MGB: Follow-up thoughts on UNT scheduling FCS opponents

Brett Vito

3 minutes ago, casual fan said:

Winning is #1.

Not losing is #2.

Losing to a ranked P5 isn't a moral victory.  It's just another L on the record.  

How many games you win is far more important than who you lost to.

Number of wins are ALWAYS more important than strength of schedule. SOS is used to break ties in the number of wins. As you pointed out, a few more people came to see Nichols State than Indiana. 

6 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

The bolded is a flat out lie. You are lying to people on this topic because you have taken an indefensible position in defense of a friend, and can't admit UNT scheduling sucks balls. That's right, on this topic, you are an outright liar.

I have proven time and again that UNT doesn't schedule like other conference foes. EVERY CONFERENCE FOE except one has P5s scheduled at home in the immediate future. NO CONFERENCE FOES have 6 straight years of FCS home games. But you pick and choose to suit your narrative and literally ignore opposing opinions. It's childish.

I have disagreed with many on this board and have never blocked one Mean Green fan. Some people are afraid of differing ideas and avoid confrontation. Grow a pair. 

I haven't figured out why it is that some fans cannot stand for anyone to point it out how bad things have been?  Human nature I suppose?

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

55 minutes ago, casual fan said:

Winning is #1.

Not losing is #2.

Losing to a ranked P5 isn't a moral victory.  It's just another L on the record.  

I think this brings up another important point. Instead of worrying about us bringing in the P5's to Apogee for the hopes of a Baylor of Indiana win at home repeat. Let's start getting wins against our conference foes. I'm so tired of living in LA Tech and Marshal's shadow. That to me is tied at #1..

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

I haven't figured out why it is that some fans cannot stand for anyone to point it out how bad things have been?  Human nature I suppose?

Rick

It's agendas. And accepting losing as long as you can BBQ before a game. 

Completely dysfuntional and another reason most alums stay the hell away. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I think this brings up another important point. Instead of worrying about us bringing in the P5's to Apogee for the hopes of a Baylor of Indiana win at home repeat. Let's start getting wins against our conference foes. I'm so tired of living in LA Tech and Marshal's shadow. That to me is tied at #1..

Yes, winning conference games, especially against teams in our division, will help build both our team and our conference. That's how the MWC was built. 

1 hour ago, casual fan said:

Winning is #1.

Not losing is #2.

I think you forgot #3: Don't tie anyone.  

Winning + Leadership that can exploit winning = success.

We haven't had both since we have returned to 1A.   Even when we did win, it wasn't exploited.  You need no further proof than to see season ticket sales FELL after the 2013 bowl win.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I think you forgot #3: Don't tie anyone.  

Winning + Leadership that can exploit winning = success.

We haven't had both since we have returned to 1A.   Even when we did win, it wasn't exploited.  You need no further proof than to see season ticket sales FELL after the 2013 bowl win.  

Yep, except that season ticket number wasn't released for a long time.

One of the things I am hoping for with a new AD is a lot more transparency. The last AD tried to hide the crap job he was doing by never releasing numbers, except the very few that were favorable to him. I hope transparency in season ticket sales, MGC membership, and large donations (the donor doesn't have to be named if they choose so) is one of the items addressed at the fan meeting. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Please show me a team that built a winner playing body bag games? 

3 hours ago, casual fan said:

I think I might have missed a dot in here.

Because someone like me (however I'm not anti-FCS, I'm just anti-dependency on FCS) would like to either reduce the number of FCS opponents, or try to get a P5 at home, doesn't automatically mean we want to schedule a ranked opponent at home or some body bag game at home just to get it on the schedule.

There's just a frustration that exists about the lack of good, tv-worthy scheduling. I am surprised we didn't sign a 10-game deal with Texas Southern.

----------------------------------------------

When's the next opportunity to schedule a home game? When the Army series ends? Hope the next AD shows what he can do, and I'm working under the assumption that we won't be dead last in FBS by then.

5 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Because someone like me (however I'm not anti-FCS, I'm just anti-dependency on FCS) would like to either reduce the number of FCS opponents, or try to get a P5 at home, doesn't automatically mean we want to schedule a ranked opponent at home or some body bag game at home just to get it on the schedule.

There's just a frustration that exists about the lack of good, tv-worthy scheduling. I am surprised we didn't sign a 10-game deal with Texas Southern.

When's the next opportunity to schedule a home game? When the Army series ends? Hope the next AD shows what he can do, and I'm working under the assumption that we won't be dead last in FBS by then.

Nope.  We have already scheduled a H/H with Memphis after the Army series ends.

Interestingly, it appears Army is in the midst of an extended CUSA swing.  I noticed Army is on the schedule of several CUSA teams in the upcoming years.

12 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Nope.  We have already scheduled a H/H with Memphis after the Army series ends.

Interestingly, it appears Army is in the midst of an extended CUSA swing.  I noticed Army is on the schedule of several CUSA teams in the upcoming years.

Ah right right. I'm ok with the Memphis deal. They're on the rise, and hopefully by then we will be competitive.

Now we need to schedule more of those and do away with series.

3 hours ago, Aldo said:

A home and home with Texas Tech, Baylor, or TCU would be ideal.  Home and home against Houston or Texas State would also be good.

Until we can schedule better, we must beat every FCS team we see.  

I really think Littrell and company are doing some good things on the recruiting front, all things considered.  They may surprise people.

On 6/17/2016 at 7:57 PM, Side Show Joe said:

I have to disagree with this article. RV's crappy scheduling philosophy of playing a body-bag game on the road has been in place for 15 years, and his addition of trying to buy FCS wins at home, has been in place for a few years now, and neither is working. The overall results just don't support this strategy. 1 winning season in the last decade proves it.

We field an FBS team. Our primary focus needs to be on building a program that consistently beats other FBS level teams. If our coaches can't do that, then our primary focus needs to be on holding people accountable and hiring the right people that will win at our level, not lowering our expectations in the scheduling just to fluff up our record. Even had we beaten Portland State last season, in our "buy-an FCS-win" attempt, our record would still have been 2-10.

It should be very simple. Schedule home and home series with other FBS level programs. This isn't rocket science.

Actually RV cut down the number of guarantee games (I hate the term body bag games) from the Helwig days.   I do like many's scheduling ideas that seem to never consider the financial aspects of the situation.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Actually RV cut down the number of guarantee games (I hate the term body bag games) from the Helwig days.   I do like many's scheduling ideas that seem to never consider the financial aspects of the situation.   

The financial aspect is we had a lazy AD who didn't raise enough money to schedule like freaking Arkansas St.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2