How many road games will UNT win in 2016?

Matt from A700

How many road games will the Mean Green win this year?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. How many road games will the Mean Green win this year?

• ZERO
    • The Mean Green will win ALL the road games

I just can't see us beating Florida or WKU.

Army and UTEP I think are going to be bowl teams.  Army really needs this win to make sure they reach six.  UTEP will either be trying to make sure they don't end tier regular season on a flat note or (worse case) trying to get that 6th win.   Odds will be against us both cases.  

That leaves @Rice and @UTSA.  If either of those were in Denton I would move them to probable wins.  Our home schedule is killer this year.   Our remaining home games (MTSU, Marshall, LATech, USM) all look like bowl teams.    Since Rice and UTSA are away games, they are possible but not probable wins.

I've always thought this was a 2-3 win team.  I think we win one or two remaining on the road,  not sure we can beat anyone left on the home slate. 

Tangent:  I think the CUSA bowl teams this year are:

East:  WKU, Marshall, MTSu

West: USM, Latech, UTEP

Awesome, we get to play them all.  Miss out on ODU, FIU, FAU and Charlotte.  

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I don't think we "hammer" anyone this year, especially on the road. But insane optimism after a win over an FCS is what many on this board do. 

#nichollsstateneverforget

If my memories serves me correctly, I seem to recall that you thought the UNT/BC game would be close.  In fact, below is  your prediction from the thread you started regarding the BC game:

I think this game further shows just how shallow this team is. I do look for improved QB play, no matter who starts, and the defense better play MUCH better if UNT hopes to win. 

BC has a running QB similar to SMU's Davis. This will be a challenge for the defense, who looked like they were running in wet cement while chasing Davis all over the field. 

I think UNT scores more tha BC in a fairly high scoring affair.

Give me UNT 38 BC 31

Please, God.

It is not insane optimism after the win.  I predicted we would beat BC pretty handily, which we did.  Remove one ST mistake, a Morris Pic Six and a garbage time TD by Bethune Cookman and that is what occurred.  Even with the above mentioned , we still won by 21 points.  Considering Rice's dismal play and our improvement, I think a hammering of Rice should be expected.  Then again, defeating your insane pessimism is a fruitless endeavor.  #RVandMacaregone

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I expect us to beat both Rice and UTSA and have an upset win in one of our remaining home games.  La Tech could be ripe for the picking depending on how the hold up as we will be their ninth consecutive game without a bye.  If we are healthy and continue to improve, then this could be our surprise win.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Army of Dad said:

And all of that fans that would travel to see them?

(just pointing out something we might not like if we had them at home, especially in a rebuilding year)

I would gladly trade 2k in attendance for 2 more wins this year.  Gives the coaching staff much more to sell to recruits.  

27 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I just can't see us beating Florida or WKU.

Army and UTEP I think are going to be bowl teams.  Army really needs this win to make sure they reach six.  UTEP will either be trying to make sure they don't end tier regular season on a flat note or (worse case) trying to get that 6th win.   Odds will be against us both cases.  

That leaves @Rice and @UTSA.  If either of those were in Denton I would move them to probable wins.  Our home schedule is killer this year.   Our remaining home games (MTSU, Marshall, LATech, USM) all look like bowl teams.    Since Rice and UTSA are away games, they are possible but not probable wins.

I've always thought this was a 2-3 win team.  I think we win one or two remaining on the road,  not sure we can beat anyone left on the home slate. 

Tangent:  I think the CUSA bowl teams this year are:

East:  WKU, Marshall, MTSu

West: USM, Latech, UTEP

Awesome, we get to play them all.  Miss out on ODU, FIU, FAU and Charlotte.  

I agree completely here. We have two teams left that are possible wins (Rice and UTSA), in my opinion. Rice looks like the best chance right now, just because its early and they have looked absolutely horrible. I fear that the UTSA game will be at a point when our depth issues start to really show up, not to mention their revenge factor from last season's ridiculous loss to us.

But, again, if we pull off both of those two games on the road, and that gets us to 3 wins, I'll pronounce Seth Littrell as the best hire we have had here since Corky Nelson. Because if he pulls that off from what he inherited, it will be a great sign for our short-term future and his long-term future...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

If my memories serves me correctly, I seem to recall that you thought the UNT/BC game would be close.  In fact, below is  your prediction from the thread you started regarding the BC game:

Myself and many others. Glad to be wrong about that. 

