USA Basketball Tournament?

Exactly what would make any reasonable person think this staff would get a 5th full season?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Army of Dad said:

Exactly what would make any reasonable person think this staff would get a 5th full season?

Not giving Benford additional years falls on RV's shoulders. Replacing the staff late into the summer after workouts had already begun would have been a terrible idea.

• Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Question....will we see Brice back next season?

After this season, Brice will have three years left to play two. He's from Arlington, so it's tough to say if he'd move to another school if it meant playing away from family and friends.