Another Shoe Drops At Baylor

EagleMBA

23 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

One of the benefits of an independent alumni association, one that has alumni (and not university, faculty, staff, leadership, or student) concerns as their primary priorities.

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

Me thinks the alumni association better be careful what it wishes for.

26 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Why?  It will come out sooner or later.  Might as well get it out all at once and let the healing begin instead of having it fester for years.

Also, Baylor alums (rather than administration) only benefit by trying to avoid a Penn State style stigma. Baylor the school probably suffers a bit for the next 5-10 years if it all comes out in the open. Baylor the degree doesn't. The damage is minimized for alums, potentially worsened for the school

Again, one of the situations where the interests of alumni are not identical to the interests of university leadership and administration. And, in these situations, it must be nice to have a strong, vocal, fully independent and empowered association representing and fighting for alumni interests. Most schools don't have it. Whatever I may dislike about Baylor, I'm very impressed by their alumni association. 

27 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Why?  It will come out sooner or later.  Might as well get it out all at once and let the healing begin instead of having it fester for years.

This. IMO its the best way for Baylor alumni to distance themselves from the crap that went on and place blame where it is deserved. I can imagine that Baylor alumni are still feeling shock and horror after this second round of unpleasantness in the last thirteen years or so. I certainly know how I would feel if it was UNT being drug through the mud.

I'll give Ken Starr credit. He knew or should have understood the Federal perjury law well enough to know there was absolutely no chance of Clinton being convicted in a court of law and took his case to a place where laws don't really matter, the US Congress. Parlayed that into presidency of one of the most conservative colleges in California (seriously who moves from Malibu to Waco?). 

In public relations you learn that if there is bad news you have to assume it is going to be public and it is up to you whether it becomes an expose by an investigative reporter or you announce it and get to shape the message.

In theology you should understand the power of confession (unsurprising the Baylor Alumni Association understands that).

Baylor needs to get the full report out because someone is going to sue. There will be a subpoena for the report and it will end up being public. Why wait for the report to be released under court order in a year or two shining the ugly spotlight back on Baylor. Get it out there and get it over with.

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Painting with a broad brush?

Probably. It is definitely the way many of them, that got got caught, seemed to operate, but as was pointed out most organizations operate this way. 

Guess I am just tired of seeing yet another organization prove that they are no better than those they frequently snub their noses at. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

If you want to see what actually goes into prosecuting one of the Baylor rapists and how so many things can get messed up by poor quality work by a number of individuals, read this:

http://www.tdcaa.com/journal/pushing-past-red-tape-getting-truth

Its also a great example why NO ONE should ever jump to conclusion before a criminal investigation is complete.

• Upvote 4