It doesn't change the fact that this team has 72 scholarship players, will be playing a true freshman QB who will struggle, sometimes mightily, in upcoming games against much better competition, and who won't face another FCS all year. 

We won't be able to run for 345 yards against Rice, UTSA, or UTEP. But I will say that if we somehow manage that number, we should win. 

Fine's passing numbers were pedestrian last week. 50% completion rate for just over 100 yards against an FCS. And that's Fine. He is going to struggle. He is a true freshman.

But you sunshine pumped seek to think the BC game has some cosmic meaning. It doesn't. It's good to get a win, but this is still the same football team that was manhandlied by SMU. It's the same team that STILL has QB issues (this year). 

I bet you predicted UNT to lose by less than 25 to Florida. It's just rah rah BS. 

UNT time comes in 2018. This team needs A LOT more talent than what is in the roster to win 3 CUSA road games. 

But have your moment in the sun, as I was 14 points off on the Butt Cookman score. The fact that you feel the need to point it out is like a small child going "see see" when they finally catch their parent doing something wrong after trying for weeks just highlights how consistently right I have been about this program. Lol.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, rws69 said:

Both QB's got plenty of reps against BCU. Fine clearly had a better performance than Morris. Would we be 2-0, or at least have a closer game against SMU, if Fine had started?

No. SMU dominated that game from start to finish. 

At least those that think this is a rivalry can "celebrate" in the fact that Matt Davis was knocked out for the year with a torn ACL against UNT.

That is until they realize he will probably get a redshirt and UNT will see him again next year...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

No. SMU dominated that game from start to finish. 

At least those that think this is a rivalry can "celebrate" in the fact that Matt Davis was knocked out for the year with a torn ACL against UNT.

That is until they realize he will probably get a redshirt and UNT will see him again next year...

SMU did dominate that game for the most part but if you put Fine in there, do we throw 3 interceptions? Does he check out of a running play to throw an interception on 4th and 1 keeping in mind that SMU scored a TD on that drive. While I agree that SMU dominated for the most part, SMU scored 10 points off 2 interceptions of the 3 interceptions. 

I don't think you can say for certain that game wouldn't have had a different outcome had Fine started. He hasn't been the best on pass plays, but he sure has managed the game well and added the element of a mobile QB to handle for opposing defenses. We don't know but as of right now, nothing indicates starting Fine against SMU would have resulted in a worst score. The question is, how much better would the score have been.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

SMU did dominate that game for the most part but if you put Fine in there, do we throw 3 interceptions? Does he check out of a running play to throw an interception on 4th and 1 keeping in mind that SMU scored a TD on that drive. While I agree that SMU dominated for the most part, SMU scored 10 points off 2 interceptions of the 3 interceptions. 

I don't think you can say for certain that game wouldn't have had a different outcome had Fine started. He hasn't been the best on pass plays, but he sure has managed the game well and added the element of a mobile QB to handle for opposing defenses. We don't know but as of right now, nothing indicates starting Fine against SMU would have resulted in a worst score. The question is, how much better would the score have been.

I think Fine makes freshman mistakes against SMU and quite possibly has MORE pics than Morris.

Fine completed exactly 50% of his passes against a FAR inferior defense in Butt Cookman. And he had a stellar running game to help out.

UNT couldn't run the ball against SMU at all.

Don't make the mistake of thinking Fine will be able to do everything he did against Cookman (which really wasn't that much) when he faces a different level of competition. 

That's not fair to Fine or yourself. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Myself and many others. Glad to be wrong about that. 

It doesn't change the fact that this team has 72 scholarship players, will be playing a true freshman QB who will struggle, sometimes mightily, in upcoming games against much better competition, and who won't face another FCS all year. 

We won't be able to run for 345 yards against Rice, UTSA, or UTEP. But I will say that if we somehow manage that number, we should win. 

Fine's passing numbers were pedestrian last week. 50% completion rate for just over 100 yards against an FCS. And that's Fine. He is going to struggle. He is a true freshman.

