Coaches Show Thoughts

MGNation92

I saw at least 10 separate tweets from various NT related accounts announcing this over the last few days, in addition to the weekly email that came today. I couldn't make it...would have loved to score the sandstone NT coasters!

Listened on the radio and heard a much more comfortable coach, an audience that was engaged and laughing with the coach. Glad to hear your in person thoughts were consistent with what I thought I was hearing.

GMG

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Don't know if anyone else went to the coaches show(I don't know many faces from the board) but I wanted to offer a few thoughts:

Very exciting time at Rudy's. You could tell there was an excitement in the air for the new coaching staff, spring game, and upcoming season. Coach Littrell seemed much more relaxed than in previous speaking opportunities and Dave, as always, was great. One humongous difference in this staff is the energy they all bring to the table. I swear all of them look like they could put on pads and a helmet and play tomorrow. Lots of energy from them.

My biggest takeaway was the overall will to win. These guys don't seem to care about anything but how they can win games. Ekeler seems like he and Reffett will make formidable duo in coaching schemes and principles, and Harrell is a chip off the old Mike Leach block. Admittedly I was a bit starstruck with Harrell as I grew up in West Texas watching him sling it every Saturday so that was really cool.

Everyone was down to earth and seemed much more relatable than the previous staff. Really excited to see what they can do.

This gets me even more excited for this staff and Mean Green Future

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Marty said:

Thanks for the recap. Forgot to listen tonight.

That makes two of us, super pissed I missed it

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Don't know if anyone else went to the coaches show(I don't know many faces from the board) but I wanted to offer a few thoughts:

Very exciting time at Rudy's. You could tell there was an excitement in the air for the new coaching staff, spring game, and upcoming season. Coach Littrell seemed much more relaxed than in previous speaking opportunities and Dave, as always, was great. One humongous difference in this staff is the energy they all bring to the table. I swear all of them look like they could put on pads and a helmet and play tomorrow. Lots of energy from them.

My biggest takeaway was the overall will to win. These guys don't seem to care about anything but how they can win games. Ekeler seems like he and Reffett will make formidable duo in coaching schemes and principles, and Harrell is a chip off the old Mike Leach block. Admittedly I was a bit starstruck with Harrell as I grew up in West Texas watching him sling it every Saturday so that was really cool.

Everyone was down to earth and seemed much more relatable than the previous staff. Really excited to see what they can do.

Yeah, I met Harrell at the Coaches meet and greet and totally froze which led to awkward handshake/ "Good Luck and Welcome to UNT" with nothing else being said

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Admittedly, I wasn't there... but it's hard for me to imagine a coach with more "energy" than McCarney.   If you're saying these guys have more energy than McCarney, they must have been pacing around yelling and gesturing during their interviews.

macho-man-interview-o.gif

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Admittedly, I wasn't there... but it's hard for me to imagine a coach with more "energy" than McCarney.   If you're saying these guys have more energy than McCarney, they must have been pacing around yelling and gesturing during their interviews.

macho-man-interview-o.gif

Basically. In all seriousness McCarney had that fake "Please be excited, I'm desperate" energy.

These guys had the kind of energy that said we're here to work, we're not gonna make excuses, and we're gonna have fun doing it

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Basically. In all seriousness McCarney had that fake "Please be excited, I'm desperate" energy.

These guys had the kind of energy that said we're here to work, we're not gonna make excuses, and we're gonna have fun doing it

Once we all kinda figured him out after a year or two of hearing the same things over & over, yeah...  But at first, his schtick was enough to make just about any fan run through a brick wall for him.  I remember being just blown away by his energy during his first coaches caravan in Denton back in 2011 and knowing that this was the guy who would lead us to the promised land.  We all though we'd reached it Jan. 1, 2014... but we were very very wrong.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Once we all kinda figured him out after a year or two of hearing the same things over & over, yeah...  But at first, his schtick was enough to make just about any fan run through a brick wall for him.  I remember being just blown away by his energy during his first coaches caravan in Denton back in 2011 and knowing that this was the guy who would lead us to the promised land.  We all though we'd reached it Jan. 1, 2014... but we were very very wrong.

After a year or two?  I figured it out the second time I heard him speak and heard him rehashing the exact same things that sounded so cool the first time I heard him speak.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

After a year or two?  I figured it out the second time I heard him speak and heard him rehashing the exact same things that sounded so cool the first time I heard him speak.

First Mac Speech - "When you're in Florida, the Iowa is a national championship ring and we will win running the ball and playing good defense."

*Loud applause and cheering from the crowd*

Second Mac Speech - "In the Florida, the Iowa was running the ball and playing good defense with a national championship"

*Applause is significantly more quiet*

Last Mac Speech -"Portland St. obviously had more Iowa than our Florida could muster. They the ran ball well and Iowa'd when we Florida'd and when that happens national championship rings are scarce"

*Crickets*

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

First Mac Speech - "When you're in Florida, the Iowa is a national championship ring and we will win running the ball and playing good defense."

*Loud applause and cheering from the crowd*

Second Mac Speech - "In the Florida, the Iowa was running the ball and playing good defense with a national championship"

*Applause is significantly more quiet*

Last Mac Speech -"Portland St. obviously had more Iowa than our Florida could muster. They the ran ball well and Iowa'd when we Florida'd and when that happens national championship rings are scarce"

*Crickets*

To be honest, the Iowa comments never bothered me that much.  Coaches typically talk about where they're from.  The Florida comments wouldn't have either, but he always seemed to be using the national championship they had while he was there as some kind of self-promotion.  And every time he spoke, you were guaranteed to hear, "six seconds, tough, tenacious," and a million other cliches that provided almost no actual information.

On 4/20/2016 at 10:49 PM, Withers940 said:

Yeah, I met Harrell at the Coaches meet and greet and totally froze which led to awkward handshake/ "Good Luck and Welcome to UNT" with nothing else being said

When was the last time UNT had a coach on the football staff that legitimately had reached legend status in the state of Texas?...or heck, anywhere?  I have no idea how this translates to helping us win games, but I still find this story interesting as I can't really remember anyone like this since possibly Kelvin Martin coached under Dickey?

6 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Todd Dodge?

Dan McCarney?

Dodge I can see, somewhat. He was considered "the" high school QB whisperer at the time.  Does that translate to other positions, though? Also he was a major reach as head coach straight from high school and I think that took some of the shine off. It did for me.  Not Mac, though.  He's not walking into any living rooms and making kids go star struck.

18 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Dodge I can see, somewhat. He was considered "the" high school QB whisperer at the time.  Does that translate to other positions, though? Also he was a major reach as head coach straight from high school and I think that took some of the shine off. It did for me.  Not Mac, though.  He's not walking into any living rooms and making kids go star struck.

You said anywhere.  He is in the Iowa State hall of fame.  Everyone in Iowa knows Dan McCarney.  

• Upvote 1