Cordcutters will be happy

Just now, flyingeagle12 said:

How are you watching Sling? On your computer or TV? Thinking about switching over and doing the multi-stream as well. Option right now is just through an app on Xbox one. Reading online it is confusing. Can I download an app via smart TV?

I'm using a Roku stick 

23 hours ago, Aldo said:

The awesome part about Prime is that you can stream a ton of music on top of movies and tv shows. The free 2-day shipping is REALLY nice, and you can make and share wishlists (how our family does gift shopping now).

You can buy a digital movie from Amazon and stream it anywhere. If Netflix doesn't have it, you have to get the dvd service, or buy the movie elsewhere.

But the movies/tv selection overlaps slightly with Netflix and is not as extensive.

For us, Prime movies/tv shows are secondary to music, shipping, recurring purchases (diapers, wipes, dog treats), and wish lists.

* Recurring purchases are stuff that gets automatically shipped to our house once a month, and we get 15% off cost for multiple recurring purchases.

So Netflix is purely a giant - and good - selection of tv shows and movies that gets added to or cycled every month, and Prime is more of a lifestyle thing.

I agree with this a lot

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

OJ and Ray Lewis didn't work for ESPN and get canned for posting something that counters the views of ESPN/ABC/Disney.  What he posted was about is a very hot button issue and he should have known that there could have been blow back.

Actions have consequences.

I never said OJ and Lewis worked for ESPN...(although there are numerous examples of others working for or in connection with the network that got away with controversial comments),..I asked do you think espn will cut out footage of OJ or Lewis' past sports accomplishments whenever segments that include them run on air as it has now done with Schilling?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On the edits ESPN made, I have been the guy who had to make cuts to a TV for time before. When you are doing this, most production companies give you two very specific guidelines: 1. the edited program MUST fit the new time and 2. you must do this with as few edits and as quickly as possible because no one wants to spend money and time on making a fill program perfect. While it's very possible there was a political motive behind this, the more likely case is the Schilling segment was very close to the exact duration of cut needed and it could be removed the fastest. Again, I'm not saying there was no political motive. But I don't know of any TV company that spends a penny more on a filer segment than is absolutely required. The whole idea of the filler segment is to fill time as cheaply as possible - if you don't want it cheap you'd do a live segment. 

Yes, Schilling was pulled off the air as a commentator because of his comments. Comments can effect ratings which mean dollars and ESPN is laying off people to save any dollars they can. But then spending extra money to make a political statement just doesn't make (dollars and) cents. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, flyingeagle12 said:

How are you watching Sling? On your computer or TV? Thinking about switching over and doing the multi-stream as well. Option right now is just through an app on Xbox one. Reading online it is confusing. Can I download an app via smart TV?

It's absolutely on roku, so while I don't have a smart TV, I'd assume it must be available.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

On the edits ESPN made, I have been the guy who had to make cuts to a TV for time before. When you are doing this, most production companies give you two very specific guidelines: 1. the edited program MUST fit the new time and 2. you must do this with as few edits and as quickly as possible because no one wants to spend money and time on making a fill program perfect. While it's very possible there was a political motive behind this, the more likely case is the Schilling segment was very close to the exact duration of cut needed and it could be removed the fastest. Again, I'm not saying there was no political motive. But I don't know of any TV company that spends a penny more on a filer segment than is absolutely required. The whole idea of the filler segment is to fill time as cheaply as possible - if you don't want it cheap you'd do a live segment. 

Yes, Schilling was pulled off the air as a commentator because of his comments. Comments can effect ratings which mean dollars and ESPN is laying off people to save any dollars they can. But then spending extra money to make a political statement just doesn't make (dollars and) cents. 

Think ESPN would ever cut any film connected to convicted rapist Mike Tyson for his comments made on ESPN Radio about Sarah Palin?

....."Glen Rice is a wonderful man,” Tyson said. “He’s a wonderful guy. You want her to be with somebody like [Dennis] Rodman getting up … in there. Pushing her guts up in the back of her head!”

Tyson went on to say that Rice was too “non-threatening.”

“Glen Rice is a nice, mellow, docile man, non-threatening guy,” he said. “You want someone like Rodman — yeah baby! Let’s get that donkey in here now. [laughter] Just imagine Palin with a big old black stallion ripping. Yeehaw!”

I doubt it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

You're talking about two totally unrelated things. The Red Soxs/Yankees video was being used as filler material. It has to be cheap to be filler so you cut at the easiest spot to make the film work as cheap filler. When using filler around an event, the filler needs to be at least somewhat relevant to the event. Thus the Red Sox/Yankees filler around their  game. I can't think of sporting event to which a Mike Tyson film would be relevant. He's so far removed from boxing these days he doesn't count. 

When cutting down programming for PBS national pledge shows, I have cut out programming directly related to the title of the program when one cut would make it fit and the alternative would take most of a day to make work. Money is the driver. 

BTW, I didn't give you the negative on your post! 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

You're talking about two totally unrelated things. The Red Soxs/Yankees video was being used as filler material. It has to be cheap to be filler so you cut at the easiest spot to make the film work as cheap filler. When using filler around an event, the filler needs to be at least somewhat relevant to the event. Thus the Red Sox/Yankees filler around their  game. I can't think of sporting event to which a Mike Tyson film would be relevant. He's so far removed from boxing these days he doesn't count. 

When cutting down programming for PBS national pledge shows, I have cut out programming directly related to the title of the program when one cut would make it fit and the alternative would take most of a day to make work. Money is the driver. 

Thank you for all of your insight to network programming.  I really appreciate it.

24 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

The point is...and you nailed it earlier,..it was a political move and there was 17 minutes of the 30 for 30 segment about the Red Sox World Series that was suddenly cut out because of a political stance.  They would never do that for a similar segment concerning OJ, Ray Lewis or Tyson....who all committed much more worse deeds than pointing out a rediculous law concerning someone' genitalia.

Rick

• Upvote 2