But you sunshine pumped seek to think the BC game has some cosmic meaning.[\b] It doesn't. It's good to get a win, but this is still the same football team that was manhandlied by SMU. It's the same team that STILL has QB issues (this year). 

I bet you predicted UNT to lose by less than 25 to Florida. It's just rah rah BS. 

UNT time comes in 2018. This team needs A LOT more talent than what is in the roster to win 3 CUSA road games. 

But have your moment in the sun, as I was 14 points off on the Butt Cookman score. The fact that you feel the need to point it out is like a small child going "see see" when they finally catch their parent doing something wrong after trying for weeks just highlights how consistently right I have been about this program. Lol.

Just can't resist, can you?

Where did I sunshine pump anything?  Just pointed out the win, because I believe it will be a similar ending at RIce.

I point out your prediction to prove the point of how far off you were.  I predicted we would be Bethune Cookman going away, which we did, but you even have to twist that around now to pump sunshine up you own end to make you feel better.  Keep beating your chest.  I also pointed it out to show that you basically are predicting the same result against Rice.  #youshouldhavehigherexpectations  #summerseve  #harambe

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Just can't resist, can you?

Where did I sunshine pump anything?  Just pointed out the win, because I believe it will be a similar ending at RIce.

I point out your prediction to prove the point of how far off you were.  I predicted we would be Bethune Cookman going away, which we did, but you even have to twist that around now to pump sunshine up you own ass to make you feel better.  Keep beating your chest.  I also pointed it out to show that you basically are predicting the same result against Rice.  #youshouldhavehigherexpectations  #summerseve  #harambe

I think you have crossed the line. It'll be interesting to see if the mods keep their word or if there is a double standard for people who continually bait and insult me. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

10 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I think Fine makes freshman mistakes against SMU and quite possibly has MORE pics than Morris.

Fine completed exactly 50% of his passes against a FAR inferior defense in Butt Cookman. And he had a stellar running game to help out.

UNT couldn't run the ball against SMU at all.

Don't make the mistake of thinking Fine will be able to do everything he did against Cookman (which really wasn't that much) when he faces a different level of competition. 

That's not fair to Fine or yourself. 

I'm not expecting Fine to do the same or better against better (I'll say it) competition. Like I said, he hasn't been the best on pass plays. I just don't think you can say for certain he would have been worst. I mean, throwing 3 interceptions against SMU is pretty poor already. I think where Fine would have changed the game is the excitement he brings to the team and the running element. As I said, you don't what would have happened. What we do know is we went heavy on the run against BC and it worked. We went pass heavy against SMU and it didn't work. In hindsight, if we would have started Fine against SMU, we probably would have gone run heavy and that's where our strength is. The outcome might not have been different, but it probably would have been a closer game. Who knows. Time will tell how much better, if at all, Fine is than Morris. As of right now, there is nothing that indicates starting Fine would have been worst.

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'm not expecting Fine to do the same or better against better (I'll say it) competition. Like I said, he hasn't been the best on pass plays. I just don't think you can say for certain he would have been worst. I mean, throwing 3 interceptions against SMU is pretty poor already. I think where Fine would have changed the game is the excitement he brings to the team and the running element. As I said, you don't what would have happened. What we do know is we went heavy on the run against BC and it worked. We went pass heavy against SMU and it didn't work. In hindsight, if we would have started Fine against SMU, we probably would have gone run heavy and that's where our strength is. The outcome might not have been different, but it probably would have been a closer game. Who knows. Time will tell how much better, if at all, Fine is than Morris. As of right now, there is nothing that indicates starting Fine would have been worst.

You could very right or very wrong. Point is we will never know. 

Let's just hope he grows and learns in future games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

I think you have crossed the line. It'll be interesting to see if the mods keep their word or if there is a double standard for people who continually bait and insult me. 

#comedygold  #potmeetkettle

So, back on topic, I strongly believe that Rice and UNT are programs heading in opposite directions.  Because of this, I think we beat them by at least 17 if we stay healthy through Florida.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Week off for both of you.    People are really tired of the personal back and forth.   Use this time to either challenge each other to a duel, work out your issues via a PM, or perhaps take up transcendental meditation.

Wait,
Are you telling me that it will be an entire week before I read a UNT90 post?

tumblr_n2xbcoKEMD1s9816mo2_r1_500.gif

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1