170 games under .500

BillySee58

Excluding Jones by making it the last decade results is a little unfair  However, it would not significantly change the numbers.]

RV was unqualified and never should have been hired, but he didn't hire himself and extend his own contracts.   He actually has also hit on some good non-revenue sports hires and had horribles misses on others.  

I also doubt RV had much to do with Littrell, good or bad.   Mitchell hopefully will turn out great, but there were for more qualified coaches that could have been hired.     

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Excluding Jones by making it the last decade results is a little unfair  However, it would not significantly change the numbers.]

How is that unfair?

1. This sample size is 8 consecutively hired coaches spanning 24 seasons. 

2. Jones was hired almost 16 years ago and has been gone for half a decade. I'm trying to emphasize the state of our athletics and where the current metaphorical bar is going in to Wren's first big hire.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

How is that unfair?

1. This sample size is 8 consecutively hired coaches spanning 24 seasons. 

2. Jones was hired almost 16 years ago and has been gone for half a decade. I'm trying to emphasize the state of our athletics and where the current metaphorical bar is going in to Wren's first big hire.

And...before anyone asks...NO Wren Baker did not hire Seth Littrell.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

RV was the perfect guy for the BOR for a decade...he came in under budget, never caused a stink publically, and he glad-handed the BOR on a regular basis. Then, after hiring Todd Dodge, Dodge started losing badly, but he also kept reminding everyone that he was promised a new stadium. That stadium, due to the leadership of UNTFlyer, miraculously passed and the fee was set up, albeit at the much lower rate than others were charging in the state at public G5 schools. Then, RV, sensing the need for more insulation, with all of the colossal losing going on, got 17 people to pay for stuff and keep him protected. And it worked, until Portland State showed up and massacred us. The 17 bought out MCCarney immediately, but also began the process of tying the rope that would go over RV's neck. He swindled this place for years and was extended by that BOR for absolutely no other reason than staying in budget. These numbers aren't surprising. He couldn't fundraise, he couldn't hire good coaches for revenue sports, and he couldn't schedule for crap. At any other place in America, he would have been there as the AD for 3-4 years, tops. But here, he got 12. And it's damn near amazing that he isn't still here now--it's the FIRST time that I've seen this place put some effort toward athletics and I've only been around here since 1990...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 1/29/2017 at 1:46 PM, KRAM1 said:

And...before anyone asks...NO Wren Baker did not hire Seth Littrell.  

And UNT's refusal to fire RV at the same time as DMac led to an AD being saddled with a coach that he didn't pick.

Only at UNT is RV allowed to hang around for 15 years and then completely cut out of the coaching hire process and not fired.

You want to know why UNT continuously sucks? Look at great management decisions such as this. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

And UNT's refusal to fire RV at the same time as DMac led to an AD being saddled with a coach that he didn't pick.

Only at UNT is RV allowed to hang around for 15 years and then completely cut out of the coaching hire process and not fired.

You want to know why UNT continuously sucks? Look at great management decisions such as this. 

"Saddled with"?  These guys are both Okies and seem to be working extremely well together.  Could it be even remotely possible in your mind that Wren is very happy with Seth Littrell and is more than pleased with his selection even though Seth was hired prior to his arrival? Is that even a remote possibility for you?

So, you are saying the Littrell hire was a bad one just because it was a done before Wren got here?  Because in your mind it was a "bad management decision"? The early hire makes the Littrell hire a bad one?

Do I have this correct according to you?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

10 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

"Saddled with"?  These guys are both Okies and seem to be working extremely well together.  Could it be even remotely possible in your mind that Wren is very happy with Seth Littrell and is more than pleased with his selection even though Seth was hired prior to his arrival? Is that even a remote possibility for you?

So, you are saying the Littrell hire was a bad one just because it was a done before Wren got here?  Because in your mind it was a "bad management decision"? The early hire makes the Littrell hire a bad one?

Do I have this correct according to you?

Hiring a head coach before you hire an AD is idiotic and a terrible management decision. But UNT didn't have the balls to get rid of RV at the time. Another terrible management decision, as he was allowed to schedule a couple of more awful home football games between DMac's firing and his own. 

Has it occurred to you that you have zero freaking idea what Baker's true feelings are about Littrell? Because he would never, ever, tell you? Do you understand that?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

10 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Has it occurred to you that you have zero freaking idea what Baker's true feelings are about Littrell? Because he would never, ever, tell you? Do you understand that?

Ahem.....right back at ya!

And, of course, you didn't answer the question...rarely do.  You think the Littrell hire was a bad hire or not simply because Wren Baker didn't make it?  Let me make it really simple for you....Do you think the Seth Littrell hire was a good one or not?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

8 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Ahem.....right back at ya!

And, of course, you didn't answer the question...rarely do.  You think the Littrell hire was a bad hire or not simply because Wren Baker didn't make it?  Let me make it really simple for you....Do you think the Seth Littrell hire was a good one or not?

Jury is still out, but this recruiting class indicates that this may be a very bad hire.

And no crap. I obviously have zero idea how Baker feels about Littrell, but I promise you if he were to tell you his true feelings, he would tell you that he is very disappointed in this recruiting class.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4