Dalton Santos transferring from UT

Cr1028

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

The fact that he chose a conference rival and UNT was no where near the competition shows how low this program is compared to the La. Tech's of CUSA.

Hustler hustling.

Well, one is winning and the other is not.    

Had this same decision been made after the 2013 season, (and the departure of 2 of our 3 starting LBs) I'm confident the result would have been flipped.

Just need to win.

Its not that hard to see...La Tech has been a fairly successful program for a long time at football and regularly turns out NFL talent, plus they have a coach who has accomplished stuff as a head coach in Skip Holtz. Plus, Ruston and La Tech students and alumni actually like football.

Sorry to break your heart if you think we should have been in that hunt, but that was never gonna happen with Santos.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

The fact that he chose a conference rival and UNT was no where near the competition shows how low this program is compared to the La. Tech's of CUSA.

Hustler hustling.

Maybe because we are stacked at linebacker and La Tech graduated all three? Just stating the facts.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Hide and watch. He'll end up making 1st team CUSA for Tech this coming season.

As someone who grew up with Texas season tickets I wish nothing but the best for the kid, but he could not stay healthy.  And on top of that, he went from being a starter in 2013 to being on the bench in 2014 when he was healthy.   

" In 2013, he moved into the starting lineup for seven games and finished fourth on the team with 74 tackles. However, the 2014 season saw Santos struggle to stay healthy or earn playing time behind Steve Edmond, so he only made 11 tackles and no disruptive plays (tackles for loss, sacks, interceptions, or forced fumbles). "

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2016/5/17/11692862/dalton-santos-louisiana-tech-bulldogs-transfer-texas-longhorns 

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Well, one is winning and the other is not.    

Had this same decision been made after the 2013 season, (and the departure of 2 of our 3 starting LBs) I'm confident the result would have been flipped.

Just need to win.

Really? Show me the huge influx of transfer talent after 2013. It's non-existent. 

Some places run FBS football programs and demand accountability, some places are the University of North Texas.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

11 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Really? Show me the huge influx of transfer talent after 2013. It's non-existent. 

Some places run FBS football programs and demand accountability, some places are the University of North Texas.

I really have to wonder if you are actually paying attention to what is happening in the athletic department outside of anything related to RV.

Did you not see the "we made it" attitude from the coaching staff after that 2013 season?  Kicking their feet up, not doing much (outside of Perry & KP)?   ... It eventually led to a 66-7 shellacking on homecoming by an FCS team because the team finally quit on them.   In McCarney's mind, there was no need to bring in any outside talent because "we made it."

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I really have to wonder if you are actually paying attention to what is happening in the athletic department outside of anything related to RV.

Did you not see the "we made it" attitude from the coaching staff after that 2013 season?  Kicking their feet up, not doing much (outside of Perry & KP)?   ... It eventually led to a 66-7 shellacking on homecoming by an FCS team because the team finally quit on them.   In McCarney's mind, there was no need to bring in any outside talent because "we made it."

This. So much this.

This is also where I think Littrell's experience at Indiana and North Carolina will come in handy. North Carolina was in the ACC championship last year and almost in the CFP(barring other factors if they won), and still North Carolina is a basketball school first and foremost. Probably always will be. He was never at a program that kicked their feet up because there was always some other factors that had to be overcome. Mac was so old, and so senile that he thought "Dallas, Florida, Iowa, Heart of Dallas, Win, No try anymore, Head back, feet up, national championship, why not North Texas, recruiting, nah, collect paycheck" on loop over and over again. He thoroughly convinced himself one bowl win would solve every problem that North Texas ever faced in football. Littrell is not this naive

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

This. So much this.

This is also where I think Littrell's experience at Indiana and North Carolina will come in handy. North Carolina was in the ACC championship last year and almost in the CFP(barring other factors if they won), and still North Carolina is a basketball school first and foremost. Probably always will be. He was never at a program that kicked their feet up because there was always some other factors that had to be overcome. Mac was so old, and so senile that he thought "Dallas, Florida, Iowa, Heart of Dallas, Win, No try anymore, Head back, feet up, national championship, why not North Texas, recruiting, nah, collect paycheck" on loop over and over again. He thoroughly convinced himself one bowl win would solve every problem that North Texas ever faced in football. Littrell is not this naive

McCarney's downfall here is really do to three things:

1.) He couldn't recruit talent here because we played an offensive style that was in vogue in the 40s.

2.) He believed and trusted McNulty as his starter at QB to run said offense, when it was obvious that most FCS schools had a better starter than him

3.) His stroke and his overall health sure didn't help him--it actually made recruiting against us easier than taking candy from a baby...

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Remind me... who did McCarney report to? Who was there for the day by day of accountability?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Christopher Walker said:

Remind me... who did McCarney report to? Who was there for the day by day of accountability?

McCarney reported to Rick Villareal.  You're right, I guess I wasn't looking far enough ahead.  

OR

Maybe NONE OF US are looking far enough up the chain.    
Who does RV report to?  Neal Smatresk.  
Who does Smatty report to?  Lee Jackson.  
Who does Lee report to?  The BOR.  
Who do they report to?   The Governor of Texas.  
Who does Abbott report to?   The people of the State of Texas!    

That's right folks.  If you're a Texan, YOU are the reason UNT Athletics is in the crapper!!  Congratulations.

Thanks for the eye-opening revelation Christopher!

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Did we even recruit him?  Did our coaches look at his history and decided he wasn't worth the risk due to injuries and reduced production?  If the answer to either of these questions is yes, then we didn't lose out to La. Tech.  Maybe they were just more desperate to fill a position of need than we were and were wiloing to take the risk. Just a thought, or opinion, but those aren't facts according to some on here that spend all their time spouting opinions.

I seem to recall how excited we were over some P5 transfers in the past, the WR's from OU and UT for example, that never panned out. How about looking at this without an agenda and trusting our new coaching staff?

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Stacked at linebacker? Did you watch UNT football last year?

Opinion isn't "facts."

Unfortunately I did see LB play. This class we signed 3 JC LBs and the two more DE could also play the hybrid LB. I think a grad transfer wants to make sure he plays. I would like to see more transfers period! Like a Mr English! GMG

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Or McCarkey just gave up because he realized he having to be AD/Advertising/Head Coach all in one.

I mean, it led to him having some pretty well documented problems.

About as feasible as your conjecture.

56 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Unfortunately I did see LB play. This class we signed 3 JC LBs and the two more DE could also play the hybrid LB. I think a grad transfer wants to make sure he plays. I would like to see more transfers period! Like a Mr English! GMG

So you are saying we are deep because we have a bunch of guys that have never played a snap of FBS college ball? Got it.

Rah rah rah, sis boom bah...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5